Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
I have one at home that I use in the backyard. I have used a smaller one on a river during a fire ban.

Propane stoves are allowed during the fire ban, anything that doesn't produce a flying spark and can be turned off with a switch is allowed.

·
Registered
429 Posts
A buddy (same one with the hostage boat at CWI :rolleyes:) has a Camp Chef portable propane fire bowl that looks very similar to that one. It is a very good facsimile of an actual fire when you can't have one otherwise, but questionable legality (only supposed to use "stoves" on most rivers when a fire ban is in effect), is kind of big and bulky, and burns through a lot of gas. My personal favorite is to use the flame damper in the Woodland Power Stove. I carry a little bag of cinder rocks (they are light and very plentiful around here) to pile up on the grate and it makes a reasonable fake fire to sit around. While not as good as the Camp Chef, it is a lot easier to pack and serves the purpose of being our camp blaster for making lots of hot water. I think they are about the same price as your link, but I've heard some talk on here that they are getting harder to find?

·
The Russian
1,389 Posts
It's harder to find for the lower price, but the normal price of $150 can still be bought from places like NRS. I am totally sold on the Woodland Stove and you just gave me an idea for the fireplace, thanks 90Duck!

·
Registered
429 Posts
It's harder to find for the lower price, but the normal price of $150 can still be bought from places like NRS. I am totally sold on the Woodland Stove and you just gave me an idea for the fireplace, thanks 90Duck!
You are welcome. Maybe I should start a side business selling little bags of cinder rocks direct from the volcanic source in Central Oregon!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I actually have those lava rocks from High-Side's link, I can just use those rocks and make a small grid to put on top.
Thanks for THAT idea Alex - it is always a bit of a challenge to arrange the cinders so they don't fall through the pot supports on the Woodland. I have a little fire grate I could throw on top and solve that "problem". Wonder why that never occurred to me.

Love the Buzz for this kind of stuff.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
My woodland power stove. One on its own and another with lava rocks on a grate. Just throw the lava rocks in a ammo can for transport..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does anyone have experience with the Outland Fire Bowl 820 Portable Propane Fire Pit??

http://www.amazon.com/Outland-Fire-...Firebowl+Deluxe+820+Portable+Propane+Fire+Pit

They claim that they can be used during most fire ban restrictions. Any feedback would be appreciated.
A friend of mine who's a beekeeper makes these "camp candles". She has a free source of wax, but you could still do it from wax you buy. Anyway, they are a giant candle in a coffee can, using cotton rope for a wick. We just sit it in a firepan and it throws good light, with a flame about 3-4 " high. It's all we use on hot summer trips, even with no fire ban, cuz it gives you light without heat.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Tha Woodand ceramic logs are sweet. They have a small hole that lets the flame travel up though the logs. They're pretty small and light and fit perfectly on the grate. I like to use the setup when we're cooking on the firepan as a backup fire.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Tha Woodand ceramic logs are sweet. They have a small hole that lets the flame travel up though the logs. They're pretty small and light and fit perfectly on the grate. I like to use the setup when we're cooking on the firepan as a backup fire.
And has anyone been able to get an accessory from woodland recently?

·
Registered
181 Posts
During fire ban not packing my giant ridiculously heavy fire pan allows me to carry 60 pounds more of beer which when consumed I dont even realize or care I dont have a fire lol

·
Registered
984 Posts
My experience is that open flame means a no-go during fire bans. My guess is these types of devices would not be allowed in those times.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts