Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a securable lid meets the BLM, FS, NPS standards for groovers? I have not been rafting for several years and getting back into it. Used to use a rocket box lined with a bunch of good quality plastic garbage bags and a toilet seat sitting on top. I thought that worked great but have heard it is no longer the groover de joure. (probably didn't spell that right but you know what i mean.)

·
Registered
786 Posts
5 gallon buckets work on the Idaho rivers and at Westwater - used them multiple times on those sections. I assume the other FS and BLM launches would allow buckets, but I would check.

NPS is a different story. I was told that plastic buckets wouldn't fly at Dinosaur when I called in before my Yampa trip last year. I also doubt they would let you use buckets on the Grand, but I'm not sure.

Rocket boxes are still allowed everywhere.

·
Registered
194 Posts
...I also doubt they would let you use buckets on the Grand, but I'm not sure.
Brian K. is right--plastic bucket toilet systems aren't allowed on the Colorado River within the Grand Canyon (pages 18-19 of GC Non-Commercial River Trip Regulations).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can anyone tell me if a 5 gallon plastic bucket with a securable lid meets the BLM, FS, NPS standards for groovers? I have not been rafting for several years and getting back into it. Used to use a rocket box lined with a bunch of good quality plastic garbage bags and a toilet seat sitting on top. I thought that worked great but have heard it is no longer the groover de joure. (probably didn't spell that right but you know what i mean.)
Ammo cans are still far and away the best option, for affordability, reliability and for satisfying all regulations. The main difference since you last used them, it sounds like, is that bags are now discouraged or outright prohibited, depending on where you go. On the other hand, there are now some pretty good eco-friendly gelling, composting and deodorant products out there, that have made things easier and more pleasant. Also, if you're lucky, there are now SCAT machines at many takeouts, which make end-of-trip cleaning easier too!

Welcome back!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Being allowed is one thing. Taking a chance is another. I wasn't there but my buddy told me about his trip where the GER (groover equiped raft ;)) took a particularly bad section upside down. When it came to rest in an eddy, it was being circulated in a pool of rafting gear marinading in debrit. The buckets flex, and can and do spill.

Allowed or not, I will never take that chance. Rocket box only.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Yum, Eddie Poop Soup. Make sure you get enough corn.

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself

1 - 13 of 13 Posts