Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am picking up a new utility trailer this week to make my raft trailer. I had pretty much settled on a 77 inch by 12 ft as being a good and practical size. It’s plenty big enough for my boat (e-150) and for my occasional use for projects unrelated to rafting. The more I think about it though Ican definitely see times when I’m thinking, boy sure wish it was just a little bit bigger. The cost to go to a 14 ft is minimal, so no big deal on that point. Just looking for feed back on what everyone has found to be the most useful and practical. It’s nice to have the extra size when needed, but kind of a pain to store and drive when I’m not needing the room. This is primarily for multi day use and projects unrelated to rafting and not a daily run trailer. Would love to hear from all of the experience out there about wanting one a little bigger or a little smaller.

·
Registered
10 Posts
go big

I have a 10' Home Depot trailer modified to 12' deck and a 14' Aluma raft trailer, the 14 wins hands down. The 14' trailer carries an 18 foot raft comfortably and is indistinguishable towing and easier backing. Go big, you wont regret it.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
You DO NOT need a huge trailer even for bigger rafts. As others have noted, a 16' raft fits on a 10' trailer. Any more is just more weight to tow and more trailer to store.

That all said, if you have other uses for your trailer and room to store it, larger is more useful. I have a 16' lightweight car hauler trailer that I also happen to use for rafting. 14-16' tandem axle is a very good size for multiple uses...but overkill for a raft. It also generally means you're towing it with a pickup (1/2t is more than enough) and not with a car.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yep, that orange cat is 16ft, the trailer is 10 ft. I like bigger tires too, better for long trips and rough roads. I hate those tiny wheels on sleds trailers

·
Registered
160 Posts
I use everything from 8' to 32' for rafting. IMO, tow vehicle is a bigger deciding factor on trailer size than anything.

Car or small SUV: 10-12' aluminum trailer
Small pickup or larger SUV: 12-14'
If 1/2 ton +: 14-16' tandem axle

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've never wanted for a smaller trailer... That said, your axles limit what you can and can't do with a utility trailer. I have a 12 footer and it's plenty big enough. I can haul a couple yards of bark, a cord of wood, etc.
It has a 5600 pound axle under it, so getting two yards of rock is maxing it out.

That said, I have a 8' x 14' deck over trailer for my 18' cat. I've never wanted for less or more. It always gets hauled with one of my trucks, so space for extra stuff is never lacking.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
522 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Power plant and running gear.

I use everything from 8' to 32' for rafting. IMO, tow vehicle is a bigger deciding factor on trailer size than anything.

Car or small SUV: 10-12' aluminum trailer
Small pickup or larger SUV: 12-14'
If 1/2 ton +: 14-16' tandem axle
I totally agree, the suspension(running gear) and power plant(engine size) plays a big factor in the trailer size and amount of weight you haul, also the correct type(ply) of tires on your tow vehicle is important. For safety concerns when towing. Also don't throw your half smoked stogie out the window after you spill your can of beer in your lap when towing your boats because Karma will leave you with a nice two inch burn hole in a raft, no matter what size you decide on.

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
522 Posts
WWWorthy. The black utility with rollers is the video is 8 feet wide? Is that axle width or bed size?
The utility trailer is an 8’ axle. We put the rollers on for customer that brought us the trailer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts