Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked Pyranha's boats and am looking for a fun, somewhat forgiving playboat that can run rivers too.

Years ago I paddled a Pyranha sub 7 and liked it, but want something a little better for the playpark, but also good on a wave.

How's the 420 carve, and roll?

For reference, my most loved and hated boat was a Riot Turbo 52-amazing on a wave, but not very forgiving and very boxy sides, so rolling was not always easy...

Other boats to consider?

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I paddled a 420. Its boxy and awkward. I didn't think it really did anything well. Looking to personally try the Molan and Jed. If you want to surf but have no intention of throwing aerials you might want to check out the Loki too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. Yeah, looking to get back into yakin after some years away. Basically looking to get a river running playboat- lots of options out there. Jackson 4Fun is the frontrunner, but used availability and a good deal may make look at other boats too.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Look at the Varun, seems to have been discontinued, but is a great boat in the river running playboat class- might still be some new ones around on the cheap, too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i really liked the 420

I loved my 420, but then I was also a touch over the top of the weight range of the small one, so it didnt feel boxy or awkward at all. I found it to roll great, easy to slice the ends in, and initiate great (though not a lot of pop for arial tricks, but then I was overweight for it so expected). Pretty stable for river running, even overweighted. Quite tight on my feet though.

For what you describe, 420 seems like it'd be a good fit, as would the Fun.

Molan or Jed aren't as forgiving, definitely full play oriented. Of the 2 i much prefer the Jed. Varun would be stable/ forgiving, but my brief demoing found it decidedly un-playful. May have been a size thing.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Personally, I love the 420 as a river-runner play boat. I weight 190, 5'10" and paddle a M-L, very happily. Boat is not slow (also not fast) and carvey enough to feel good seriously big water.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
The 420 is an okay boat, and you could certainly do worse for that price point of used kayak. However, the Molan, and more recently the Jed, are much better designs for park and play.

Like Logan said, if you have no intention of catching air, and only want to carve on waves and stern squirt eddies, then a longer, lower profile river runner like the Loki will be more appropriate, and more fun for down river travel.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep

The 420 is an okay boat, and you could certainly do worse for that price point of used kayak. However, the Molan, and more recently the Jed, are much better designs for park and play.

Like Logan said, if you have no intention of catching air, and only want to carve on waves and stern squirt eddies, then a longer, lower profile river runner like the Loki will be more appropriate, and more fun for down river travel.
Yeah, I agree. Looking for a used 4fun or similar boat- trying to keep my boat cost down to around $400 or so..

Another couple months and there'll be lots of boats for sale.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I paddled one for 4 years. I rather liked it as a river running play boat. Rolls fine. Pretty stable in big water once you figure out that you have to lean forward to keep the stern from catching. Carves nicely. It's also fairly slicey for a spud boat. As someone else pointed out, maybe not great for aerials…but I managed to get a few loops in it.

I have a M/L for sale in Fort Collins.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just picked up a pyramha recoil. It still has some life left and for me just getting back into the sport I think it will be just fine. The price was right.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts