Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fourteen foot Odyssey bucket boat I use to haul way too much gear around. It's a real poverty boater's boat but it holds air just fine. What's the prob you say? The floor leaks. A lot. So, in true poverty boater fashion I'm seriously considering cutting it out and adding drop rails to the frame. Why not just fix the floor you ask? I may, but I think it would be cathartic and freeing and kinda cool to remove it. I searched this topic and came up with one thread in which a guy had a fourteen foot Avon the PO had butchered in the same manner and he liked it, but that was in 2012. The thing's already a pig so I can't foresee any adverse impact on handling, but what about a reduction in weight capacity? That'd be a biggie if it were significant. Is this a really bad idea? Really good idea? Both? Help a poverty boater out.

·
Donkey Punch
83 Posts
Yeah, so he already stated it was a "bucket boat".
From the pictures of that Avon, it looks like it sits pretty damn low with 2 people and some gear. Not sure if it is b/c of the size of tubes or b/c it doesn't have a floor anymore.
Looks like fun for day trips though. Being an Odyssey, I would probably do it just for the fun of it.

·
Registered
572 Posts
On one of our GC trips, a commercial trip's 18' gear boat was sans floors, but it had big tubes and was 18'. What can it hurt? It's not like your gonna spend money to put an inflatable floor in it.
My wife nixed my request to replace our 16' cat with a 15' raft because she likes to look down into the water, so we got bigger tubes instead.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So the possible issues are greater displacement (causing boat to ride lower in the water) and increased potential of flipping, correct? I think I could pretty easily change my rigging/loading to mitigate the displacement issue to a certain extent. I'm leaning toward doing it, cause like you guys said, it's an Odyssey. What can it hurt? Most important, my daughter approves. I'm just waiting for that one voice of reason to come up with the dealbreaker, otherwise my next thread will be something like "Best Way to Remove Floor from Poverty Boat".

·
Registered
722 Posts
Displacement will be less, not more, if you remove the floor (although correct boat will ride lower with same load since displacement is function of wetted surface area of the floor). I've rowed floorless boats - not fun with any kind of load. Tracking will be squirrely and when you go to make any kind of move across the current (ferry angle) water will pile up against the inside of the upstream tube(s), affecting EVERYTHING. You're better off with a porous but intact floor than without any whatsoever.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Noted, thank you. I'm now considering replacing the Hypalon floor with a tight fitting custom made cat floor attached to D rings glued to the tubes. Guessing cost should be no more than $450. Thoughts?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Already tried that stuff. The floor now resembles a ginger in the peeling stages of a third degree sunburn. I know how to fix the floor. I just don't want to.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Already tried that stuff. The floor now resembles a ginger in the peeling stages of a third degree sunburn. I know how to fix the floor. I just don't want to.
I hope you did not think I was serious.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I know for a fact it works on gutter leaks.
Sorry about getting off subject.

·
Donkey Punch
83 Posts
As for tracking, I wouldn't think it could be that bad. I mean how different would it be from a Cat right?
I think I have heard of people using some sort or foam or something glued to the bottom side of their floors and hammering grommets around the edge of the floor, creating a jimmy rigged self bailer.
Using drop side rails in conjunction with D-rings you add is a good idea. That would at least help prevent boat wrap if you hit any rocks sideways. All else fails, add a SB floor.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've emailed Ms. Jan at SNS to inquire about the ball park cost of a floor. Anyone know where I might find a quantity discount on D rings. Figure I'd need at least twenty.

·
Super Moderator
2,981 Posts
I have no idea how you sleep at night knowing that you could be putting America back to work by buying some new boating gear. This is all on you. The economic recovery has started. Do your part. Friends don't let friends boat with Poverty boaters.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I've emailed Ms. Jan at SNS to inquire about the ball park cost of a floor. Anyone know where I might find a quantity discount on D rings. Figure I'd need at least twenty.
A custom mesh floor? Twenty d-rings? Sonds like alot more money and more work than fixing your floor, and it will still suck.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have no idea how you sleep at night knowing that you could be putting America back to work by buying some new boating gear. This is all on you. The economic recovery has started. Do your part. Friends don't let friends boat with Poverty boaters.
I stretch out on my Yeti cooler.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts