Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright a green member here, bear with me

So Ive wanted to get into playboating (currently only paddle a Stomper 90), got a line on buying a Project X 64 for $850 brand new. literally has only been in a pool. Seems like a pretty awesome deal, but I was kinda wondering what peoples opinions were of the boat in general? It may not have been my first choice but its in my top 5 for sure. Its going to get a fair amount of flat water use (pools in the winter) as well as waves

Im 6'2" and 210lb for reference.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
416 Posts
Im about 6 foot and 230 and the X was a great boat I wish i never got rid of it very stable easy to carve and do flat water tricks I think 850 is alittle steep since its no longer in production but it is an awesome boat still has current design to it I dont think you would be disappointed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright fair enough, I know the boat is a few years old but my reasoning was saving 1/3 of the cost on a basically brand new boat was a pretty solid deal.

I don't know enough about play boats to know how well the "tech" of the project X design holds up to brand new play boats right now. Ive heard a lot of people say that its still a pretty modern design ... as a newbie to playboating I'm not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between the project X and say a Jitsu or Rockstar (the other boats I was considering)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Alright fair enough, I know the boat is a few years old but my reasoning was saving 1/3 of the cost on a basically brand new boat was a pretty solid deal.

I don't know enough about play boats to know how well the "tech" of the project X design holds up to brand new play boats right now. Ive heard a lot of people say that its still a pretty modern design ... as a newbie to playboating I'm not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between the project X and say a Jitsu or Rockstar (the other boats I was considering)
That boat is plenty "tech" enough for you a newb and for most seasoned boaters.
It's fun to paddle and does all the tricks.
$850 is too much to pay for any boat that is used and has been paddled before even if just in a pool. Offer 700 and stay firm. That boat was discontinued in 2013, not worth $850 unless it's still in the wrapper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
$850 is too much to pay for any boat that is used and has been paddled before even if just in a pool. Offer 700 and stay firm. That boat was discontinued in 2013, not worth $850 unless it's still in the wrapper.
Fair enough thanks for the reply. I already talked them down from their original price (wanted almost retail) but maybe ill try to go lower. Theres just about 0 used boat market around here so it seems my only other option is to buy new, so I'm a bit hesitant to walk away from this one unless I have good reason to throw down an extra $4-500.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you could pick up a project 62 for $250, i seen them around here and there for that. I'm 6'4 210 took one down the grand--super comfy. It surfs like a dream and boofs like a boss.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I got a brand new X 56 (2012 model) for $600 or $650 earlier this year. Cant quite remember - but that was a deal! $800 not so much. You could buy a practically new rockstar for that much if you wait around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya I have seen better deals than this on used boats in good condition, unfortunately none are anywhere near me. and our CDN $ is absolutely terrible right now if looking in the states hahaha. There isn't a huge kayaking scene around here and therefore no used boat market, which sucks cause I don't really have options. Even buying new I would have to order in.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Ya I have seen better deals than this on used boats in good condition, unfortunately none are anywhere near me. and our CDN $ is absolutely terrible right now if looking in the states hahaha. There isn't a huge kayaking scene around here and therefore no used boat market, which sucks cause I don't really have options. Even buying new I would have to order in.
Ehh, yeah. Golden, CO is a little different than Manitoba for buying kayaks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Right, you gotta put all this in perspective. In New Zealand that boat would probably go for $1200. In CO, you might be able to scoop it for $400. Supply and demand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohhhh, Found a new 2014 Jitsu for $1000 (after taxes and shipping). Better choice than the Project X for an extra $150?

also has anyone tried fitting a XL IR rand skirt to a jitsu? It says on skirt fit that it should work (88-94 inch skirt and a 88.5 inch cockpit) but id be worried about easy implosions with that.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Ohhhh, Found a new 2014 Jitsu for $1000 (after taxes and shipping). Better choice than the Project X for an extra $150?
The pX is the better boat. The only other boats that work in the wave better are the Star, Rockstar, and Mobius. JMHO

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why do you guys say that? I had heard pretty good things about the jitsu although never got to paddle one
just to clarify - I know most boats are personal preference and most modern playboats have minuscule differences ... but I can't demo where I am because no one stocks these boats so I'm just trying to get some opinions on the matter. My research on the Jitsu looked pretty good, plus getting a boat thats still in production instead of discontinued seemed like a better idea...

·
Registered
186 Posts
The Jitsu for 1K is a better deal than the project for $850
You, as an newb, will not know the difference and as you say it's personal preference. After paddling it for a while you'll probably prefer it over other boats you try out.
It's a fine boat and performs very well.

·
Registered
312 Posts
From what I understand, the major difference is the Project X has a kick rocker, while the Jitsu has a progressive rocker. This changes the way you initiate air moves. If you are more familiar with that style of boat, you won't like the other. As a new paddler, you'll just learn with what ever you get and won't likely even do air moves anyways.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
One more question - I have heard that the Jitsu is less edgy than the PX. Paddling a stomper I don't have a ton of experience with edgy boats, so I don't know whether I would or wouldn't want a playboat with sharp edges.... Hit me with opinions, maybe positives / negatives of having sharp edges on a playboat?

I would imagine a little less sharp might be easier for learning and a little more forgiving, but I don't want to give up performance or make tricks/surfing more difficult due to a lack of edges

·
Registered
325 Posts
Where in Canada are you? I am in Canada too and just bought a 2016 Rockstar for $849. I live close to the border and had it shipped there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts