Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been cooking with the GSI pressure cooker at home and I'm super intrigued with it. So far I've cooked beans a roast and rice with chicken. Anyone have any experience, ideas, or recipe for pressure cookers? I'm often the dinner cook for our family when camping and I'm thinking this could really speed things up. I'm also thinking it will cut down on trash too for example using dried beans vs canned etc.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Old Guy in a PFD
1,106 Posts
The main thing is, controlling your fire is key; and you will require a pot watcher. The two times we tried we found keeping the temp steady was just a pain in the ass. Of course, we were cooking with a wood fire, cause you know, only sissies used propane when this old fart was running.
Now a Dutch Oven?
Anything you can do in the Kitchen I can do with a camp fire and a Dutch Oven ..........

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have no doubt that's true Schutzie. .... I do a good bit of canning. Which involves big pressure pots. I agree you gotta have a pot watcher... I've thought about using PC,S on the river..seems like it would be good.....

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I'm adventurous but I'm not planning on using the pressure cooker on the campfire. That would be a big chore.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

·
Registered
520 Posts
We use a full size pressure cooker at home to make stewed meat dishes for the river, which we freeze and take. Then on the river we make quinoa, rice, couscous, lentils, black beans, pintos, etc. to accompany the meal. Our GSI is to small to do whole meals in the pressure cooker for more than a couple folks. I like the pressure cooker a lot. I particularly like the fast cooking and no cans parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have used a pressure cooker camping. Cooking on a stove on camp is no different than cooking on a stove at home. Don't try it on wood heat. Use a timer and they are pretty fool proof. I always practice at home. Pressure cookers allow you to cook real food. No need for instant. Plus you save some fuel.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts