Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't seen a thread started on this topic, and most of the news stories don't give much specifics. Anyone up that way know what Poudre Canyon's status is? Is Mishawaka going to make it? Hope everyone's homes are ok.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
I just got down from Poudre Park. We spent the night up there and saw numerous spot fires on the South side of the river. Poudre Park itself (we did not inspect any side streets) along the river looked pretty good. The firehouse, all of the houses around it, the Columbine Lodge, and all the houses on the north side of the road along the river seemed to be fine. We couldn’t inspect everything, as we were in a hurry, but what we saw from the river was hopeful and surprisingly green through much of Poudre Park. We did see a burned garage next to a saved house in the lowest part of Poudre Park. The house opposite the road and upstream ¼ mile (where Jamie Jazinski used to live) seems to be in tact.

If anyone knows Becky and Roger from Colombine Lodge, please tell them that in addition to their property being apparently unharmed there are absolutely no signs of looting. Everything looks secure and untouched.
From Hewlett Gulch down the canyon there is more green than black it seemed. Picnic Rock saw a destroyed home and a lot of burn, but the parking lot and its structures survived, I think.
We have not been above Hewlett, but will report and post more when we get up there. I’m running the raft team for the incident and am not in the canyon illegally, so please hold back any calls to the authorities. That said, I’d rather keep these photos among the residents and out of the press in general, but please share them in whatever way seems to be the most effective to letting people know the status of their homes.
I’m going to follow this by posting as many pictures as I can. You can contact me by private message and please understand if I don’t get back to you right away, I have to sleep some and will be back up there again tonight.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Ben, we might not have taken a photo of your house just the garage/guest house, but your house with all the windows above BTO appeared to be intact and unburned. Again, we were traveling pretty fast but it seemed as fine as the garage does.

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts

That's all I have. If I can get any more photos out I'll post them here. There is risk of rockfall right now, but the road was pretty passable in the lower canyon. Let's hope they can safely open it soon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts