Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was informed by Glenwood Whitewater Park regulars Marty and Marianne that an inflatable kayaker was caught in the river left side of the feature last night around 7pm. Apparently she clung to the over turned IK for a good 5-8 minutes while it recirculated in the hole before loosing consciousness and flushing downstream. CPR was performed by other river users on scene prior to 911 arrival. She was unresponsive and unconscious when evacuated by medical personnel.

Over the last week a number of people and craft have been caught in the river left side of the feature. This is likely due to slight changes to the feature this winter as crews were altering the river bank to better stabilize the riverside rock walls.

Please post additional information here. I'd like to get a good comment stream together to begin assessing whether a citizens group needs to ask the City to have the wave reworked on that side. Let's hope changing river flows will render such a conversation unnecessary but until then please stick to the river right boat chute wave and hope for a recovery from last night's victim.

·
Registered
10 Posts
glenwood wave

Sad news. I heard the rumor as well. Despite the signs telling you to go river left - I saw a number of folks going off that side. The hole super dangerous right now at this level.

·
Registered
18 Posts
she lives!

I was part of the rescue team the other day at the near drowning accident. just a update on the lady's status for the others that were there too...she lives! we called the hospital yesterday and got news that the victim was being released from the hospital. It was a scary incident indeed....her PFD was not fitted properly, she seemed to have zero river knowledge, and was in full panic mode after falling out. people that use the river, even those on a class II float need to get some kind of knowledge of what the dangers are. also, I think a new sign (a bigger/more noticable one) should be put up because the ones in place are not doing the job.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was there for the first rescue on saturday and helped with 2 more yesterday. I was planning on making a call to the city today to put up some sort of sign. Its getting ridiculous.

·
Registered
447 Posts
We are going over to Glenwood for a couple days next week to check out hot springs hang out boat/bike a little.
Where is the Glenwood Whitewater Park? And from the above posts I can't tell which way to go when you get there, river left or river right? Thank you very much.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The cynic in me says that no matter the size of the sign

some tourists are going to make the stop at walmart and go jump in the river.

I'm sorry you have been sucked into this. Thanks for helping them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Every day I have been there the last week people have gotten stuck. I was part of the first group when we got the lady and was with Ty yesterday when we had to rope two rafts out of the hole. I would say it defiantly needs to get worked on because I don't really want to have to bring a throw bag to the play park.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good work to those involved in the rescues!

I agree that additional signage seems futile. I would vote for a slight rework of the river left bank. I am going to mention this to the Glenwood Wave Events Committee, of which I am a junior member, and see if they want to proceed to the City Council on the matter.

One reason for this, the work done this winter was likely bonded and can likely therefore be performed for free or near to it and we may be able to improve the feature's low water performance while we are at it. I know altering an already successful feature is always a touchy issue, so please comment here with your opinion.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It is ALWAYS in my nomad haha not in any of the play boats I use after work. But I think some reworking would be good, at low levels the only side that is decent is the river right side anyways and even that could use some work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am glad to hear she is okay after what happened. I too was part of the rescue, just happened to be driving by after taking out at 2 rivers. Kudos to everyone involved. The rescue efforts by everyone there was awesome and the end result is proof; the young group of kayakers, the two ski patrollers from Breck and Keystone in the Mini-me. She did panic, would not let go of her boat and was getting tossed around, would not grab the throw rope, she did not have a pulse when pulled from the river, CPR was performed for 3-4 minutes, and she was brought back to consciousness prior to the medics arrival.

She was in a small inflatable raft that appeared to be under-inflated and was not wearing a "river" life vest, but a lake/ski vest that was not properly fitted. There were many people on the river this weekend that were not using proper equipment or any equipment for that matter. Prevention is difficult when a sport is self-policed.

Treemanji - Stay river right and go through the tongue. If in doubt there is a pull out on river right to scout.

·
Registered
131 Posts
cut the shit and carry a rope. something tells me you wouldn't be any help in a rescue anyway.
While I agree he needs to carry a rope, none of the other play boaters were. You dont really think youll need a rope playboating. After the incident, I'm always going to carry my rope, class 1 or 5. And you're wrong, he was helpful in 3 separate incidents this weekend.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think thats a good idea, but the second boat that we pulled out yesterday flipped us off and said "Fuck you we'll go where we want!" right before they went through and after we had pointed right. No matter what happens, people are still going to do what they want.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts