Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
hawkeye
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm headed up to Bozeman on the 30th and I hear that quake lake is a pretty fun run. Unfortunately I've got no one to paddle with and minimum beta on the area. Anyone up for joining me for some runs on quake lake when I get up there?

·
hawkeye
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I'm running it solo is there anything I need to worry about? I feel fairly solid with my scouting skills, but info is always helpful.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Couple seives, one is right were current pushs but boof left and its all good. Trees standing in river, all road side. Quick laps but fun. Chill level like mini north fork

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quake Lake Solo is a solid step up from Lower Mesa solo. I have seen 1 really bad pin there, 2 heinous near-drowning swims and a guy died last year. I would not recommend it solo. Lower Mesa you don't even need to know how to roll.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
If I can make it I'll boat it with you still trying to figure which group I'm dropping in the box with

also people have broken there backs at mesa so i choose to at least have somebody come along to watch. shes a dirty B*tch

·
Registered
478 Posts
Another vote for not running mesa solo. I know plenty of first year boaters have run it ( myself included) and a couch has run it but its still a big waterfall. I have talked to one guy who said he ended up behind the curtain while running left line....

·
Registered
186 Posts
i ran quake lake a couple times solo. easy scout from the road and easy to miss most the meat by running down the the side. maybe different flows would mean mandatory meat lines but it is definately continuous in your face kinda run. short and sweet in a play boat. definately not for everybody.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Some thoughts on Quake...

First, PM me regarding when you want to hit quake. I may be able to ditch work and connect with you. Knowledge of the various lines and the handful of hazards from someone who knows it well is a wise move before hitting solo laps.

If you are comfortable soloing in Class IV-V whitewater you do not know, then you don't need my advice... You will see it when you scout. That said, a playboat is a piss-poor idea for this run. Anything that may help you to pin under/in the sharp, shallow slide debris or assist in getting you upside down in that nasty business at speed should be avoided. There is no call for that type of craft on Quake, in my opinion. Sure, it can be done and done well... But why handicap yourself? If you pin alone, you are done and the shore "lines" are the epitome, if not the definition, of blast rock mank. No one is going to get anywhere near you in time and it is gonna be a ugly, desperate ordeal, if not a horrific and untimely passing. Even at low flows, the speed of the water is tremendous and the rock is very, very fresh. 2 of the 3 boaters I know that have swam it name it as one of the worst and thee worst swim of their lives, respectively. These guys are solid and well-travelled class V boaters with plenty of epic wet exits under their belts.

The same logic goes for Henrys Fork. The sheer height of the falls means a spine issue is well within the realm of possibility, and again, no one will get to your aid in a reasonable time frame. As stated above, if all goes well, it is an enormous plop and drop that many a green boater has styled.

For the record, I love to solo Quake and would venture to say I have more runs on it than anyone (Well over 100 laps, majority solo). I am a local and it is a place I go often to check my pulse. I just felt the need to point out that neither of these are casual solo endeavours, even if your skill level is high. And the risk/reward factor should be seriously considered.

Drop me that PM and let's see what we can do. I swear I am more fun than the geezer slathered in old folk cream that scrawled the paragraphs above and I am so god-damned handsome and chiseled that hitching the shuttle is a lark. (Read: 29 laps = vertical mile)

Best,
Dave

·
Registered
90 Posts
No legend here...

But could not stomach another sad scenario out there without having said a little something that might help. BTW - OneFatDog - To each their own. If you dig it in a playboat, sweet. Just didn't want the impression that it is something that is chill in a playboat out there clouding how I see the reality of it. No harm intended.
Mike - Thanks for dragging me outta bed for that dubba Rosebud assault strikeforce mission. So fun.
Best,
Dave

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Got those files for you Dave! the dubbudz were dope great day as I'm glad we were able to show some support for the release.. Don't think I'll make quake Monday going for Sunday Monday box mission sorry boys rally that shit and be safe

·
Registered
186 Posts
But could not stomach another sad scenario out there without having said a little something that might help. BTW - OneFatDog - To each their own. If you dig it in a playboat, sweet. Just didn't want the impression that it is something that is chill in a playboat out there clouding how I see the reality of it. No harm intended.
Mike - Thanks for dragging me outta bed for that dubba Rosebud assault strikeforce mission. So fun.
Best,
Dave

Uh... yeah to each thier own, clearly spelled out. Play boat was the only option b/c thats what was on the roof. it goes. sick ass waves in there but scketchy play. back in the day the kingpin saw some lines that would have been way safer in a creeker. point is it's a super easy scout, no sort of canyon commitment and just giving beta to someone who asked. if that's YOUR run than run it YOUR way. but you can be sneaky bitch down that, that's all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Easy OFD, wasn't calling you out...

Don't own the run, but have seen what happens when you run it more than a couple good laps. As such, I felt it important to point out that the playboat thing down the bank could be a touch misleading. Have at it how you like and it sounds like you did. Good on you. Shit, it may go for a solid SUP'r for all I know... Nothing personal.
Best,
Dave

1 - 18 of 18 Posts