Mountain Buzz banner

Have you ever paddled in the Pueblo Whitewater Park?

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Butt-boater
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am happy announce the launch of the Paddle Pueblo blog. I am just getting started here, but I will have all the beta you need to come and have a great time in the Pueblo Whitewater Park.

I will present info on the park including photos and info on each of the eight drops. I will also have info on how to get to the park where to park, where to eat and updates on events in the park.

My goal here is to give those of you who live outside of the P-Town area all the info you need for a trip to our park in one place.

I also encourage comments, requests and any suggestions you might have to help me make this the best source for info on the park.

Have a look today, and stop by often to see updates.

http://paddlepueblo.blogspot.com/

-Bryan

·
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
1,134 Posts
I'll definitely try to pass along what I know.

I cut my teeth as a boater at the PPP, and I LOVE it there. I'm a terrible playboater, but I love going there nonetheless. I know my way around the city a bit, too.

First place you gotta add to "where to eat" is Jorge's for Mexican!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Nice work BKP.....as usual.

I know it's a paddle pueblo site, but maybe a mention of the kick ass mtn. bike trails nearby would add some incentive to visit lovely Ptown??? Paddle and peddle. As a PPP regular, I'd love to see more boaters from all over. I realize it seems that ptown is "in the middle of nowhere", but there's quite a bit more to do than a lot of people realize.

Or do we not want to draw too much attention to them (yet)?? Not being stingy with info, the more the merrier, its just that the trails are continuously being improved/expanded. They used to be just hiking/horseback riding trails and now more and more bikers are kickin' up the dust.

·
Butt-boater
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks GT! I think that it would be a great idea. I will plan on adding other stuff like the mtn biking and Lake Pueblo after I get the basics of the Whitewater Park in place. The single track trails at the South Shore are said to rival those in Fruita. I am not sure since I have never ridden in Fruita, but I do know that they are an amazing place to ride.

Maybe I will have to do a "Boat-N-Bike" blog later this spring. You are more than welcome to contribute when you get back from the Grandest of Canyons.

-B

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
We love the PPP. It's not in the middle of nowhere and if you get some water flowing we will be down there asap.

·
Butt-boater
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I am hoping to go drop by drop with descriptions of them at varying flows along with photos to illustrate the makeup of each drop. Please feel free to comment on the blog I look forward to hearing from any paddlers that make the trip to P-town for some good paddlin'.

-Bryan

·
Registered
795 Posts
Kinda what I was thinking too Bryan....the more riders on those trails the better. You know more about Vance's efforts (and challenges) than I.....so I wasn't sure. Maybe post a scanned copy of the trail maps??

I know a lot of the Springs paddlin' peeps make it down, which is awesome. Matter of fact, there are probably MORE Springs boaters that paddle it than Ptown folk.

What I meant by saying that we're in the "middle of nowhere", is that a lot of people may not realize how easy it is to couple with a Royal Gorge run (PPP is about 30-40 minutes from the take out).

I'll definitely contribute to the blog as much as possible when I get back and the water starts to rise!!

·
Butt-boater
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey GT!

Check out the new header on the blog. I think you might get a kick out of it! This guy seems to be popping up everywhere!

-B.

·
Self-Aggrandizing jackass
1,134 Posts
So I was lookin at the Blog and wondering whether there's any negative opinion about the park now that the city has seen that it takes money to maintain.

Love the park, and it's been crucial in my development as a paddler. I want to be sure it's around a long long time.

Helio

·
Butt-boater
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, up to this point things seem to be moving in a positive direction. The city and the Army Corps have made repairs that they earlier told us were out of the question. And plans are moving forward to improve the trail that runs along the river as well as build a road from the top with a turn-around above the number one drop to drop off boats.

There are also plans to build a permanent bathroom/changing house as well as a multi use building that may be a type of picnic shelter or gazebo. These are part of the project that is replacing the bridge that is upstream of the park. So for now, it looks as if things are still on track.

I paddled today and while the flow is on the low side, it is still great to have this little park and I don't think you have to worry about it going away anytime soon. But if you ever wanted to help a brutha you could send a note or email to our city councilmen/women explaining how much you enjoy the facility. It sure wouldn't hurt.

-Bryan
Pueblo Paddlers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts