Mountain Buzz banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
I think thats a good idea, but the second boat that we pulled out yesterday flipped us off and said "Fuck you we'll go where we want!" right before they went through and after we had pointed right. No matter what happens, people are still going to do what they want.

Was this the purple aire? We picked up one of their paddles down river and returned at takeout and they seemed appreciative, but also somewhat nonchalant about dumping everyone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The purple aire was the first raft that went through and they were pretty nice about it, the second was a red one with a frame, not sure what kind but half of them didn't have pfds on.

·
Plunk your magic twanger!
1,256 Posts
No matter what happens, people are still going to do what they want.
I agree, and have no problem with that. I've taken different lines through the wave myself including down the center in 2011 at 20,000 cfs. I've learned that the feature does what it was designed to do - it recirculates:rolleyes:.

The danger is from unsuspecting people with inadequate skill and gear ending up where they don't intend to be. The river is VERY wide at the park and a tuber, or inexperienced paddle crew, will have a difficult time getting right to hit the boat chute if they don't set up early enough. A sign at Two Rivers park and by the pump at Grizzly Creek, perhaps with a photo or illustration, could help educate people who want to take the safest line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
a la derecha

We saw more carnage today as two high school kids came down in a tube and were held in the hole for about 30 seconds. They soon came out, but their tube was in there for about an hour. We lined a kayak and managed to punch it through the hole and dislodge the boat.
I agree - re-working the river left feature would help along with a better sign.. How about in Spanish as well: "¡A la derecha!!!"

·
Registered
6 Posts
Someone on here paddles a dozen times a year and thinks they are the stuff. arm chair paddlers... good job PeelSauce.. its a learning thing on the whitewater... I just got into kayaking a few years ago but been rafting most of my 40 years.. It is a sport that doesnt have a ton of formal structure like most sports.. its a wild sport an adventure sport.... you paddle and learn... you learn from others... but to help save lives is awesome.. no matter how it worked ... it worked this time and lessons were still learned.. good job.. keep gaining knowledge and learn.. but a smartass that gets kicks of knowing everything and bashing in a pompass arogant way should have zero room on my fun bus... bet he has been on the water less than 10 years and paddles on weekends... hahaha good job guys.. keep a throw bag.... keep learing.. and love the heart and effort a couple people actually made to save this lady.... keep it up!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Kris ill bring a throw bag for you any day of the week! Cheers buddy. But seriously, we all need to take a step back and something needs to actually get done about it. One close call was enough for me. I think more signs as well as some reworking of the hole would be good. Can we have the best of both worlds?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks like a raft got surfed in the hole and the fire department got called.

I think it was in there for about 10 minutes until it was released. Everyone seemed OK but I just saw it on the webcam.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Who designed this feature anyway? I've had some fun there but never really got it....
useless center and what's with the concrete blocks? ugly not natural!
Please tell me G L did not make this...
I say redesign time !
just saying

·
Registered
142 Posts
^ THIS is a very good quote. Go prepared for the worst out there, people....
Self-policing is the only kind that works. We've all seen people with a vest firmly strapped onto their boat or truck inner-tube. Or vests (and ropes) left in their car. If you're boating with me, you're wearing your vest. And if you're boating with me, we'll play with a rope for a couple of tosses, with and without the bag. Just making sure everything works and we're all tuned up. Our odds of having skills when we need them are made better by staying in tune. And the odds of a successful throw are improved by a couple of good throws before putting in. And it demnstrates for others that ... maybe there's something more to this that they should be thinking about. We have all seen people get flustered and throw the whole bag with the rope out to the swimmer. And we've watched people throw the rope, bag, and everything back over their heads and up into the trees. The reason for rescue skills is that you and I screw up. I learn and practice CPR & rescue skills for you. I want YOU to learn and practice them for ME, capish?
And lest you think you're so danmed slick ... I've almost never been properly hit with a rope when I could have used one!
So ... who is this old flake? I was one of the principals who brought the first river rescue cert to Oregon. The Guides and Packers didn't want it. The Red Cross didn't want it. The State didn't want it. USFS, BLM, Fire & Rescue, Rec departments, S&R, Sheriff, the raft, canoe, and kayak clubs didn't want it. It took 2 years promoting it before we could put together a single class. Nobody wanted he liability. And nobody thought they needed it because they didn't know what it was. But most every group sent a couple of people to check it out, and viola! We had a class. And every group received the same feedback ... D**MN STRAIGHT, WE NEED THIS!
So ... what's the one thing you'll always see me do before a launch? "Get the rope wet." Throw it! Statistically, you and I screw up. "Accidents" happen to ... US! So ... toss a stick in the water, and see if you can drop a rope on it. If you're the average boater, twenty bucks says miss it on your first toss. And 50% of the boaters are below average.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts