Mountain Buzz banner

81 - 100 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
The snow is knee deep in the yard, but setting this up in the house has me excited for some river side fires! This is a well designed, and built, product.

Does the mesh stretch after some use? Getting it on is pretty tight.

I'm really excited about this grill. STEAK NIGHT!!!

·
Registered
133 Posts
The snow is knee deep in the yard, but setting this up in the house has me excited for some river side fires! This is a well designed, and built, product.

According to their promo video it is purposely tight out of the box. Over time it loosens.....

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

The Mesh will stretch, especially after the first fire in it. When you put the mesh on it is easier to leave the grommets at the tops of the poles until you have all four holes over the poles so everything goes down together if that makes sense.

If you have any questions I recommend taking a couple of minutes just to review this video: https://youtu.be/IRTny39TK1Y?t=132

I skipped ahead for you to the part about the fire mesh

Let us know if you have anymore questions!

Cheers,
Fireside Outdoor Team

·
Sponsoring Vendors
286 Posts
Just like Triston with Fireside said, put the all corners of the mesh down evenly. If one side gets into place before the other sides, it will be much more difficult. If all 4 sides get pushed down evenly, it is much easier. The same goes when removing it as well.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)
Hey All,

We made up our own regulation ember mat if you still don't have one for the season.

It has coated silicon on both sides so it shouldn't absorb much water/is easier to clean and has the reflective taping around the outside to help you see at night. The reflective taping also produces a bad-ass lighting effect when a fire is burning

These are NOT available to the general public right now because we don't have enough inventory in stock, so the only way you can buy them is through this link:

https://firesideoutdoor.com/products/ground-ember-mat

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just received one of these pop up pits as a birthday present from a rafting buddy. It is a really cool piece of gear, and can't wait to actually put it to use once all of this snow melts!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey All,

We made up our own regulation ember mat if you still don't have one for the season.

It has coated silicon on both sides so it shouldn't absorb much water/is easier to clean and has the reflective taping around the outside to help you see at night. The reflective taping also produces a bad-ass lighting effect when a fire is burning

These are NOT available to the general public right now because we don't have enough inventory in stock, so the only way you can buy them is through this link:

https://firesideoutdoor.com/products/ground-ember-mat

What kind of burn/ scorch resistance do these have?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ordered one a couple weeks ago, came in last week. It looks like a good product, light, easy to set up/take down. I like that the bag is big enough to get it all packed in easily. I DON'T LIKE the sharp corners. Just setting it up and taking it down and putting it in the bag a couple times, I can already tell the bag won't last half a season with those corners. Corners also pose a serious hazard in camp. Not a huge deal, nothing that a rasp and 20 minutes didn't fix. Maybe later iterations will feature rounded corners. Also, as others have said, I'm wondering how long this thing will last. Super cool that you can order pieces as they break down instead of buying a whole new setup. Even if longevity is only half the life of a Cambridge or the like, you're still getting a better bang for your buck over time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
What kind of burn/ scorch resistance do these have?
This is the answer I got from the manufacturer:

Thanks for your order. We started with a 50% silica, non flammable fiberglass sub straight. We then coated it with high temperature 100% pure silicone. Similar silicone to oven mitts and pot holders. We dual coated it so it won’t absorb moisture. The reflective edging is a non-toxic reflective material used in firefighter apparel.

The grommets are standard steel and the thread we used is kelvar.

Product will be tested on the salt in three weeks......

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ordered and got it last week and used it to grill some burgers last weekend.
Needed to use a fair amount of charcoal, because the grill-grates are farther from heat than I'm used to, but otherwise a kick ass product. Easy set-up/breakdown and super light. Like others have said coals burn faster with screen and airflow. I can't wait to use in the desert next week.

Attachments

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Ordered one a couple weeks ago, came in last week. It looks like a good product, light, easy to set up/take down. I like that the bag is big enough to get it all packed in easily. I DON'T LIKE the sharp corners. Just setting it up and taking it down and putting it in the bag a couple times, I can already tell the bag won't last half a season with those corners. Corners also pose a serious hazard in camp. Not a huge deal, nothing that a rasp and 20 minutes didn't fix. Maybe later iterations will feature rounded corners. Also, as others have said, I'm wondering how long this thing will last. Super cool that you can order pieces as they break down instead of buying a whole new setup. Even if longevity is only half the life of a Cambridge or the like, you're still getting a better bang for your buck over time.
The corners is something we are already working on! They're just aluminium so you can round them down pretty easily yourself if you care to take the time. If you ever have trouble with a bag failing just give us a call and we'll take care of ya.

·
Registered
116 Posts
MFS Salmon trip coming up at the end of May and was debating on what fire pan to buy. Found this thread and there is no way I couldn't try one for the price. Ordered a fire pan and extra screen today. What a deal. Will see about upgrading with the grill kit soon.

As others have said, thanks for being a stand up sponsor of the site and standing behind your product and following up on issues.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
MFS Salmon trip coming up at the end of May and was debating on what fire pan to buy. Found this thread and there is no way I couldn't try one for the price. Ordered a fire pan and extra screen today. What a deal. Will see about upgrading with the grill kit soon.

As others have said, thanks for being a stand up sponsor of the site and standing behind your product and following up on issues.
And thank you for giving us a shot. I'm sure you're going to be more than happy with the Pop-Up Pit's performance but if you do have any issues or questions don't hesitate to reach out.

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
How about a mini Campfire Defender designed to fit the Pop-Up Pit? Would be nice to put out a fire faster, particularly if the wind picks up.

Also would like one bag that holds the Pit, grills, and fire blanket (perhaps some tongs and spatula too) so it's all one tidy package.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
How about a mini Campfire Defender designed to fit the Pop-Up Pit? Would be nice to put out a fire faster, particularly if the wind picks up.

Also would like one bag that holds the Pit, grills, and fire blanket (perhaps some tongs and spatula too) so it's all one tidy package.

We are working on all of the above right now! The current issue with the campfire defender material is how expensive it is so we're playing with a few different ways to combat this.

We are also working on some different gear bag designs so that is in the funnel as well!

Love the suggestions, keep em comin'

·
Registered
93 Posts
I bought the pop up fire pit just prior to spring break, had it out on over 100 plus miles. The thing is amazing, almost no ash to pack out in the morning.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Review

Got one. Used it on several trips so far. Pluses:

Lightweight
Compact
Roomy
Burns great
Nachos underneath from radiant heat --!!!!!!!

Nitpick
Grommets for screen should be stainless. They started to rust after the first use.

five stars from me.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Update

So had the pit out on it’s third trip(grande Ronde River). After having an issue with the first mesh. It developed holes after the first fire. I called the company and talked with Mark. He sent me out a new one. It seemed like a different material. It has performed flawlessly. 6 fires on the new mesh, one of those was a burn everything we are off tomorrow fire. All I can say is it’s a great design and the guys at fireside industry have some of the best customer service around. If you have a problem just give them a call and they take care of it.

81 - 100 of 139 Posts