Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use a poly deck strapped down to frame for a captain seat? Wondering where I could purchase this. Figure I could put a drop bag below this deck and put a paco on top for the captain seat. Who sells these? Thinking like 50 x 20”

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,476 Posts
On my old 12' used to sit on a throw cushion that sat on a plywood deck, so essentially the same thing. It worked fine, you need to make sure your towers are adjusted accordingly. Most towers are sized for the rower to sit a little higher so you may need to cut them down etc.

DRE will cut you whatever size poly you want, router whatever slots you want etc. They also have some pretty sweet mounts that turn it into a flip hatch for easy open and close.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
DRE will cut you whatever size poly you want, router whatever slots you want etc. They also have some pretty sweet mounts that turn it into a flip hatch for easy open and close.
Below is the flip hatch fitting Zach B mentions. It was the end result of trying to find a better way. I was struggling with using hardware with webbing. Zach S brought in our favorite solutions guy, Earl Wiggert(sp?), and this is what he came up with. This eventually led to other precision machined innovations such rod holder mounts and Bimini mounts.

https://d20gdy1q9848h5.cloudfront.n...ct_photos/rd_images/rd_Bimini_Mounts_Main.jpg

·
Registered
328 Posts
River Boat Works-Partneron MBuzz

RiverBoat Works in Salida, CO.... Great local CO
They did my front bay,I drop a bag store whatever, depends on the trip, and pad on top, I also cut out a piece myself for my shade structure

·
Registered
126 Posts
I purchased a pre-cut and routered piece from these guys and drilled holes with a hole saw for lashing points and used a jig saw to cut out the corners for the frame rails. I think i used a 1/4" roundover bit on both sides to soften the edges. 3/4" thick is a must for any span over 10" roughly. The flex of thinner material is annoying and can loosen straps
https://www.boatoutfitters.com/cut-to-size-dolphin-gray-king-starboard

·
$5 shower
76 Posts
Below is the flip hatch fitting Zach B mentions. It was the end result of trying to find a better way. I was struggling with using hardware with webbing. Zach S brought in our favorite solutions guy, Earl Wiggert(sp?), and this is what he came up with. This eventually led to other precision machined innovations such rod holder mounts and Bimini mounts.

Ron,

Will that fitting allow for one to pull the hatch completely off for use as a table?

Flaco

·
$5 shower
76 Posts

Ron,

Will that fitting allow for one to pull the hatch completely off for use as a table?

Flaco

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Flaco,

Not practically but I can see value in having such a flip hatch fitting featuring a quick release mechanism. Unfortunately, a quick release would no doubt stick up and not be flush with the deck. Part of the "gotta be a better way" thought process included eliminating cam buckles and straps which likewise cluttered the appeal of a flush clean deck.

I'm sorting though "ideas" right now as I write this for the ideal hinging quick release but all visualizations are failing on one or more criteria, most frequently on the basis of cost, simplicity or flexibility.

Perhaps for a table that must be removed and installed daily on a multi-day trip best to go with something as simple as a cam strap which always passes the cost, simplicity and flexibility tests.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
$5 shower
76 Posts
Flaco,

Perhaps a piano hinge with removable pin but that would likely require half the hinge to bolted to the cross bar.

Down River already has hatches with such hinges but they are not "removable". Adding a layer of complexity on top of complexity might make it removable.

https://d20gdy1q9848h5.cloudfront.net/DownRiverEquipment/product_photos/rd_images/rd_Down-River-Equipment-Aluminum-Hinged-Frame-Hatch-Open.jpg
I'm imagining a hinge with the same design which could be smoothly opened and closed. I'd like to be able to lift the lid and pull it toward myself and have it come loose. I have access to a 3D printer if I could get a good drawing.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,476 Posts
Im envisioning the take apart hinges they use on a partner stove. Probably want 3. Hinges are solid until opened all the way at which point they slide apart. It would require one end be screwed/ bolted to the frame. That said, I think one of the biggest benefits of having a deck like that is being able to sleep on it. If its a table, you are hosed.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Nothing more pleasant than keeping the juices flowing, in this case, cerebral.

The "hinged deck" addresses the needs of day trips for quick access storage space beneath front bay seating. To fit it into the context of multi-day removable, sleep-on-boat considerations is as ZB says, a problem.

Frankly, it would never fit into my loading considerations which is usually multi-day. To be confined by a firm divider/passenger seats in a bay is a waste of space. Better to pile it up and pinch it down. But I rarely and prefer not to deal with passengers (and if she doesn't want to kayak, deal with it).

So, in the broader consideration, a removable flush deck is for benefit of passengers.

I'll leave it at that for friendly response(well except for her(kayak! You have a better roll than I do or most do!)).:)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
OK, ok. From her, the response is, I'll be only one night in the boat barn with less than two cats. One cat is still considering what I said as acceptable. The third cat says, not acceptable.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Im envisioning the take apart hinges they use on a partner stove. Probably want 3. Hinges are solid until opened all the way at which point they slide apart. It would require one end be screwed/ bolted to the frame. That said, I think one of the biggest benefits of having a deck like that is being able to sleep on it. If its a table, you are hosed.
Sounds like the take apart hinge is the right idea. Most tables have frames that recess down between the frame members. The below hinge cannot slide apart until the frame of the table completely clears the boat frame. Then you can move the table laterally and separate the hinge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Poly deck

I’m a day or two late for you with this but thought I’d chime in with the supplier below. I bought a 64”x 20” piece of 1/2” Poly deck from them for $105. Great service and speedy delivery. I put a seat mount for a padded flip seat for a single to ride/fish off of. I remove it for two to sit and fish.
Good luck with your project.

Matt

https://www.professionalplastics.co..._medium=email&utm_campaign=Order Confirmation

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Flip (table) hatches have a failure mode that has not been adequately addressed, that is, when the boat is flipped.

Much of the idea of an elegant hinge mechanism was to eliminate the need for cam straps which were much slower when opening or rigging and less tidy for passengers sitting on the hatch(literally, a pain on the ass). Also, hardware hinges tend to immobilize the shifting of an hatch that is improperly secured by cam straps.

While the hardware hinge addresses optimizes the attachment of a flip hatch on one side I feel inadequate attention has been discussed concerning securing the other side of the hatch to tend to the flipped boat scenario.

Integrating a carry handle such as below attached to the table if properly done could serve the purpose of facilitating table transport and be incorporated into a hatch latch mechanism that in a simplest form would be a short cam strap through the handle and around the cross bar.

The below handle is mostly intended to facilitate discussion. I can easily visualize better designs for our intended purpose.

·
Sponsoring Vendors
1,476 Posts
The take apart hinges that partner uses have a "tooth" of sorts that only allows it to come apart at a specific point; all the way open flat for the stove. Those are the ones I'd want so that it wasn't inadvertently sliding off. If you were relying on the recess it would have to be pretty damn tight fitting to keep it from being able to slide a bit (3/4" or whatever the hinge has) and come apart. Last thing you'd want is for the boat to flip and get chunderd a little resulting in the hinges sliding apart and yard saleing all your shit in the hatch. Every time I make stuff that fits super tight on a raft I end up regretting it for one reason or another.

Edited to add: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0759YNNZK?tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=osi&th=1&psc=1

1 - 20 of 29 Posts