Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a whole mess of veneer sheets at woodcraft today, and have basswood and ash in the basement, So I think I am going to crank out some more raft paddles. I am trying to work up the best diameter for the t-grip, and was wondering what all the masses like. Is the ubiquitous Carlisle just right? wish it was fatter? thinner? wider? I am thinking around 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 is a sweet spot and about 4-5 inches wide, but, I would love to hear what others think.

·
Super Moderator
4,598 Posts
It never occurred to me that this question would ever come up. The Carlisle handle seems fine, thought I prefer my Werner paddle when I'm on a paddleboat (it's lots lighter); I have no idea what the diameter is on either.

·
Beginner
2,866 Posts
All my Jim Snyder paddles were custom carved for my hand size. I had Jon Rugh, of Shadetree Paddles make me this beauty and asked him to copy Keith Backlunds "oversized" tee grip. It's my favorite paddle grip, for sure!

It's just a couple inches thick not sure exactly. I like the taper and the width. It fits very nicely in my hand.
Wood Table Material property Wood stain Hardwood

·
Premium Member
5,050 Posts
For a summer when I was guiding, I liked a canoe paddle's handgrip, but the blade wasn't really big enough on the canoe paddle.. Carlisle, while their products are heavy, fit most people's hands.

·
Beginner
2,866 Posts
Carlisles are noticibly narrower than the most preferred wooden and fiberglass guide sticks. If you can measure a Werner Guide stick, that's a really good reference point.

·
Beginner
2,866 Posts
If you can catch me on the road you're welcome to check out my collection and see what feels good to you. Alberton Gorge this month. Youghiogheny next month, if they can fix the dam...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Everytime I see a blacklund or snyder paddle I am reminded on how far I have to go, they both make objects of art that are just incredible bits of kit to run on the river. I gotta raid my scrap box and see what I can find. I definitely made the last t-grip too small.

All my Jim Snyder paddles were custom carved for my hand size. I had Jon Rugh, of Shadetree Paddles make me this beauty and asked him to copy Keith Backlunds "oversized" tee grip. It's my favorite paddle grip, for sure!

It's just a couple inches thick not sure exactly. I like the taper and the width. It fits very nicely in my hand.
View attachment 80433

·
Beginner
2,866 Posts
Everytime I see a blacklund or snyder paddle I am reminded on how far I have to go, they both make objects of art that are just incredible bits of kit to run on the river. I gotta raid my scrap box and see what I can find. I definitely made the last t-grip too small.
It's definitely a life-long pursuit. Jon has made Shadetree paddles for 10+ years, and they're not even close to my Jimi Styx. Standing alone, they are amazing, quality paddles - but next to a Snyder or Backlund, (or even BFP), they just don't compare.

I'm on the list for 2024 and 2025 for duckie and raft paddles from Jim. Hope those, plus my current collection, last the rest of my paddling days.

If you build wooden paddles and sell them, I will buy one and support you. Post them here!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts