Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first raft (16’ RMR) and slowly piecing the whole thing together. I’m currently looking at pumps - obviously the Carlson hand pump is a classic and what I use to top off when guiding commercial trips...
BUT does anyone have a recommendation for an electric pump that can be used for both rafts & SUPs? Thanks!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Electric pumps will get your boat to shape with little effort, but will never fully inflate it to pressure. You’ll definitely need to use your SUP pump to get it to pressure. There are a number of posts touting various electric blowers (Makita, Ryobi, Dewalt, Milwaukee etc). If you use a particular brand (ie already have their proprietary batteries), look for their blower that can be used or slightly modified to become a raft inflator But you will still always need a manual pump for topping off and/or for use on rivers that don’t allow motorized tools (for wilderness protocols).

·
Registered
136 Posts
I don’t believe using an electric blower in a wilderness setting breaks any protocols. I could be wrong. But if someone could show me where it says that I would be grateful.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’m not sure of the current interpretation of the rules they are following, but a few years ago we weren’t allowed to use a battery powered water filter on the Middle Fork since it was mechanized equipment. So a blower would most likely be out too. For example.

“No mechanized or motorized equipment allowed.”

·
Registered
23 Posts
Electric blowers are not allowed in wilderness. It is in the first sentence of the document that you linked. "With only very narrow exceptions, the Wilderness Act bars the use of motor vehicles, motorized equipment or motorboats, the landing of aircraft, and any other form of mechanical transport within wilderness areas." Battery powered tools would fall under the category of motorized equipment. I agree that rafts are a type of mechanical transport in that the oars could be considered moving parts, but they are specifically allowed under both USFS and BLM interpretations.

If I'm in wilderness, I have a Carlson 6" Barrel, but I'm thinking about getting the K220 Kpump to get the higher PSI for the ISUP.

Outside of wilderness, I'm a fan of my Dewalt 20v Inflator, although the blower would be faster. For the garage, I have a cheap 110V Sevylor pump that fills to just over 2 psi. I still have to top off the ISUP with a manual pump to get to 15 PSI.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Nothing beats a Man of Rubber blower... It ain't cheap, but it will inflate to 3PSI.. As well, Carlson makes the most bomber barrel pumps out there, and they aint' cheap either. Just remember, good gear ain't cheap, and cheap gear ain't good..

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have tried many pumps in the last 30 years but a Dewalt (or similar brand, ie milwaulkee work well also) 20v Max Compact Jobsite Blower current model DCE100B works the best. It will pump several boats up completely, and if you need more just carry an extra battery. We use it to inflate at the launch, deflate at takeout. Comes with adapters that do a decent job of fitting most valves. Use a Kpump to top off in the mornings. Use it to inflate air mattress also!

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Remember, all DeWalt batteries are not created equal, the 2ah ones run for 5 minutes, the 6ah ones last a little longer.. I yearn for the days of the 18 volt nicads as the last a LOT longer than today's new and "improved" lithium ion ones...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Bravo dual stage pumps are awesome. You can put the hose in, set the PSI dial, connect it to the car battery or car lighter outlet, turn on and go gear up while it fills. The pump shuts off when it hits the PSI setting. No topping off needed. There are several models of Bravo pumps and you need to be careful to select only a dual stage pump. This will allow the pump to inflate your craft to the proper inflation without any additional assistance.

Most single stage pumps will require you to top off your craft with a hand or foot pump because they cannot inflate to the proper PSI.

Here is a dual stage pump, for example:

The way these pumps work (very simplified version) is the first stage starts and fills the craft very quickly but it has zero pressure capabilities. As soon as the air fills enough of the craft to create back pressure against the pump, stage 2 powers up, can handle the pressure, and finishes the job. :)

Sure beats hand or foot pumping!!

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Electric pumps will get your boat to shape with little effort, but will never fully inflate it to pressure. You’ll definitely need to use your SUP pump to get it to pressure. There are a number of posts touting various electric blowers (Makita, Ryobi, Dewalt, Milwaukee etc). If you use a particular brand (ie already have their proprietary batteries), look for their blower that can be used or slightly modified to become a raft inflator But you will still always need a manual pump for topping off and/or for use on rivers that don’t allow motorized tools (for wilderness protocols).
How about the Makita or deWalt 18v blowers? Super handy, but a bit pricey.
4th or 5th or whatever on cordless blowers. I bought the Milwaukee 0884-20 last fall after reading one of these threads; didn't touch a raft with it until last month.

I am VERY impressed. Under 4min to do a 13' raft, floor, thwarts. My old 12v chargers were easily 3x that.

Remember, all DeWalt batteries are not created equal, the 2ah ones run for 5 minutes, the 6ah ones last a little longer.. I yearn for the days of the 18 volt nicads as the last a LOT longer than today's new and "improved" lithium ion ones...
As far as regular handyman tools go, pick your favorite color. Yellow, red, and blue are all similar quality. Green and orange are also just fine for handymen. For trade tools, DeWalt has specialized in rough carpentry, Milwaukee has a TON of trade tools--mechanical, electrical, plumbing, auto mechanics...and Makita has more finish carpentry fine work tools.

But Milwaukee has the others beat for batteries. I can do 3 boats on one 3.0ah charge.
Pretty much everyone uses 18650 Lithium ion cells.
Milwaukee's High Output batteries use 21700 Li--Ion cells--they have much greater power density per cell. You get more amps (faster allowable discharge rate) and also longer runtime between charging. They're also spendy.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
My personal opinion, is that Milwaukee makes the best, DeWalt is second best, and the rest are about the same. I don't know if they make a blower, but rigid tools are great, they have a lifetime guarantee, including the batteries! The downside I've seen is that they are heavy

That being said pretty much everything I own in the way of cordless tools is DeWalt, cuz once I went down that gopher hole it's hard to throw away a perfectly good tool just cuz there's something better out there

Reactions: MT4Runner

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Some people buy the best tool regardless of battery platform, but I'm with you on the gopher hole. I decided to go red and stick with it so I can grab any battery off the shelf or charger and go to work.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts