Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i understand that you can slide foam under your seat to prevent / fix oil canning. what type of foam should i use and where can i get it? and is this really necesarry?

thanks
Ben

·
Registered
223 Posts
minicell or other closed cell foam. i am sure some of the paddling shops intown have some.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What is oil canning?

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
Oil canning is when the bottom of your hull becomes wavey due to lots of wear and tear.
best ways to prevent oilcanning
1. don't rock boof everysingle rock
2. don't leave your boat in the sun
3. don't leave your boat sitting flat on hull
4. stand boat vertically on end or on side
5. don't leave water in your boat
thats about all i can think of right now.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Or buy a Jackson. That fiberglass/plastic rod down the keel/spine of the boat significantly reduces the plastic from stretching.
I've got one of the First Funs ever made, boof every rock I see, and finally rubbed through the hull on CC last year. Still no oil-canning.

-d

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have left my Bliss Stick strapped on my rack pipes and haven't had any sign of oil canning. Can't say that for the daggers I used to own. Ron.

·
Registered
183 Posts
On the Jackson's, nice theory. My superfun Oil canned within a month of purchase, no abuse or excuse.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
yo, Ben how are you man, here is a good resolve. use a square or rectangle of plastic under your seat, at least a foot or more past the front and back, you might have to contor the edges to flow with the bottom of your boat, the key is displacement of the weight over the floor. that should help out, you dont have to glue it down either.

peace
bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts