Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a newbie.

Can anyone tell me about the Seedhouse Road section of the Elk? I'd like to float it, but wonder about appropriate flows for my 14' raft, levels I should float it, and where the put in is. I think the take out is just upstream from Clark.

Oh and I'm I looking at pretty much class III?

THanks in advance,

Bill

N

·
0 Posts
The Elk is a good section of river for rafts but it is swift and cold as hell. I think you would probably want over 1,500 cfs in there to float a raft since it is a bit wider of a river bed below seedhouse. Everything is roadside so you can check it out on the way up. There are no eddies at all on the majority of the elk section, especially at 4,000 and over. I would give it a 3 + to a rafter since if one of you crew does fall out the current is pretty swift. If you need a saftey boater or someone to follow you down at a descent flow give me a buzz.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Elk is a good section of river for rafts but it is swift and cold as hell. I think you would probably want over 1,500 cfs in there to float a raft since it is a bit wider of a river bed below seedhouse. Everything is roadside so you can check it out on the way up. There are no eddies at all on the majority of the elk section, especially at 4,000 and over. I would give it a 3 + to a rafter since if one of you crew does fall out the current is pretty swift. If you need a saftey boater or someone to follow you down at a descent flow give me a buzz.
Thanks for taking the time for a reply. I would love to float this stretch of river. It would be great to float it with another boat. Do you live in the area and how much advanced planning do you need?

·
Registered
480 Posts
It gets going pretty fast in there and eddies are not too common. I've done it a couple of times and each time we came upon downed trees all the way across the river. Not much time to stop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It gets going pretty fast in there and eddies are not too common. I've done it a couple of times and each time we came upon downed trees all the way across the river. Not much time to stop.
Yeah, I've wondered about that. That river moves along a pretty good drop in elevation.

N

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
That's quite a hyperlink, Nick.

·
Registered
70 Posts
tree in box canyon

Not that you'd be taking a raft through Box canyon, but when we were skiing up there a couple weeks ago we noticed a tree all the way across the river below the falls in box canyon. It looked like the tree would probably be barely submerged at higher water, but maybe it'll wash out too. As for the lower elk, as long as you have solid skills in continuous clas 3 you should be okay in all but flood stage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts