Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Great info, thanks! One thing I like about the 12 Max is that you can put a longer frame on it than on the Outfitter. I can envision some scenarios where I'm solo going very light on an overnight where I might want to rig a platform so I can throw down a bivy sack and sleep on the boat. The max frame length for the Outfitter is 5'6". That might make the difference for me. Even though I will probably never use the boat as a paddle boat. Is that the 12 Max in your photo? I love the white.
Note that the frame will definitely be wider on the 12' or 13' outfitter...so if you set it up right you could sleep cross ways on those. Unless you put a cot between bays...I've found it hard to find a nice flat spot to sleep on with your feet pointed at the bow or stern. The extra width inside the boat is big too.

Honestly...I'd get the 13' outfitter. Way more interior room for reasonable size dryboxes and coolers for multi-day but still small enough to paddle raft with 2-7 people. It has the straight tube length you want and the extra width is nice. Its a bit heavier and about a grand more expensive though...so if you can handle the slightly shorter length you could save yourself in those ways by going with the 12'er which would also be an awesome boat. Not sure if there will be that much difference of it being rolled up compared to the Max 12 either. A little wider, but should be able to roll it to about the same diameter.

This is always a weird time to buy a used raft.... you'll see a lot more in the spring. Most people have put their rafting setup into winter storage mode.

There is definitely savings to be made by buying an entire setup from someone and you won't have to piecemeal everything. I agree that Hyside setups are hard to come by cheap...but still probably cheaper then buying it all new.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you all for your time and interest. After reading all the replies I’m now leaning towards a 13’ boat. And to the Hyside Outfitter series rather than the Max. My next question is would it be worth it to pay an extra $600 or so for a 13’ Pro series? It has the heavier material but other than weight the same specs as the 13’ Outfitter. I really can only own one boat at a time. And I would consider a 14’ boat but I am at the absolute limit of my budget at 5k for the rubber alone. I also would consider a good used boat but as we all know these boats hold their value to an unbelievable degree. They're like Sprinter vans in that regard. And there really isn’t much available. There are 20 year old boats going for half of a new boat now. 10 year old boats are 75% of a new one or more. As an example there is a 14' Hyside for sale near me that the owner bought from an outfitter in 2002. So it's ridiculously old and hard used. But I bet it's awesome. I believe him when he says it holds air better than his new boat. He wants $2800obo. That's half of what a brand new Hyside 14' Pro would cost. But maybe the way to go? Should I make an offer on it. Do I really need to spend the extra money on a new boat? Any thoughts? Thanks everyone.
Go with the Pro. The extra denier pretty much makes the boat bulletproof. And like you mentioned, hysides keep their value. Buying the pro will only increase your resale value when it sounds like you'll inevitably sell.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes, that is the Max 12 in my Avatar photo. If you don't plan to use it as a paddle boat I would go with the outfitter model for a little more space for multi day trips. I love the white and will never own another boat that is not that color if I have my choice. I also would not worry about getting the Pro series with the heavier Denier. For our use that is over kill and you will also save considerable weight. Happy Shopping!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Good info, thanks. I've got a full sized Suburban with all of the rear seats removed. I built a platform so now I have a 4'x8' storage area in the back. Great for sleeping in the rig, but amazing for hauling gear. It also has great hidden storage under the front part of the platform. I should be able to get all the gear, frame and the rolled raft in the back for those times when I don't want to haul the trailer. I will use a trailer most of the time. Especially for fishing when I might be putting in and taking out every day for a week.
I have a suburban and with the back row removed I can pack the fam for whatever duration we choose to go (weeks). Then again we put dry bags on top, but that 2nd row gains you a lot of space. Suburban’s really are a great gear hauler. Kinda jealous of the Diesel Ford Excursions though.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I saw that Cascade has a used 13’ Sotar. Needs some patching on the floor. It’s half the price of the Hyside though.

·
Registered
82 Posts

Love my Max 12. I R2 it. I take my whole family of 6 in it as a paddle boat and I use it as a multi day gear hauler. Pretty versatile boat for a 12 footer. The long center section allows a bigger frame for gear hauling. Obviously I'm biased, but hey, you asked. Have fun boat shop

21 - 26 of 26 Posts