Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the outfitters meeting yesterday, the outlook is optimist for good flows and fun paddling on the Upper Ark this summer. The snow pack in the high basin areas is hanging in there and reservoir levels are healthy. They expect a peak of about 2000-2500 CFS early summer. And then the VFP- Voluntary Flow Program looks solid and will offer 600-700 CFS from July 1- August 15th.
Anyways, looks like a fun year. Of course more snow will help out. Send good vibes to the storm gods.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You just brightened my day. Thanks for posting!

·
Banned
131 Posts
Is it snowing there now? It's dumping in the front range. We need more snow. I was hoping to get on some big water in the royal gorge this year.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Almost 6" of wet, heavy snow in Salida today. Almost totally melted already.
Wonder how its coming down up high...?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Almost 6" of wet, heavy snow in Salida today. Almost totally melted already.
Wonder how its coming down up high...?

How would you guys project the flows for this coming weekend? We are heading to Colorado from Iowa to raft Browns canyon. I know it is early but it is the only time a couple of my friends could take off work.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Project flows? Runoff hasn't started and it won't this week. It's only running around 3-400... Not worth the drive.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Upper Ark Valley is snowy and frozen with some cold snowy days ahead. Sorry boys, Spring doesn't happen for a few weeks up here...

·
Misspellingintothefuture!
1,901 Posts
Browns will be low, I ran it in january 300 ish? with my 14' e series, some getting stuck and slots to narrow to get a raft through, awesome trip!! You will be happier in a kayak or small raft though. I was solo in mine, loaded light. If you would like more water the upper colo is running good. Browns could still be fun, just will be low.
Have fun boatin'! :D

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Driving from Iowa to raft in Colorado right now would not be great. Drive to West Virginia or North Carolina or Tennessee.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
Back in business! Not going to be a banner year, but getting closer and closer to average...plus we are going to see the 10k acre ft imported through the tunnel.

Sounds like there are a couple more storms in the pipeline as well!

"Friday and early Saturday we see some accumulating snowfall even to 8,500 feet (Saturday morning), but mostly above 9,500 feet, but the weak low (upper level weather disturbance) crosses to the south so we are not expecting much for Aspen and other northern resorts. Sunday and Monday look interesting, and we may see another big storm for the front range and Summit/ Grand County areas, with moderate snow for Aspen and vicinity, plus southwest Colorado may see heavy snow. The front range and divide should see over 1 foot of snow. Later Monday and Tuesday clears out and warms up after low pressure exits."

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
From NOAA:

"SUNDAY-MONDAY...THIS IS WHEN WE SHOULD SEE MOST OF THE IMPACT FROM
THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM AS IT MOVES THROUGH CENTRAL NM. MODELS ARE
GENERALLY SHOWING FROM ONE TO TWO INCHES OF QPF OVER THE I-25
CORRIDOR AND ERN MTS DURING THIS TIME PERIOD. THIS WILL TRANSLATE TO
ONE TO TWO FEET OF SNOW FOR THE MTS...WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS
POSSIBLE. SNOW LEVELS WILL START OUT RATHER HIGH INITIALLY...AND
WILL PROBABLY NOT BE MUCH LOWER THAN 8000 FEET ON SUNDAY.
HOWEVER...THE BULK OF THE QPF SHOULD FALL SUN NIGHT...WHEN H7
TEMPS HAVE DROPPED TO MINUS 2 OR 3...COLD ENOUGH FOR SNOW DOWN TO
ABOUT 6500 FEET OR EVEN LOWER WITH HEAVIER PRECIP. SO...EXPECT
ACCUMULATING SNOW ABOVE THIS ELEVATION. HIGHER ELEVATION CITIES
SUCH AS LEADVILLE...WOODLAND PARK...AND WESTCLIFFE SHOULD EXPECT
TO SEE HEAVY SNOW FROM THIS STORM...WITH POTENTIALLY SIGNIFICANT
IMPACTS TO TRAVEL ESPECIALLY MONDAY MORNING. TRAVELERS SHOULD BE
PREPARED FOR WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS."

·
Registered
269 Posts
Back in business! Not going to be a banner year, but getting closer and closer to average...plus we are going to see the 10k acre ft imported through the tunnel.

Sounds like there are a couple more storms in the pipeline as well!

"Friday and early Saturday we see some accumulating snowfall even to 8,500 feet (Saturday morning), but mostly above 9,500 feet, but the weak low (upper level weather disturbance) crosses to the south so we are not expecting much for Aspen and other northern resorts. Sunday and Monday look interesting, and we may see another big storm for the front range and Summit/ Grand County areas, with moderate snow for Aspen and vicinity, plus southwest Colorado may see heavy snow. The front range and divide should see over 1 foot of snow. Later Monday and Tuesday clears out and warms up after low pressure exits."
Do you have the link for the CO snowpack map (thought so based on your reference above to getting back close to average). I have a link, but it hasn't updated since April 8 and cannot figure out why.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Unfortunately my cousins live in Colorado and this was the only week a buddy could get off. Next year we are gonna do end of May but right now we just arrived in Denver and I am trying to figure out a plan :cool:
Driving from Iowa to raft in Colorado right now would not be great. Drive to West Virginia or North Carolina or Tennessee.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
I don't remember who was saying those high %'s didn't mean much late in the season..... but we are looking at a sustained period of high water approaching all time high flows for the date. Almost 2500 at Numbers and nearly 5000 at the Gorge and sky rocketing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts