Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience using a propane portable water heater on a grand trip? Looking for the highest out put of water/heat, and most durable. Looking for one that would be able to possibly fill a blow up kiddie pool for a hot tub. Anyone have experience doing this?

Any other simple/easy options for a hot tub on the grand? Also considering the wall tent/ wood burning stove sauna option.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I've seen folks do this by making a copper coil, (maybe 20 feet of 1/2" copper tubing wrapped around a bucket) placing it in a fire and pumping water through it. They made a water trough hot tub (a metal 2 person deal) and it worked great. It was pretty simple - I believe they just used a drill attachment style pump, pumped water out of the river with it and then circulated it from the tub, trough the fire and back into the tub. took like an hour to get it too hot and had to add cold water.

·
Paddling in to the Future
574 Posts
I have a zodi shower, you'd go through like 20lbs of propane to heat a tub of water. it's okay for a shower, after you've recirculated it in the same 20 gallon bin for 30 minutes or so to get it to where you have a decent temp for a shower. for a hot tub, you'd just burn way too much propane for way too long to get it up to temp. if they had more tubing and a bigger heater it might work better.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I have made several portable hot tubs over the years, from 4 person to 20 persons. Wood fired or propane fired. The biggest challenge is that it takes a long time and a lot of BTU's to heat several 100 gallons of water.
This makes them impractical for overnight camping, multiple days at the same site are OK, but way too long to setup for an overnighter.

The 4 person unit was fastest startup. Heated by a very efficient burner unit salvaged from a propane tankless water heater with an electric pump to circulate water. It needed 2.5 - 20 lbs propane bottles and a little over 8 hours to come to full heat (105 degrees) starting with water (52 degrees) The big 20 seater was wood fired and burned an entire cord of wood to get to temp in about 24 hours.

You might consider a sauna instead. An old canvas wall tent with a small stove and a pan of rocks will heat up in under 20 minutes.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I did a little 'back of the envelope' calculations and wish to modify my previous post. While I never achieved these results, based on the raw numbers it may be possible.

This of example assumes 100% efficiency in the heater and no radiant or convective heat losses which is not really possible.

assuming a 4' x 4' x 30" tall tub = 40 cu ft of water
40 cu ft x 62.4 = 2496 lbs of water
1 BTU = the heat required to heat 1 lbs water +1 degree F
assume water starts at 52 degrees F heated to 105 degrees: delta T = 53

2496 lbs of water x 53 degrees = 132,288 BTU

a blaster stove produces 65,000 BTU/hr, so if you could capture all of the heat you could be tubing in a little over 2 hours

a really full 20 lb bottle of propane has 366,000 BTU's, enough to do it 2x.
(note: most bottles only get filled about 75%, unless they are bleed during filling which rarely happens)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a zodi shower, you'd go through like 20lbs of propane to heat a tub of water. it's okay for a shower, after you've recirculated it in the same 20 gallon bin for 30 minutes or so to get it to where you have a decent temp for a shower. for a hot tub, you'd just burn way too much propane for way too long to get it up to temp. if they had more tubing and a bigger heater it might work better.

Right on looks like those are not a solid option for a community tub thanks for the beta.

I did a little 'back of the envelope' calculations and wish to modify my previous post. While I never achieved these results, based on the raw numbers it may be possible.

This of example assumes 100% efficiency in the heater and no radiant or convective heat losses which is not really possible.

assuming a 4' x 4' x 30" tall tub = 40 cu ft of water

40 cu ft x 62.4 = 2496 lbs of water

1 BTU = the heat required to heat 1 lbs water +1 degree F

assume water starts at 52 degrees F heated to 105 degrees: delta T = 53

2496 lbs of water x 53 degrees = 132,288 BTU

a blaster stove produces 65,000 BTU/hr, so if you could capture all of the heat you could be tubing in a little over 2 hours

a really full 20 lb bottle of propane has 366,000 BTU's, enough to do it 2x.

(note: most bottles only get filled about 75%, unless they are bleed during filling which rarely happens)

Great info thanks!!! I'm going to mull this info over and take some considerations on the other "tub" post on mtbuzz. Those btu calculations are amazing!

·
Registered
644 Posts
This one looks pretty well equipped for river use: Nomad.

I am especially intrigued by the heater coil that can be used with wood, charcoal or propane, and doesn't require a pump- thermosiphoning to create circulation. I wonder how well that actually works. . .

·
Beginner
2,470 Posts
Any other simple/easy options for a hot tub on the grand? Also considering the wall tent/ wood burning stove sauna option.
Or you could just enjoy the Grand for what it is... this is going to be a pain in the ass for you and your whole group.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Or you could just enjoy the Grand for what it is... this is going to be a pain in the ass for you and your whole group.
Ya a Jerry rigged hot tub will be more work than it's worth. A riverside sauna is way more practical and offers similar or better results.

·
Registered
339 Posts
You can use an empty bucket boat as the hot tub. Rig up some kind of water heater/recirculator using blaster stoves and your set. I assume you would only be doing this for the awesome photo op.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We used the original nomad on Westwater this past weekend. It took quite a while to heat up, but once we got it hot and switched from propane to fire, we used it all night and it was pretty amazing.

bring plenty of buckets for a fire line to fill it, a lot of propane to start it, a tarp to cover it while it heats up, and stir it constantly. Great for an overnighter but I can't imagine using it more than a few times over the course of your entire trip down the grand. its a lot of work.

If i can figure out how to post a picture I will

RMR, Hyside, NRS, Sawyer, K2 coolers, Whitewater Worthy Trailers, Frames and soft goods
483 Posts
We just got sponsored by nomad for our Thanksgiving Rogue trip. I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts