Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
economy and the environment. The last raft shop in Seattle was recently lost due to the lack of funding. Every post on this site seems to support my theory. Please think about this the next time you buy a Chinese raft or a landfill cooler.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't know...given the number of shiny new Maravias and Aires that I see on the river every week here in the Boise area I'd say the "made in America" (or right here in Idaho for that matter) raft makers are doing just fine...

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I would think that cheap rafts and disposable coolers would benefit local retailer more than products designed to last for decades as consumers would return sooner for repairs or to purchase replacements. I believe the culprit driving local retailers out of buisness is the same demon enabling us to discuss the concept right now....

·
willpaddle4food
119 Posts
Yup. My three used rafts, two used kayaks, and three homebuilt trailers have been the final nail in the coffin of the US economy. And my refusal to scrap my old cars and trucks have only worsened things; plus my unnecessary carbon footprint dragging my poverty shitshow about the state has been the tipping point for global warming. Future historians will point to that one moment in 2014 when an identifiable single person precipitated all the resulting wars, famine and apocalypse and it all could have been prevented. Quit using the politicians and big business as convenient scapegoats and let's all blame the real culprit: Me. Me me me. For God's sake, someone get me away from the water before it's too late! Stop me, for your grandchildren's sake!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Wanna define the pejorative concept of a "poverty boater"? What is a "landfill cooler"?

Maybe I am just a bit ornery today because we can't afford to boat much this year and "poverty boating" feels like what we are heading for as a couple. Just a bit tired of the moral judgements on most of us who struggle to afford "good enough" equipment to keep us outside and now somehow we are being blamed for the failure of outdoor shops. The only made in America equipment I could afford was a Aire Ocelot in '07 and a Partner Steel stove this summer to replace a Camp Chef that died. Pretty sure much of my other gear was either partially or fully manufactured overseas but I don't see how that makes people like me responsible for the death of individual companies. And none of it has ended up in a landfill yet.

For example, I may never buy an RMR boat but it seems like they are creating jobs for a myriad group of Americans, funneling purchases into local shops, allowing people to get on the water which means local food/liqour/gas purchases/shuttle company contracts, etc. I see that as a good thing. And my used Avon bucket boat has lasted decades but was made overseas, does that count for your xenophobic rant? I mean it seems like some of NRS's boats are lasting decades as well but are made overseas as well. Is it just a thing against Asian and Mexican manufacturer's?

Check your tone and be a little more nuanced with your moral accusations. Might also be helpful if you checked your privilege to see how not everyone can afford $5-6k in rubber alone or $500 coolers. It takes a rather noticeable lack of socio-economic understanding to write off every decision you disagree with a term as inflammatory as "poverty rafter".....

Signed,

A person who is barely holding onto the rungs of the lower-middle class and has no patience for such comments

·
Registered
536 Posts
When I lived up here last time about 13-14 years ago, I was just getting into rafting and outfitting my new used raft. I went into a raft shop in north Seattle, maybe the same one you are talking about and bought some stuff.

He rang me up.

I then realized I forgot a few small items and he bitched to me about the second credit card fee he was about to incur due to my forgetfulness.

I starred at him in disbelief at what a moron I was dealing with in front of me for several seconds, let him ring me up again so I could get on the river that weekend and never went back. I've been up here for a couple years now again, bought piles of gear but all from places like Clavey or NRS online.

If it's the same shop I dealt with way back then I'm surprised they lasted this long.

·
Registered
536 Posts
For example, I may never buy an RMR boat but it seems like they are creating jobs for a myriad group of Americans, funneling purchases into local shops, allowing people to get on the water which means local food/liqour/gas purchases/shuttle company contracts, etc. I see that as a good thing.
Yeah, no doubt there's allot more money in outfitting a new rafter and his raft for river life then there is in the actual raft, no matter the raft brand.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That's what I thought, but it has been closed since 2010. It was in Magnuson Park. Their twitter feed from 4 years ago refers to a going out of business sale - actually their last tweet. I don't know of any others.

There used to be one in Shoreline on 15th. I think they were connected to the one in Magnuson Park.

·
Registered
536 Posts
heh, yeah, no doubt bucketboater is more interested in trolling here than timely information.

is that the shop you were talking about, bucket? or is there another?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Yup. My three used rafts, two used kayaks, and three homebuilt trailers have been the final nail in the coffin of the US economy. And my refusal to scrap my old cars and trucks have only worsened things; plus my unnecessary carbon footprint dragging my poverty shitshow about the state has been the tipping point for global warming. Future historians will point to that one moment in 2014 when an identifiable single person precipitated all the resulting wars, famine and apocalypse and it all could have been prevented. Quit using the politicians and big business as convenient scapegoats and let's all blame the real culprit: Me. Me me me. For God's sake, someone get me away from the water before it's too late! Stop me, for your grandchildren's sake!
Quit blaming yourself, it is my fault, not yours. I bought a ice chest from Australia
instead of made in the USA.
I'm bad!!!Sorry.

·
Super Moderator
2,900 Posts
Welllllll now. Maybe it's just that the Seattle area boaters spend too much time trolling and not enough time boating to wear their stuff out and have to buy new stuff.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I think we should start with the Mountain Buzz classifieds.....

Every time someone links or purchases a "poverty" piece of equipment it should create a pop-up window with a message like "You schmuck, you are killing Amerika!" and start a thread just to flame that person.

Phillip

·
Boy Howdy!
1,064 Posts
Wow, I have a circa 1996 rubbermaid cooler made in the us, cataract oars made in the us, aire raft ditto, paco pad ditto, but i could only afford a frontier play dry box and I'm liking the nrs crash pad. I buy from my local guy when he is open but, everytime I go to his shop it's closed. I guess Nrs and cascade will be getting more of my business

·
Registered
325 Posts
so i am supposed to go out an buy new gear every year to support some business that has poor management and can't survive?

why don't we all just put our money in one big kitty and then everyone can get a share to spend on whatever gear they want!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts