Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about doing a trip to AZ to run the Salt this spring. Does anyone have any info on this trip. I understand that 2 permits are required; one from a native tribe and a more elusive permit from the Forest Service.

How difficult is it to get a permit for this river?

Is it worth a trip from Fort Collins?

What's the weather generally like by late March?

Just how difficult is Quartzite Falls for a raft? Can it be portaged by raft by people who arn't expert climbers? My girlfriend might not want to run her raft through there.

Are there hiking opportunities/ Good Scenery?

How many days are optimal for this run? What are optimal flows for a first time run?

Are there any major hazards such as perenial wood gathering spots or other nasty rapids to be aware of?

Any other imput or interesting links would be appreciated? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
774 Posts
If you can get on it is worth the trip from the Fort.

I've been on it twice in late March one was beautiful weather one was cold and windy, but still nicer than the fort.

Quartzite really isn't that bad from what I remember if you are at the right spot in the entrance you don't have to do anything else in it. Probably easier to run then portage.

There are several great hikes and the scenery is nice becuase you get several different desert environments as you go downstream.

Probably not a ton of help but it should answer a few of your questions.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
My girlfriend might not want to run her raft through there.
I have the same problem with my girlfriend from time to time..............if you call it a problem. To me it means I get to run the rapid twice!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
428 Posts
1. Can be difficult, especially for late March/ early April.
2. Yes
3. 70s day/ 40s night
4. It would be one HELL of a hard portage. There's a huge pool at the bottom before the next drop (Corkscrew). It's not that hard of a rapid.
5. Yes
6. 4-5
7. 1000+
8. Not really
9. WhitewaterCampsites.com has some decent maps

·
Registered
428 Posts
Floaty22 and Siriosis are down there running it today. Should have a full TR by early next week.

Flows look like they'll hold above 1000 until Sunday at the Chrysotile gauge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts