Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anything to worry about for a semi-newbie rafter and family? I've oared it before a much lower water with no problems. wondering about eye of the needle and yarmony at this level. thx.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I ran pumphouse all the way to state bridge yesterday. Waves are somewhat bigger than normal on eye of the needle, but nothing to worry about if you've run it before. Main rapid between radium and yarmony, (not sure the exact name, yarmony?) actually ran easier at higher level. I saw a few rafts run it, they all entered rapid river left to avoid rock in center, then finished middle rest of the way. No problems.

anything to worry about for a semi-newbie rafter and family? I've oared it before a much lower water with no problems. wondering about eye of the needle and yarmony at this level. thx.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Pumphouse

Rowed it last week at about 2200, 14' fishing frame raft, big waves below needle's eye, but Right side is runnable at entrance so it is easier than at low water when you have to run the needle river left. Water level gives you more options at the bottom of the needle, but be prepared to pull away from the wall on river right as the river turns left at the end of that rapid. Red Canyon was fine, bigger waves, fewer rocks. I found it easier than at lower levels. That said, I'd follow all the rules, instruction, well-fitted pfds, etc.

SH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts