Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Landis retired there was a gap in Prijon importation but I'm happy to say that it's happening again. We have a container of boats shipping this way on April 16th.

The Pure XL also got a nice update to the top deck too, it looks more modern and solves the folding behind the seat issue, puts a few more gallons in the stern and makes it less prone to loading up and catching the edge behind the seat where the problem area was. The new model is called the Cali.

We are doing some pre-order pricing, so if you liked the Pure XL you can save a good bit of $ with an early buy. Prices don't include shipping but we are going to be quite flexible, if it's ~10 boats we can get a good shipping rate to Colorado or we can ship one at a time for 100-150. We're also happy to help connect boats with people traveling around and will have some in Hood River for easier access too.

Warranty will be three years, two where the shell is covered 100% and the third year it's 70% coverage. We will have warranty shells in stock, so even if we don't import in the future, you won't get the short end of the stick.

$1,099 before April 15th.
$1,149 before May 1st.
$1,199 before May 15th.
$1,249 May 15th and later.

Website in the works, for now [email protected] or give me a ring at 530-526-1700 if you have any questions, or just ask em here. We also have some Pure Mediums on the way as well as the Curve 3.0 and 2.5 river running boats, but less quantity of those.

Thanks - Darin McQuoid

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Same specs as the XL for the width/length, but a couple more gallons in the stern. Right now volume is just estimated, we're waiting to hear back from them when they check this week. Weight is what they are telling us due to new lighter outfitting, we hope it's this light but will weigh again when the container comes in ;)

Length: 8'10"
Width: 27"
Volume: 90 Gallons
Weight: 45lbs

·
Registered
251 Posts
That boat looks sick! I love my pure xl, and am not in need of an upgrade at the moment but would like to get in a Cali some day. This seems to imply that availability will be more regular again now and in the foreseeable future?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We hope to continue to import for the indefinite future, but it's a complicated business with slim margins. Provided we do not lose money we will be importing :)

East Coast, same thing although we may try to do one big shipment to a good central location out there too. Still have to figure out the details. The boats will arrive in mid May so we are still figuring out details.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Disappointed

I really wish this was a post praising the new Prijon Cali I just received. The boat looks great, however, there is a huge problem.....I don't fit.
I am a large frame guy (6'1", ~200lbs) and size 36/38 waist. With ALL the outfitting removed (just plastic) my ass is still to big to sit comfortably in the boat, even in just boxer shorts.
Yes, I bought a boat without sitting in it, but I've paddled the Pure XL for a season and had no problems, so fitting my butt inside was never a worry.
I have paddled jefe's, burns, nomads, habitats, etc.
Are all the guys in Germany skinny jean wearing dandies?
Really Prijon, you made a 90 gallon creek boat nearly 9' long, and if your waist size is larger than 35" you can't fit? Really? What's the deal?
It appears you could be nearly 8' tall and fit just fine as long as you are skinny waisted. No amount of weight loss would make me fit, my hip bones are literally to big to sit inside with NO outfitting other than the plastic seat!
So disappointed. Not sure what my options are for stuffing myself in the boat at this point.

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
A JK karma or Zen come to mind!

This is good news for KSC! His is sure to fit him well!

Bummer, dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
that is a real bummer man, I hope you can get it to fit. I am 6'3 280 and liked the pure xl. I was a bit to big for it, but I was hoping the Cali would be bigger.

What is it you dont fit about the boat? seat width? cockpit height? Have you tried the seat all the way forward?

I'd like to look it over some time this season if thats cool with you.

hope you get it dialed

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I just got mine as well and sat in it last night. I was expecting to have to put a ton of shims in to get it tight enough in the waist and that really wasn't a problem so I could see how you'd have issues fitting.

I'm worried about the opposite problem being on the lower end of the weight spectrum (of course I knew this could be an issue when ordering it). The knees are waay higher with a ton more volume there than I'm used to in the Nomad 8.5. Feels bigger than when I sat in a Pure XL, but it's probably my imagination.

I'll just have to see how it feels on the water.

It seems like retrofitting the seat is your alternative. I've heard some people who didn't like to seat in the Pure ripped out the old one and built a foam seat, or threw in a seat from another boat. Kind of a pain in the ass though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry to hear that about the fit, I would guess it's all the seat as the thigh hooks are the same as the Pure XL and the interior is just a touch larger. If you can't find one locally I'll start looking around here to find an old Pure XL seat that can retrofit in quite easily.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
First impressions:

For anyone that's curious, I picked up a Cali and have paddled it a few times now on some local stuff.

I'm going to fall a little out of the norm as I'm about 155# right now in my skivvies. That puts me on the low end on the weight range for the boat. I'm fairly lanky though, so reach isn't usually an issue. I've previously been in the big Nomad, which is an awfully sweet creekboat.

Outfitting: The new outfitting seems pretty solid. The seat is a lot more minimal than the one in the old Pure, but the seat is comfortable (if you fit in it - see above), hip pads fit me nicely, and the thigh hooks have better contact than anything I've ever been in. I worry a little bit that the thigh hooks could break with reverse pressure applied, but otherwise they're awesome (I hope Jackson is taking notes). The back band is solid with a standard ratchet system (ahem, Jackson...) Some rubber bands hold the back band in place, which makes access to the stern extremely fast and simple. I worry the rubber bands might wear over time and break. A yearly replacement might be good maintenance. It has a small track for a water bottle with some elastic bands that's pretty rudimentary. I expect constant water bottle slippage while portaging/hiking with the stock system.

When seated in the boat I felt like I was seated with an odd slightly upward tilt, but it felt normal after paddling for a bit. I have had the seat slip out of the track 2x now. The first time, I'm not sure if I had tightened the screws down properly, so that might have been the issue. The second time, I definitely tightened them down, but I don't know if I had the entire slider bar in the track or not, which may be the problem. Basically there's a slider bar that attaches to a screw through the boat that slides into a rail on the seat. Unless I'm totally off base, it uses friction from tightening down the screw to hold the seat in place. I definitely have it set fuly in the rail and tight this time, so we'll see how it goes.

The bulkhead is standard, though it has a special pad on it that I haven't messed with yet (I kind of wish they just had a similar system to the Daggers where you can add foam on top of the plastic bulkhead, but maybe there's a way to do that... I haven't looked very closely yet). I have a 32" inseam and size 10 foot and there's plenty of leg room and sufficient foot room.

The boat comes with foam pillars (unlike many past Prijons), which I think is a fine idea and plan on leaving in. They feel solidly in place, offer a step out platform, and the rear pillar still offers easy access to the back (overnight packing would be a breeze with this thing).

I like the way the Nomad carries on the shoulder a little better and it has better hand placement inside the boat, but the Cali is adequate.

The cockpit is large and easy to get in and out of. It's certainly partly to do with having a new skirt, but the boat has been remarkably dry. I might throw away my sponge.

Performance:
I got the Cali rather than the med Pure both because it's the new hotness and reports I'd heard that sizing seems to run smaller compared to most manufacturers (and I paddled a Pure XL at the end of a run once and it felt ok). As I noted in my post above, when I first sat the thing down, it looked big! The boat is at least an 1" higher around the thighs than the Nomad. It has more volume behind the seat as well.

The Nomad feels like your old steady friend. It's slow to react, but very predictable, stable, and forgiving. It's just awesome at holding a line, even if it's not always the most nimble.

Despite its size (3" longer, ~10 extra gallons compared to the Nomad), the Cali feels more like a sports car. It is nimble, but feels faster both going straight ahead and redirecting. I wonder if some of this has to do with me being on the lower weight end. It has a very tapered bow, and combine that with floating high, I don't think there's a lot of turning resistance. I'm curious if heavier people experience different performance.

The Cali has a gentle double chine. It has similar sharpness and placement to the Nomad, except the Nomad has a single chine. I find that it likes aggressive edging in order to snap into eddies. The primary stability is not great on this boat and the balance feels less forgiving than the Nomad. Secondary stability is no problem. I also still need to add a shim or two to the hips, which should help a little bit with that.

The nose of the boat is more aggressively tapered than most. I still don't know what to make of this except that is scares my friends when I turn too hard into an eddy they're sitting in, and I as I stated above, it may contribute to the turning ease.

The boat has decent rocker and boofs as well as anything I've paddled. I find myself riding over things more than the Nomad. All that volume in the rear deck seems to be good at preventing the unintended enders. I've found rolling slightly more difficult. The extra length and peaked rear deck make the backdeck roll slightly slower. The lack of primary stability and maybe the higher cockpit rim mean it takes just a little more umph during a normal sweep roll.

Ultimately, I need to paddle the boat longer and in a wider range of conditions, but so far I've been generally having good lines with it (and the bad ones I suspect were user error).

Once in the water, it paddles like a much smaller boat. I'm having a little trouble getting used to its twitchiness, but that quality is nice for last minute corrections. I also feel like I have to stay on top of the bow direction a little more when charging something, sometimes doing more active draws than I might normally, and I'm still getting used to managing that when landing boofs. The same holds true for ferries.

Overall, my initial impressions are that it's a solid boat design, has good outfitting, and of course, the bomber plastic.

(I'll try to update this review once I've been paddling the boat for a while).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey KSC, thanks for the feedback!

The seat coming off the track is a problem that we are trying to resolve. One of us will be in Germany this week and hopefully come away with a solution to fix the issue. For now, if you can find a metric brass nut that's wide enough, that should work better than the supplied stainless part. Sorry for the inconvenience, I know it's a pita and we are suffering with it too, I'm headed to the hardware store tomorrow.

Thigh Hooks, most of us are using 2-3" of foam on the outside of the thigh hooks. It makes it so they don't flex out and considerably improves the handling of the boat. I initially tried contact cement between the foam and hull to keep it in place, but just could not get it to stay. Duct (or even better, Gorilla) taping the foam the the thigh hook works much better.

I'm 170 and came from a Nomad too. Once you go back it feels painfully slow and sluggish. Previously it was my favorite boat. The Cali certainly rewards a forward posture much more than the Nomad, the king of lean back and ruddering.

Glad you are liking yours so far, I'll keep you updated with what find to improve the current seat issue until we get an official response from Prijon.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Thanks for the outfitting tips Darin. I'll definitely try the foam on the thigh hooks. So you're saying the material of an equivalent sized brass nut will provide more friction than the stock stainless steel one? Glad this is a known problem being worked...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correct, in theory the brass should work better. Also there is a material between the stainless and the track. It's supposed to add enough friction but does not. I'm not sure what it is, but word is that replacing it with a rubber washer works far better, I'll probably give that a try.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I spent way too much at the hardware store today, tried a lot of different things and had the best results with just placing a brass washer on top of the stainless rectangle nut used in the track. It's better but not perfect.

When we have a real fix for the seat we'll mail it to you, sorry for the pain it is and thanks for understanding.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Shawn, it's like you read my mind. I was just looking at how to foam the thigh hooks. I can see how they flex, but it seems like the primary flex is going to be inward (i.e. towards the cockpit rim). There's plenty of outward flex, towards the hull of the boat as well, but I'm thinking you're not likely to be torquing it that way. Anyway, is the foam covering the entire backside of the hook, basically to make it thicker and therefore unable to flex as much?

On the seat: that spacer between the stainless steel and the track just looks like some sort of cardboard to me. Half of it has already broken away on one side. I wonder if cutting out a bike inner tube or something like that would work better.

I think I'm going to also foam the inside of the shell in front of the knees a bit. I had a very minor piton upside down, but it was enough for my right knee to slide forward and hit the plastic. I like how the Nomad extends their thigh pad liner down a ways for that purpose.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Kev,

Great review. I'm a little heavier then you at 175, so it will be interesting to see how the Cali performs. Let me know if you figure out something for the seat.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts