Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm having some family visit from out of town, and wanted to give them a taste of our great sport, so I was thinking of sticking them in a duckie and leading them on a relatively mellow run. My first thought at this time in the year with flows was Grizzly Creek to Two Rivers on the Colorado near Glenwood. I've run it a couple times myself in the kayak, and think it's all very easy and straightforward, and thus super safe for the pure beginners in a duckie.

But, then I thought pumphouse might be a bit more enjoyable, with it being bit more removed from civilization, a bit more scenic with the canyons, etc. Unfortunately, I don't know all of the pumphouse run through state bridge...I have run some of it, but not all of it. So, I'm wondering if there are any particular 'gotchas' that I should be aware of, and in particular, should I thus stay away from trying to lead some pure beginners down it in a duckie. I'll even put myself in a duckie so I can get a better sense of exactly what they need to do in any rapid, but I want to make sure they'll be safe.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any info!

Scott

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes, I led a (very) beginner in a kayak a couple weeks ago at 900 cfs. It's tame. No swims. We took out at Radium, so I have to reserve judgement if you plan on going all the way to state-bridge takeout.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts