Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, I'm looking to get out sometime this weekend, though I'm new in town and haven't ran it yet. If you wouldn't mind runnin with a newbie I'm game.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Any eyes on the Poudre?
the gauge is climbing. the only diversions that should be taking water off the river are fort collins and greeley (maybe), so the gauge at the canyon mouth should be close to actual flow in the river. at 424 cfs, i bet it's close to boatable at a scrapey level.

edit more than a third is coming from the north fork.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
the poudre is at 1'.

It is rock boat season at least, and I'll bet you could run sections of the main canyon as well. bridges, pineview etc...

Filter plant has an extra 80-100 in it and is good to go.

tpatterson,

I am around and looking to paddle often, what level of boating do you feel comfortable running?

Paulk

I am going up at 430 today if you are thinking cold snowy middle lower lap.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A snowy middle/lowers does sound lovely, unfortunately I'm stuck in Denver until Sunday at the earliest. May end up settling for some hep c in trestle wave. Good to see this late season moisture up on Cameron.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I might be getting out on the Poudre Sunday and will be looking to paddle as often as possible. Bob, Paul, whoever, hit me up!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Nice spike in flows the last two days. The gate at the Greeley diversion (below Bridges take-out) was closed the other day so I assume they were diverting some though portage was easy on river left if you want to extend a Bridges run by 2 miles down to Gateway take-out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bob/Paul/Skeen,

I'm comfortable at class III-IV, though wouldn't mind a warm up lap on an easier section since it'll be my first time out this year. If anyone is going later today or tomorrow let me know!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I just got back from rafting Bridges in my mini-max. At 11:00 when we put in at Pineview the rock was about 0.7 feet. At 1:00 it was about 0.8 and at 3:00 it was closer to 0.9. The snow from the last two days is still on the riverbanks and melting fast. It was warmer up in the canyon than here in town. There was enough water to surf BTO wave in my raft, but barely.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Went hiking at Gateway today. While eyeballing things, it looked like about a quarter of Filter Plant water was coming in from the North Fork. Water was flowing over the Seaman spillway at a good clip. FP looked a lot less bony than Bridges, especially if one put in at the old FP put-in. Just an opinion.

·
Registered
143 Posts
So I have found the Hewlett gauge to still not be as accurate at low flows. Canyon Mouth (380, CLAFTCO)-N.Fork (160, CLANSECO) = 220cfs today. When I drove by at 9am and then was sitting in the eddy at the Rock at ~10am, it was reading 0.9ft. It felt like 0.9ft. My rough gauge is ~100cfs (CLAFTCO-CLANSECO)=0ft, 220cfs=0.9ft, 250=~1ft

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Did anyone compare last year's rock reports with Hewlett's Gauge readings to create a correlation?
The City of Fort Collins utilities division has a new gauge at Poudre Park.
I assume that is what you are calling the Hewlett's gauge.
I could be wrong, but I believe it is new this year, so it can't be correlated to last year.
Interestingly, it measures in "Feet", not CFS.
You can view new gauge online at Poudre Rock Report.

So for today: 0.9' on Rock = 162 cfs (+/-) = 2.68' at Poudre Park.

It peaked at 5.28' on Friday, but has been 2' to 2.5' for the last 6 days other than the peak.
(Online Gauge shows 6 day history).

Will be confusing for a while, with people quoting "feet" without saying which gauge, as in,
"Hey, I ran PineView at 8 feet!"

·
Registered
515 Posts
Rich it is at the Hewlett gulch bridge just above Poudre Park. It was up and running last year. If you look a bit more carefully at the reading it does give CFS and was reported last year on the "Poudre Rock Report" on a regular basis by Mr Fabo. All the online "Feet" reading have no correlation to the gauge on the rock above Pine View Falls (except "the poudre rock report"). The real merit of this gauge is that it is above all the off river diversions so you can read the cfs and know that is what is in the river pretty much up to the "South Fork" unless there's a big rain event or all the low land snow comes off in a day or three. If you click on the green dot you will see the cfs. 322 cfs today at 1459 hrs so your above correlation is is off by almost a factor of 2.
All the information to correlate the reading at Hewlett and the rock gauge is available in the Poudre Rock Report. Just look for the postings from "Camp Fabo" and you can pretty much find a gauge reading and a CFS from the Hewlett gauge if you look back far enough.
Feel free to pull all the data and make a niffty graph of the flows at Hewlett and the rock. Good Luck

·
Registered
786 Posts
I know Tony Falbo reported both all last season - I was just curious if someone compiled and compared the data he reported so we would have a some idea what the CFS on that gauge means with respect to the rock gauge.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts