Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Notice to all Upper North Fork boaters: river access from the highway 80C bridge is private property and CLOSED TO ALL BOATERS!

Respect the landowners by following the guidebook directions to the put-in. Accessing the river from the highway means trespassing on private land. In speaking with several of the landowners at the put-in yesterday, it's clear that groups of boaters are opting to trespass in order to put-in at the bridge. Please respect the landowners and don't be tempted to put-in at the bridge.

To access the put-in, drive 1/4 miles past the bridge and park at the Trails End trailhead public parking area. From the trailhead, follow the trail above the river and private land about a mile southeast before the trail drops back down to the river.

p.s. On another note, the Upper North Fork was running at a historical high yesterday. According to the landowners, the river was the highest they've seen it in the 29 years they've lived there. It's running at a prime HIGH level and is as clean as its ever been. Come and get it while it's up, you may never have the chance to run it this high again. Be safe out there!

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Fuckin hordes.

Frenchy, nice! Glad it was good yesterday. Saturday was a lot of fun..that run is soo so much better with lots of water.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here is a report on this issue from the poudrepadllers. I don't know who is right, but right now there is conflicting info out there.

This morning I spoke with the Larimer Sheriff about the incident. I started by kindly asking what the restrictions for access were on the Lower North Fork of the Poudre. A few people later I spoke with someone that knew the area and said that the area next to the bridge is NOT their property and is technically not illegal to access. He said that she also shouldn’t have mentioned shooting guns in the direction of us and said he would send someone to talk to her about it. Threatening people isn’t the answer, and her and other owners in the vicinity have done this before.

Whether this happens or not, I didn’t file an incident report. I did give references of Greg and John in case there were questions.

In the end, if you’re planning on running the Lower North Fork, don’t park at the takeout. Fly in, fly out. Get ready in the Eagles Nest open space, it’s a nice somewhat close area. At the bridge put-in, it’s technically legal access, you’re not crossing private land (see attached map). If you do run into Linda or anyone else, report it to the Sheriff in Fort Collins when you return. She doesn’t own the river, nor should she be the gate keeper. She thinks the river is hers, and it isn’t.

I also reported this to the access committee at CWWA.

·
Registered
265 Posts
It is not a question of legality, it just taking the higher road for the greater good. You could have walked a simple mile and avoided conflict. Now you have the possibility of walking into a gun fight with a paddle.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Paul it seems you are talking about the Lower North Fork, this post is in regard to the Upper North Fork. Technically you can put in on the bridge as it is public right of way, however, you would have to balance on the guard rail and launch in.

The land owners are frustrated, and rightly so. They gave permission to one individual at one time to put in on their land and word got around to the point that anytime someone sees a land owner they use that persons name. The feeling I got from the land owners was they thought they were giving permission for a one time launch.

At the high water levels it was at yesterday it is a very fun run. Hiking in is quick and easy and considering you already have to hike down from the parking lot to the bridge is not an inconvenience.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I saw on the rock report the upper north fork Poudre is 741 on the some gauge. Is that still at the historic high levels? What's the nature of the run at that level? Continuous read and run class IV? Is it still clear of wood? Would my mother approve?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty sure that was a lower north fork gauge reading. There is no online gauge for the upper north fork, that I know of.

Haven't up to the upper north fork all week. If the farmer's fields are flooded at the put-in, then it's good clean IV+ (V-) read and run whitewater at that level and well worth the drive.

Spencer Heights should be running now too.... just fyi

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think the both reservoirs are full, so that kind of flow is likely up high too.

It was clear when we ran it high last weekend (at least there was a clear channel), but there's a lot of wood lurking on the banks. Treat "clear" with appropriate circumspect!

It was super fun IV with a V(ish) spike at the main drop. The corners are "swirly" just above the drop, with one of the swirls pushing a lot of water through the sieve... so be careful (someone has been through that route this year already... and apparently it was not pretty).

We've been waiting for years for that flow in the NF...

Marty

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
True dat, there was wood on the move when we ran it tuesday! Soon as we walked up to the crick we saw wood and a very fresh tree float by . Everything was good to go then and still running high. Fun read and run class iv+ with a V-ish spice like they said.

Guy that swam over the sieve is still laid up. He dislocated his shoulder and his son got to put it back in for him. Mighta been worse if ol Easy E and myself hadn't pulled that log outta the sieve pile two minutes before he swam through. I only mention it so that hopefully people will be pro-active about getting out of their freaking boats and dealing with wood rather than talking about it. Poudre paddlers dont play that.:wink:

Probably wanna scout the falls..pretty obvious pool above it that comes after lots of boogie. Have somethin else lined up to paddle when you're here..it was over before we knew it the other day,with them flows.

·
Registered
160 Posts
the way it looked... if you are rolling or swimming at the first corner (swirl) above the fall, you're most likely going through the sieve... (that's were the surface water goes)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts