Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey noticed 2 things this weekend I thought I'd point out. Probably more important to rafters than kayakers since both of these issues could rip a raft and would be hard to avoid if you were being lazy or didn't see them, kayakers can get around/over no problems really.

Anyway, there is a huge tree across the river in the small rapid/wave train just below where the stove prairie road joins HWY 14, its a slight left hand bend going into a long straight wave train, and the tree is near the bottom of the straightaway, with some serious ragged branches sticking up. Will probably move at high water, but for now be aware since it takes up most of the center channel. Easy to get around to the right or left if you're set up for it.

Second and harder to see, there is a steel T-post sticking out about 2 feet and back upstream in the rapid right above what most rafters call the "Goal Posts" or "Horseshoe hole" not really sure what its called to be honest, but is a decent rapid and the post is pretty much right in the center of the main line everyone takes. Again, easy to get right or left of it, but its hard to see and will likely destroy a raft fif you hit it. It's not even wiggling so it seems pretty stuck in there. Will be a bigger issue at higher flows when its just barely sticking out and looking to gouge the bottoms of boats.

There's nothing to do about the tree, but its probably worth an attempt to get that t-post out of there, maybe this week as the river came down a bunch with the cold weather, I can see it being a real issue soon.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Let's get the T post out of there

I didn't see the T post Saturday but let's get it out of there. My truck has a winch and I have hundreds of feet or rope and cable and I can do it Tues or Wed evenings if any kayaker wants to try to fasten on to it.

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is its right in the middle of the rapid, and a far throw from the road side bank... It would be tough to lasso it, and kinda dangerous to try float down and tie onto it. Plus then you'd have a rope across the main channel if anyone comes through... I'm willing to help though, I'm sure we can figure out a way to get it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I missed seeing this Saturday in my kayak... Does it make more sense to go right or left of the ledge hole at the top in a raft to avoid it?

·
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So it is hard to see. Its gray and kinda blends in, especially since you wouldnt be looking for it, but its one of these: Chicago Heights Steel Studded T Post (Length: 5' 6") at Blain's Farm & Fleet

Anyway at the top of that rapid there is a pretty wide wave that most people hit on the left side then drive to the left to avoid two little ledge holes in the center of the river, after the ledge holes normally you drive back towards the center. It's right there stuck in the second ledge hole, as the levels go up people will be going over that line for sure.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
it is in the middle rapid "ouzel hole/falls" the next major rapid after the staircase.

right in the middle of the rapid and river.

we tried to grab it and eddy out behind it to remove it. agreed it will ruin some rafts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Maybe try to use 1 or 2 pool sweep Alu poles. Attach rope to the end of the pole with light tape. Have a hitch/loop @ the end of pole. Drop the loop over it and have somebody else put tension on it? Its been a while sense I've been out there. I don't remember it being that wide? Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Removal planned

Couple of us are headed out around lunch to remove the post along with some wood that could pose issues. We'll keep you posted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts