Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone done this stretch and have some advice on the trip? Is this a three day two night and how is the camping situation. I'm thinking about an early to mid-may trip (weather dependent) to get warmed up for the summer.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
I did this stretch a couple of years ago in a sea kayak. It was late summer and the water was fairly low. I believe it took us 3 days (2 nights). We downloaded the pdf file from the BLM and printed it on waterproof paper, it's really all you need just to let you know where the private land is. The camping sucked, the rapids will barely keep you awake and it is not the most scenic trip.
There is a almost nice little red wall canyon after Burns that I would recommend camping in.
Good luck!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i guess it is good to be floating down any river and not worrying about anything else but that...

·
Super Moderator
4,034 Posts
Like anything, how good the Upper C is depends on what your objective is. The run has Class II and occasional Class III rapids, floats through lovely, though not "breathtaking," scenery below Rancho del Rio, has decent fishing, and after you get past State Bridge, you'll have relative solitude on the river. There's also a main east-west railroad on one bank or the other for the entire length of the trip, a road following much of the river, spotty camping below Bond, and some of the camps are also accessible by car or 4x4.

If you have expectations of a wilderness or high-adreneline whitewater run you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Bring an appreciation of just being on the water and earplugs for sleeping through trains passing within 300 yds during the night and you should have a good trip.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It's a decent enough trip. I've floated a good chunk of this.There was a steady current and some good scenery. I was able to catch some fish but the fishing is not spectacular. Most of the campsites are not obvious from upstream so be prepared to ram the bank and jump out at the last second. keep the BLM map handy so you do not end up on private property.

BTW - you probably want Rancho Del Rio to run the shuttle.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice. I am actually just looking for a mellow float on this trip since i will have some new boaters with me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good mellow run...marginal fishing?

Thanks for the advice. I am actually just looking for a mellow float on this trip since i will have some new boaters with me.
OK, the fishing through that stretch can be lights out, the other posters must have hit it at bad times. However, this run in May will likely be blown out for fishing and could be interesting from a rapid standpoint. I have never run it at high water but depending on the runoff, you could be in for a pleasant surprise in terms of rapids (nothing over class III) but it could be kinda pushy.

I find the train to be kinda charming, if you sleep heavily it is kinda cool to hear it rumble by in the night a few times and just fall back to sleep. Camping for me has always been good, but can be really busy so figure out where you want to be and don't miss the takeouts, like the others said, they can be hard to spot.

Have fun!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone done this stretch and have some advice on the trip? Is this a three day two night and how is the camping situation. I'm thinking about an early to mid-may trip (weather dependent) to get warmed up for the summer.
three days is a long one in May, this run can be done in one big day when the water is high (which it should be then). There's not much to do in camp when the water is high (no fishing?) so plan accordingly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts