Mountain Buzz banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Used the PUP on our MFS as well. Best fire pan on the market. Total game changer. I think it is the best advancement in river camping gear in the last ten years. Right there with sand mats and woodland power stoves.
Totally agree - the holy trinity of rafting gear!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just used one on the Main Salmon. It worked great until sand got in the frame and we were unable to collapse the frame down to pack. Has anybody else had this problem? Based on my experience I would not recommend.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
I just used one on the Main Salmon. It worked great until sand got in the frame and we were unable to collapse the frame down to pack. Has anybody else had this problem? Based on my experience I would not recommend.

That is an odd issue to have. There are channels cut out from the inner poles specifically meant to prevent this. Could you provide pictures or better yet a video of what you're experiencing and I might be able to pin down the issue.

In the mean time shoot me a DM and we can get you a replacement sent out so you don't miss any days on the water.

Cheers,
Triston
Fireside Team

·
Registered
819 Posts
It worked great until sand got in the frame and we were unable to collapse the frame down to pack. Has anybody else had this problem?
Never had this problem, but I wash mine before I collapse and pack it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I’ve had the same sand in the legs problems. I also went a little overboard with bacon wrapped jalop poppers that dripped a lot grease so my fault. I’m going to take some stove cleaner to it one of these weekends.

·
Registered
77 Posts
pop up pit review

Got one of these this summer and had the screen fail after the first use - big, late night, fire with juniper logs... It had a couple of holes from the 1st night and when I took it out of the bag a few weeks later the screen was rusting and completely falling apart. The Campfire Defender guys quickly sent out a replacement without hassle - THANKS! The new screen has performed without issue so far and I did start putting the heat shield at the bottom of the legs instead of a couple inches below the screen. My first fire did slightly torch the foil and my thought was maybe the heat shield reflected too much heat the first time and overheated the screen. Who really needs to reflect the heat up anyways, to me it's just an ash catcher. My only other issue is the canvas bag has several good sized rips from the mesh screen. CD any reason you don't make the bags out of tougher PVC like the grill comes with? Seems like that would stand up to the screen better.

Has anyone taken this down the GC and put a good 20+ days of fires on the screen? Seems like most of the reviews are for about a week or so use at best.

Love this product and the fact that these guys seem to want to improve their product with our feedback!

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Got one of these this summer and had the screen fail after the first use - big, late night, fire with juniper logs... It had a couple of holes from the 1st night and when I took it out of the bag a few weeks later the screen was rusting and completely falling apart. The Campfire Defender guys quickly sent out a replacement without hassle - THANKS! The new screen has performed without issue so far and I did start putting the heat shield at the bottom of the legs instead of a couple inches below the screen. My first fire did slightly torch the foil and my thought was maybe the heat shield reflected too much heat the first time and overheated the screen. Who really needs to reflect the heat up anyways, to me it's just an ash catcher. My only other issue is the canvas bag has several good sized rips from the mesh screen. CD any reason you don't make the bags out of tougher PVC like the grill comes with? Seems like that would stand up to the screen better.

Has anyone taken this down the GC and put a good 20+ days of fires on the screen? Seems like most of the reviews are for about a week or so use at best.

Love this product and the fact that these guys seem to want to improve their product with our feedback!
Thank you for the review and sharing your experience. We are really working to improve our category of products to make them as bulletproof as possible when dealing with fire.

Some things that can be done to improve longevity is to remember this fire pit works with the air draw from the fire. The fire is drawing up the cold air and actually cooling the aluminum and stainless steel as the fire radiates heat. Keeping your fire in the middle of the pit helps substantially. Also, please never use Magic Flames or any other flame color changer as this is actually magnesium powder and burns at over 4000F deg. This fire color changer product will burn right through most metals.

The Heat Shield should be placed about 6-7" below the Fire Mesh for optimum distance(This is a recent change with our testing). Every inch below the Fire Mesh is appx. 250F-300F degree difference.

Finally, please rinse the Fire Mesh off with water before storing for 4 weeks or longer. The fire ash mixed with humidity can turn into a caustic Base that will eat at the stainless steel possibly reducing its lifespan.

We are working on an upgraded bag as this is being written. Hope to have this in stock before Christmas. Thank you again for your trust and support. We will keep updated on all product information and new products on the horizon.

Best,
Triston
Fireside Team

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
All I gotta say is I, along with everyone else on my recent Lodore trip, was super impressed by the pop up pit. Very light weight yet well built, easy to put together after you figure it out the first time and it does an amazing job of fully burning the wood and charcoal you put in it with minimal leftover ash or chunks. I swear there was less smoke coming off the fire into peoples eyes as well. Oh, did I mention that its less then half the price of any other decent NPS/BLM compliant firepan setup I know of?

The grilling grate system is "great" as well. We did everything from cook burgers and fish on it, to dutch ovens (I put the grate down on top of the mesh to rest the DO's on) to large campfires( I think we had two bundles of wood on in there the last night) and it held up admirably in all situations. I think you'll be selling a couple more of these based on what other people on the trip said.

They all remarked that "it was about time came up with some major modern innovations for a firepan". I got mine by contacting Fireside directly via PM here on mountainbuzz and they gave me a great deal. Truly impressed and I obviously highly recommend them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
We just received ours and we're looking forward to see how it handles five nights on the Deschutes next week . May need to stake it down if the canyon decides to blow. Anyone have a good staking system?

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
We just received ours and we're looking forward to see how it handles five nights on the Deschutes next week . May need to stake it down if the canyon decides to blow. Anyone have a good staking system?
We had a couple of very windy days (40+ mph winds) on my Lodore trip last week and I just placed a medium sized rock in one corner of the pan and it didn't budge.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #131 (Edited)
Hey Everyone!

We were recently nominated by USA Today as one of the top 10 best gifts for adventurers. I'm not sure what we get for winning but it would be cool to win a national competition.

If you guys wanted to support us in a totally free way you can vote here once per day:

USA Today's 10 Best

As always we appreciate the continued support

Cheers,
Triston
Fireside Team

·
Registered
107 Posts
We took a pop up pit on last week's Desolation Canyon trip. Seriously awesome product, zero issues. Good reminder on weighing the pan with a rock or two, we had insane winds last week, and am glad ours didn't blow away. I bet everyone on our trip ends up buying one, sure was nice to leave the rusty old beast in the truck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A couple of PUP problems

Dear Campfire Defender: I recently used my new pit for four nights down the lower Rio Grande. Came home with a damaged pit. Problem one was entirely my fault- I carelessly left the corner grill holders on after cooking and completely melted one. Second is una mysteria- one corner rivet on the mesh popped off, leaving just a hole in the mesh. Can you send a grill-holder to replace the one I melted? And what do you recommend I do to fix the grommet? Thanks for reponse

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
Dear Campfire Defender: I recently used my new pit for four nights down the lower Rio Grande. Came home with a damaged pit. Problem one was entirely my fault- I carelessly left the corner grill holders on after cooking and completely melted one. Second is una mysteria- one corner rivet on the mesh popped off, leaving just a hole in the mesh. Can you send a grill-holder to replace the one I melted? And what do you recommend I do to fix the grommet? Thanks for reponse

Uncle Steve,

I do have to say I believe this is a first for either of these problems. Not sure why the grill holders had an issue, I almost never take my grill connectors off personally. (Should probably start doing that).

With the Fire Mesh it was probably a manufacturing issue with sealing that grommet down all the way.

I would make a terrible insurance rep because I'm gonna go ahead and say you're covered on this one.

Private message me your address and we'll get replacements sent out.

Cheers,
Triston
Fireside Team

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Thanks, Triston: If you sned me a spare heat shield and a spare mesh, I'll keep them handy for the day they wear out (and pay the costs). Love the product and your dedicated service. Uncle Steve Harris

On its way!

Cheers,
Triston
Fireside Team

121 - 139 of 139 Posts