Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about taking my parents down mighty pump house the weekend of Gore Fest. I'm not much of a fest sort of person so I've never been. How chaotic is the Pump house put in at that time. Would we have a problem unloading a raft at the put in and camping on the water sat night? Never camped on pump house. Do you need a res/permit to camp? I can't remember. I'd hate to show up with a $275 raft rental and not be able to put on. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You should be fine, the ramps are not too busy, except the commercial outfitters, you dont need a permit, but you do need to pay the daily use fee's at pumphouse. The camping is also pretty good, you shouldt have a problem getting a spot. good run for the folks...

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Bigboater -
$275 raft rental???? If you were running Cataract or Westwater, that's one thing but that seems really steep for a few hours on the river.

Call the local raft companies up here and see what you can swing. Their season's drawing to a close and maybe they can give you a deal on a raft for the day before they put them in storage. Save yourself a few bucks and that way you can buy us a keg at Gorefest! :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time at current flows. My lower limit with a raft is 700 cfs and even then it's bony and a long float to Rancho. Save your cash.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Partyboy---maybe you could Safety Boat for the guy going down the Pumphouse Run or better he he can safety raft for you in the "eye of the needle"!!!!

How was your numbers run? heard ya greased #5 by walking around it!!! You WUSS!!!! Sack up! I have seen hot chicks run that shit upside down from top to bottom.

See you up there, bring your drinking bootie!

DP

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, I really didn't want to fork out $275 but I asked for a good place to get a raft deal for a 2 day trip, and didn't get a whole lot of positive feed back. I had to resort to Monty Python skits :lol: Which outfitter would you recommend trying for a better price? Hell I buy a keg for anyone over 21 of course) who can hook me up.

I'm not real concerned about the water level. I never really considered pumphouse to be about the white water anyway(Because I don't really remember any), I just want a nice easy float with the folks. Unless of course you’re saying that we would be pushing most of the way? That would suck. With 2 days we have plenty of time to get from point A to B.

Thanks for the help ya'll.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
I'm pretty sure you won't have to push in a raft as long as it's over 550 (unless you aim for the half a dozen or so shallow spots). Obviously it depends a little on the load you're carrying, too.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Bigboater - try Lakota Guides, Timberline Tours, or Nova Guides. It may be fruitless because their insurance companies may not allow them to rent rafts to non-certified guides. Can't hurt to try.

Pappas - I have been told I need to tone it down on Mtn Buzz, so I will let your comments slide. Watch out at Gorefest - I'm gonna cut your balls off with my rusty machete you ass-licker! :twisted:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bizzle, its on !!!!

and ass licker??? your a freak !!!!

not sure if thats what you do to your brother in the off season or what.

you going paddle gore or have an excuse like Crane???

DP

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Kick Ass. I just found an overnight rental for a 14' oar rig at Colorado River Center for $100. And they're located right there.
Andy H, you reading this or do I need to go to the other thred to gloat? :roll: :) :D :lol: :wink:

·
Super Moderator
4,016 Posts
Yo Bigboater,

Honestly, I'm glad to see that you decided to throw down and take the folks on a river trip! AND as far as I know you found as good a deal as you'll get anywhere near the Front range or elsewhere. Killer deal!

As for flow levels, I've run it down to about 400 cfs so you'll be fine. Back during the worst of the drought, we just had to do like Slavic men have done for centuries - lower our standards...

:D

Have fun!

--Andy

·
Registered
154 Posts
jeffreyl said:
I wouldn't waste my time at current flows. My lower limit with a raft is 700 cfs and even then it's bony and a long float to Rancho. Save your cash.
:lol: dude, i ran it at 225cfs in a 13ft raft. There was only 1 spot where you had to line the raft. No hang ups beyond that... just some fancy rowing every now and then. :)

Plenty-o- wawa

·
Registered
971 Posts
You will be fine, I went down last weekend with full camping gear, coolers, and even fire wood and only got stuck once because I changed my mind of where I wanted to go and got stuck. I was going to say colorado river center, but I think it looks like you found that. If you are interested in camping, send me an e-mail to dave(at-sign)davedempsey.net and I'll send you a PFD document of the BLM guide that has the camp sites marked on the map. Er, I mean PDF file.

There isn't too much white water, lots of flat water, a few small rapids, one that you may have to row a little bit for, but not much. It is a fun "booze cruise" camping/fishing/floating run if you aren't going with the intention of running much interesting whitewater. Also, your shoulder muscles will be ripped by the end of the trip if you row the afternoon flatwater headwinds! Might be worth renting a ducky or something to keep things interesting for your parents.

P.S. Be aware that anywhere you camp with have train traffic at night, so if you have any light sleepers who will be grumpy....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts