Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somehow I got myself involved in a taking a small youth group (about 10 youth) on a “river adventure” down the Grizzly to New Castle section in duckies with myself as the “safety kayaker”. We’ll probably run the easy sections of the Roaring Fork as well so I think the kids should have a good time.

Problem 1 – Camping: I need to find some good (meaning needs an outhouse), cheap, camping near Glenwood. Any ideas?? Even 30+mins away but cheap would still work.

Problem 2 - Boats: Least expensive, multiple day duckie rentals. Anyone know where I can get ‘em?

Thanks

·
Registered
569 Posts
Rock Gardens can be real reasonable this time of year and you could even begin your trip right there were you are camping. I do not know if the toilets are turned on yet and all that but they also rent duckies I believe.

http://www.rockgardens.com/
Peter

·
Registered
587 Posts
You might wamt to checkout the KOA campground in New Castle. I've rented fron Whitewater over the years and like them fine,

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bingo -
We have many tandem and single person duckies available if you're located in the front range. Paddles, PFD's, etc, as well.

303/277-0133

Mark

·
Registered
587 Posts
Oh yeah, Ami's Acres and the Hideout have camping too. In the phone book. If the roads open Avalance Creek in the Nat'l forest is good. And so is the BRB campground above C-dale.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Rock Garden - Arrrgghh!

I have only camped at Rock Garden once, and now vow never to return. The trains go through that canyon multiple times through the night, and they are loud. Camper Beware - unless you are totally wasted and/or can sleep through the end of the world, you will probably not get a peaceful night's sleep.

There is a BLM campground near Wolcott, probably not very full yet. get off I70 at Wolcott, and go about 1.5 miles west on HWY 6. Right by the river, and there are a couple large rocks there that folks boulder on (fun for the kids?). A little more than 30 minutes to Glenwood, but far less than 1 hour.

·
Super Moderator
4,035 Posts
Anyone know about rates/availability at the No Name campground?

Also - something to consider is that if you'll be boating before June in any weather short of a heat wave, you'll likely want wetsuits for anyone that will be paddling duckies.

Have fun!

--Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts