Mountain Buzz banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Colorado Governer Polis has issued an order that no Coloradan be allowed to recreate beyond ten miles from their house until May 27. This effectively shuts the river season down for the state. Except for those who have a river nearby.

Thoughts? Please keep petty politics out of this. Please keep ideas productive. If this gets out of hand, Moderator please nuke it.

·
Registered
503 Posts
How do you keep politics out of a thread discussing a controversial order made by a politician? And what Zbaird said...where I'm from, "river season" isn't just the month of May so I wouldn't say river season is shut down. Looks like it's just delayed unless they extend the order.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This thread could get nuked quickly.... I say small crews of your family or housemates. Keep it super low key. Should be fine and able to go outside the 10 miles radius. I have been recreating responsibly and plan to continue within a 150 mile or so radius of my house.

I have heard that law enforcement is more in education mode with the public and isn't likely to ticket.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
POLIS FOR PRESIDENT!!!

Polis is precise with his concerns and presentation. I listen to his every update with total respect unlike moronic presentations out of the White House.

Most importantly, he accepts phone questions be they in "merican" or espainol which are answered in like language immediately.

griz, you are a proven selfish type. Maybe you have someplace in your yard where we can bury the dead, out of kindness of your heart. You have no comprehension of science, medicine or epidemiology; only selfish motives. At least DJT pretends to be compassionate for now.

Please stick to the game plan that has prevented dreadful consequences till now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How do you keep politics out of a thread discussing a controversial order made by a politician?

Good question. Let me clarify why I am looking for thoughts on this. I live in Durango, a relatively small town. I have my own opinion about what impact I might have if I travel an hour or two to do a run alone or say with my wife.

However, others in different communities might have a different perspective on this. I am wondering what the consensus is. And if there is a consensus, what is the most effective solution. Maybe folks in Summit County, welcome this? Maybe they can's stand it. I have no idea.

·
Registered
70 Posts
That part of the order says: "Travel for recreational purposes should be limited to your own community like your county of residence or traveling no more than about ten miles". Not exactly how I want to live my life, but at this point if limiting our interactions and recreational travel for another month will help keep the infection load small enough we don't have to go into stay at home again I'm fine with it. I'd much prefer to knock this thing down enough to have as close to a normal summer as possible- if that takes another month, so be it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's guidance, not an order. If your local LE chooses to make an issue of it, that's their call.

https://covid19.colorado.gov/safer-at-home

Thanks for the link. That is helpful. This is the kind of dialogue I was hoping for. In the link you sent, under "Local and personal recreation" there is this: "Outdoor recreation must be within one’s community and/or no further than 10 miles from residence." That to me seems more than guidance. Also, our paper (I know...) is reporting it as a "safer-at-home order." Again, simply seeking clarification and insight.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
Hopefully an unintended benefit of staying inside is that we'll starve mosquitos into extinction. Wouldn't that would make the frustration and economic ruin worth it all?

·
Registered
995 Posts
If everyone keeps this up for another 3-4 weeks there is a good chance things will mellow out and we will be able to get on with our lives again, in time to enjoy a nearly full river season no less.

I have the patience to wait one more month in exchange for not having everything release and we get a spike that sets us back 6 months. There are still alot of people out ignoring the stay close to home orders, and they are a bit more flippant about their risk management, a bad combination that puts smaller communities at significant risk.

Either Corvid is a hoax or social distancing, stay close to home orders, and other BMP's are working, I'm going with the latter. I have instructed my own family to stay the fuck at home (Denver), and they get it.

Yes I happen to live where people want to go recreate, but we all make our choices to live where we do, and thus accept what comes with those choices.

Just stay the fuck at home (wherever you are) for a couple more weeks and we will get through this. I pledge to do the same.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Sources, please. Perhaps this irritates me because I'm an academic, but before starting a discussion make sure it is predicated on accurate information. If it is, one should properly cite their sources so as to create a constructive dialogue not based on speculation or vague interpretation. If it isn't, one should pursue further inquiry before making a blanket statement.

Can we just have one COVID thread, please?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sources, please. Perhaps this irritates me because I'm an academic, but before starting a discussion make sure it is predicated on accurate information. If it is, one should properly cite their sources so as to create a constructive dialogue not based on speculation or vague interpretation. If it isn't, one should pursue further inquiry before making a blanket statement.

Can we just have one COVID thread, please?

Point taken. Thanks.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you read your own link and the actual text of the order and the FAQ at the bottom it is an order not guidance.
I agree, it's a friggin' mess. The web site states "Right now, we are in Level 2: Safer at Home. Coloradans are no longer ordered to stay home, but are strongly advised to stay at home.", and the EO says something different. I say be smart, don't impact other communities, and have fun.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Maybe there would be a greater possibility of recreating when people stop admitting on public websites that they break the law, or publicly admitting to actively plan to break the law, or all out getting caught breaking the law, or instead, OMG, not breaking the law.

It's the same on all website forums. Rafting, Climbing, Hiking 14'ers, Fishing, Jeeping, 4-Wheeling, Hunting, etc, etc, etc ... It's not a rafting thing, it's an American thing.

It's our human nature to want to be free and at liberty to do what we want to do, whenever we want to do it, and just in case we might want to do it.

Then, there's this virus. Not down by any counts. It may have teeth. And if it does, we may be backing it into a corner that's full of an aging and generally weak population.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ran Radium to State Bridge yesterday There were a multitude of folks on the river, fishing, camping and just running. Rancho had at least 8 boats pulled up as we drifted by in the rain.

Pollis can say what he wants, gonna run rivers regardless.

Planning to follow through on mid June Deso trip as well. Rangers in Price said they won't be stopping anyone with a permit.

Rivers are gonna come up this week with the early heat. Summit county snow looks really good for late April!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Look we love our friends that come to Salida and enjoy our river, heck that is how I ended up here 30 years ago. Please give us a minute, the Ark typically won't get going until June and the flow program will keep it going until August 15th. We have one shot at this, if COVID spikes again summer we will be shut down and the economic carnage will echo for years. Please just give us a bit of space.

Thanks,
P.T. Wood
Mayor, Salida CO.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.