Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Florida in-laws are heading in and want to ski Thursday. My brother-in-law has never skied, so needs a lesson. I thought Breck would be good for a lesson because I took lessons there and enjoyed it, because I know the mountain (more than Key or Copper, which is basically the only places I go, because frankly I'm not much of a winter sports enthusiast).

Anyone disagree with my Breck/Peak 8 choice (it's the side I know how to navigate best)?

Where should I rent gear down here (I'm in the Littleton/Highlands Ranch area) for them before we head up?

And since I haven't skied in 3 years, where are the best lift ticket prices these days? Soopers? Christies?

Thanks dudes.
Watch out on the lift at Peak 8 on Thursday... I'll have my snowboard out. Wear ankle protection!

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think breck is a great place to learn to ski, they have long easy greens, and plenty to do for person who might be "over it". I learned there 33 years ago. If BIL is athletic at all, I reccommend a private 1 hour lesson to get him rolling. Those group lessons are gonna be full of folks who aren't athletically inclined this time of year - and the worst of them will get all the attention. There are probably some good packages to include rental and lesson. One nice thing about renting on mountain is if something goes wrong the shop is right there. Can't help on the ticket front.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well the most important question is do you like your in-laws? If not take them to the top of Peak 8 right off the bat. If you do like them, try Peak 9.

Since they put in the gondola, Peak 8 is a mess with long lift lines and crowded groomers. I recommend Peak 9 as it generally is not as crowded as Peak 8, especially now with the Christmas break crowds. Try Colorado Ski and Golf for rentals. There is one near SW Plaza (8100 W. Crestline, Littleton, CO Ph: 303-948-7550). Lift tickets, I have no idea as I haven't bought one in years.

I bought a pair of teleskis from these guys and I really like them. AMR Ski Rentals: Ski and Snowboard rentals plus gear and accessories. Located in the City Market Plaza #10A. tele. 970-453-6921. Breckenridge, CO

·
Registered
118 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
This sounds more like you want a good place to baby sit them while you have fun skiing... Echo mountain or Eldora or some small joint like that. It's cheaper and not so crowded for beginners. The bigger areas are nice and all but in reality your in-law will realize only a sliver of the mountain's potential.

·
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, thanks for all the feedback. I did go with Breck/Keystone, and probably am going Breck (tomorrow, the 30th, so watch out for 3 gapers on Peak 8!). I'm not really sure I remember how to turn my snowboard after 3 years without riding. Hopefully it has some instinctive memory buried in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts