Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be in the Hillsboro/Portland area 2-June for business, and was trying to figure out if I should try to get there the weekend before and try to hit a river. I'd have to find a boat+paddle rental, but could bring my other gear on the plane.

I'd love to try to hit up a park-n-huck type spot, as I haven't had the chance to hit any waterfalls.

I'm a solid Class IV+, working on class V, boater.

Can someone provide any recommendations? Is there a better forum for this? I think boof.com is only CA?

Thanks!

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
I don't know the seasonal variations but I do know there are lots of goods that way and something will be running.

PDX Kayaker facebook page is reasonably active. professorpaddle.com is another option.

·
Registered
248 Posts
For PDX, you will want to post to pdxkayaker.org yahoo group or the facebook page. Professor paddle is a great resource, but mostly for Washington.

Next Adventure Next Adventure does free demos of boats. You might want to call them ahead to make sure they are cool with it, but it may save you some money.

There are always runs doing the Upper Clackamas (Class III+ to IV at current flows). It is an hour drive from Portland.

It sounds like you are wanting something a little more advanced, so I would recommend The upper sections of the White Salmon, which is 1.5-2 hours from Portland near Hood River oregon (across the river in Washington). The Green Truss section of the White Salmon is a NW Classic. Experienced TL is required for this run and folks may be a little bit hesitant to take a stranger with unknown skills. I would call some of the outfitters in Husum Washington (Wet Planet, River Drifters etc..) to see if any of their folks are running then. Worst case scenario, you can run the middle white which is a great run. It has been Class IV recently with higher than average water (4.5 feet on the Husum gauge). Husum falls isn't really being run right now - as the boil line is like 25 feet from the base of the rapid...meaning a swim would be....sporty.

Also, Opal Creek is just a bit low right now...if there is significant rain before you get here and the Little North Santiam comes up Opal Creek is one of the most beautiful runs you could paddle. Also about 1.5-2 hours from Portland.

Opal Creek
Kayaking Opal Creek on Vimeo

Green Truss
The Green Truss on Vimeo

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my date wrong, it'll be 8-June.

Anyways, I was looking at maybe flying into Seattle, running Canyon Creek, and trekking back down to Portland. Looks like it might be worth it?

·
Registered
786 Posts
When you run canyon creek stop at the EF Lewis - it's in the same area and very close to Portland. You can park and huck the ~15 foot falls at the put in as much as you want before running the class IV gorge below. It's a fun run.

As mentioned Opal Creek and the Truss are fantastic runs. Based on your description of your skills you should be good to go for the Truss depending on flows, but it might be a step up for you. If in doubt, Farmlands is a great run right above the Truss, and is more manageable. The Wind has some super fun IV-IV+ options as well in that same area.

There are too many other options to name around both Portland and Seattle to list here. I fully recommend Leland Davis's North American Whitewater Book for a list of the classics.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, Brian. The Truss looks like it would be a step up, but not out of the question. It's definitely a different style river than we have here in CO!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts