Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://m.ebay.com/itm/301688096113?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=dec91a2cd6864e48b4e718809da3ce2d&pid=100005&rk=4&rkt=6&sd=141722878027&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_mwBanner=1

A buddy found this and asked that I post here (he doesn't have an account), since it looks to be located in Colorado. If it is stolen, I hope someone gets their boat back...

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi ePowell,

Help me out here.

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet, but what signals does that ad send you, that makes you think it's stolen?

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Liquid logic has not, to my knowledge, ever made a boat named the Hook. No picture of the actual boat, language used in the description is a little weird ("water sled"). Plus, $50 with no reserve would be super cheap for a boat made in 2010. I know of a few people in the southeast who have recovered stolen boats (sometimes a couple of years later!) via eBay or craigslist posts selling the stolen property; the southeast paddling community is pretty good about keeping an eye out for these things.

Of course, I could be completely wrong (which is why I said "possible"); hopefully I am wrong and the seller just doesn't know what he has.

- Emily

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
in my opinion, I dont know that it is stolen, LL did make a Huck, it wou;d be an older creek boat.

Worth less than 200$ for sure, add says its beat up. I cant say for sure, but it could be legit.

It is odd that they put a pic of pat keller getting rad, and used some hip terminology, they are counting on some new kayaker to feed on the stoke rather than the boat.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi Emily,

Thanks -- I'm not very dialed into the kayaking scene, hence my question. While I wouldn't commit to buying anything like this sight unseen, I was just trying to learn a bit. If one was really interested, I suppose you could ask the seller for the serial number, and maybe some actual pictures, and information on paddle type, etc.

It's up to $65 now. If Bob's thoughts about real-world value are in the right ball park (and the seller sticks with local pickup only in Avon) there might be a limited market that would tend to hold pricing down.

A related question.

Is there a stolen boat registry anywhere in the LE or boating community that collects such information? Is that a function the Buzz could serve in a more organized manner than just random posts buried in "Lost and Found"?

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been rockin my hook for years. awesome river sled for these here rockies! Couple of micro cracks at tip and tale from prefect pitons but still could fetch around $200.
Something fishy there on that ebay listing, definitely a non-boater listing it. maybe be hot. definitely a deal at $50.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The seller added this: "The serial number is: U.S.-EQK05018 J405 DEMO

The boat was purchase from Alpine Quest in Edwards, Colorado used for $790.00"

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Hi,

The fact the serial number was just added in the listing (after I suggested it here) might lead one to believe the seller is watching this thread.

If that's the case, why don't you post some more clarifying information here? It might decrease the skepticism and increase your potential buyer pool.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Are a lot of stolen boats sold on E-Bay? I would think its a relatively high-rise platform to fence stolen gear. I would think Craigslist, KSL or another platform that does not have your permanent contact information and financial resources associated with an account would be much safer for the thief. The user associated with the E-Bay account has almost 200 transactions and a solid rating.

Phillip

·
Registered
441 Posts
There is nothing fishy about this auction. The seller has solid feedback and pictures posted. A low starting price does not mean anything. I have often started valuable items at 99 cents. A good listing with a good description and pictures will almost always fetch close to the items value. I have even noticed that auctions with a low starting price sometimes generate more interest and thus end up getting bid higher than they would otherwise. Unless someone knows of a stolen boat that matches the description, I suggest that you forget about it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This seller is good to go. I have bought items off of him before. Poor guy, getting his ad all beat down for no reason. Somebody should buy this boat and get hooked.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts