Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a pre 2000's Hyside Padillac 2 and it seemed like the floor held air but when it took it out on it's maiden voyage, once the PRV started releasing air it didn't stop and the floor went completely flat.

I've taken it apart and there's a lot of mineralization in the valve and on the threads... so I'll try to clean it up first and reinstall and see if that fixes the problem.

But if that doesn't work, what do people feel about not running a PRV on this IK? It looks like most modern hypalon IKs have them but most drop stitch do not. I know they're in there for a reason but I'm not going to have nearly the weight in this boat as I would on a raft and have been thinking about just patching over the valve hole.

The reason I'm considering this is there is a hard valve boot I'd need to cut out in order to install a new PRV and that makes the hole in the original boat larger than it would be in a traditional new valve installation.

Thoughts?

PS NRS does sell an HR style PRV that looks like it will fit in this but in the Q&A section it seems that others have tried this part in their older Hyside and it doesn't fit. 20200624_164956.jpg

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you pay attention when boat is pulled up on shore - especially a white sandy beach - should be perfectly safe to abandon the PRV. Why cut it out? Glue the sucker closed and leave it in... dealing with boots is more work.

·
Super Moderator
3,906 Posts
If there's mineralization, soak it overnight in a mildly acidic solution - a glass bowl of water with a couple of tbs vinegar. That should get rid of any carbonate minerals.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^ I soaked it in some vinegar for a few hours yesterday and reinstalled... and the pressure to trigger the valve is a lot higher but even once the valve is finished it's "purge" there is a very slow leak in the valve. The floor held some pressure overnight but it was a little soft.

I'll remove it and soak it in something a little stronger and try again but that will likely have to be my last try at it because I don't have the proper tool to remove the valve from the boot and my channel lock pliers are chewing up the plastic a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts