Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an annual Clean-Up Event on the Poudre River?

The last couple times taking my kids down the Filter Plant section (running slalom between the hordes of tubers) I've noticed that the banks in that section are littered with dozens of blown inner tubes, beer cans, smashed coolers, cheap water bottles, at least three dozen sandals - all non matching cheap flip flops, etc.

Is there any group that organizes an annual clean up event? Do they organize a clean-up in conjunction with the River Fest that occurred last month?

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I lost a tube on the F Plant and feel bad about it. I will help with your efforts.

American Rivers has an annual river clean up event. Check it here.

They want someone to register weeks in advance. Lets just do this thing. I'll bring a truck and trash bags, and I bet we can get a keg of beer donated.

Why don't I suggest a date? How about the evening of Saturday, August 23? If everyone is in to it, chime in and we'll get the admins to make us a sticky...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. I wouldn't be able to make Sat the 23rd but I will donate a fresh copy of Whitewater of the Southern Rockies to the man or women who collects the most trash by weight if this thing goes down.

·
SarahofTheWaves
373 Posts
agree

Just better to do it. And drink beer at the same time. I also have a truck we can load trash into.
Maybe Sunday evening would be better. We could collect that full weekend of trash, as well. (Aug 24)
Sarah

·
Super Moderator
2,841 Posts
If someone were to call Ted's or any local business, I'd imagine they'd donate their dumpster space.

Might be worth rounding up some duckies to haul stuff, as getting in and out of a kayak gets old quick. Is there still enough water to get a larger raft through there? Again I would hope one of the outfitters would jump at lending out some boats to help.

·
Registered
676 Posts
if we can agree on a date, and if i'm in town that weekend, i'll offer my raft for trash collection purposes. a tarp in the front and back should hold a lot of bottles, cans, and tubes....

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Maybe Sunday evening would be better. We could collect that full weekend of trash, as well. (Aug 24)
Sarah
I agree with this. Let's do it Sunday the 24th in the evening. If there is enough water I'll row the mini-me and collect trash with it. I've done this before and the Mishawaka has let me use their dumpster space.

Admins, can you make a sticky? Let's all meet at 6:00 at Picnic Rock. Bring trash bags, trucks, and beer. If anyone has friends over at New Belgium, O'Dells, or FTC Brewery ask them if they'll donate a keg. Also guides, inform your co-workers. Maybe we can get a bus for this!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh Randy you are so dreamy with your love for the environment and mini me, hey I will be there if I haven't sold out to the man yet

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
It's good that you're coming though Jenn. Maybe you'll find some of the paddles you put in the water this season...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Poudre River Kayaks will donate some duckies to help with the event, I can't make it but hopefully Jaime can be there. Filter Plant is a mess and Poudre Park could use some work as well. Thanks to everyone who makes it out.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Maybe I will and some of my dignity, although there is little of that left
Jenn, you are very dignified. I just wish you would come cuddle tonight. Oh well, I guess I'll just sleep in the fetal position and cry again tonight...

Thanks for the ducks Brian. Poudre River Kayaks is a truly philanthropic business, so all of you newbies out there, sign up and take a class!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Clean-Up Still On?

For those who previously expressed interest in the clean-up: Are you still a Go? This Sunday, Aug 24th, meeting at 6:00 p.m. at Filter Take Out? Water is uber low, but still plenty of garbage to be cleaned up.

Cheers!

·
SarahofTheWaves
373 Posts
Said I'd do my penance and I will. Social engagement on Sunday afternoon will prevent me from being there at 6pm. I'll have my truck up there Sunday morning with the intention of filling it with trash. About 10am.

sarah

1 - 16 of 16 Posts