Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Evan, that's one of the best trip reports I've read lately - great job. However, after reading it I thought, I really need to hear the Leif side of the story now to finish the tale. Sure enough I look on here and he delivered. Good stuff.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sounds like a trip you'd better make in your 20's. Wish I was paddling in my 20's... Entertaining stuff, for sure--great pics. I think I need to learn the technique of the 5 guys who packed their overnight crap while watching the other two guys pack nothing. Guess you get to make your own good and bad choices in all things, including boating. I suppose if the only upshot to a bad choice is a night of cold and misery, no worries... Of course, when you're on a trip with others, one person's bad choice can also become your own, especially in boating, no?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya Christian, git sum! You too Tom! I hope it holds for you/you can get to the put-in. I still want Hellsgate bad. And Marc, I'm thirty, but I was the oldest dude on the trip. It's weird, usually these days I'm the "silver back" as E-Ross likes to say.

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
Ha, silverback. My cousin whose got a good ten years on me is known as the silver fox lately...more cause if his sly moves, gray hair and appetite for younger women....Lets stop this talk of bein old, riverwrangler is one day older than I am and only gettin better with time...like Kanye said...I'ma grown ass kid.

Awesome write up. Lots of great pics too. Looks like a sweet run. Thanks for gettin my stoke back to healthy levels and posting this. You spared this Havanese puppy i found wondering the neighborhood.

·
Registered
192 Posts
older...and sore!

And Marc, I'm thirty, but I was the oldest dude on the trip.
Hey, I'm thirty one!;and I feel like I aged my bones on this trip. Not sure which was worse, sleeping on cold ass rocks and shouldering a sharp Pyranha cockpit, or stuffed in a truck with 4 other dudes for over 30 hours in one weekend. After five days, the sore muscles are finely getting back to normal. I think it's pretty funny that we debated our options (safely) for close to an hour, at what we hoped was the takeout, while the mad-mullet-viking scouted the road;continuing downstream at that point was by far the best decision of all! Thanks for the write-up! Great way to open the 2010 season!

P.S. Casey and Nathan, thanks again! Seeing those boats in the fading sunlight marking the takeout was marvelous! I don't think me nor my safety kit could have survived a long hike out.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Damn, sounds like quite a trip. Thanks for the TRs Evan & Leif. Also, thanks for the sharing the pics Leif. Glad to hear everythign worked out. Now if we could just get more snow and have time magically fast forward to April. Even though it's out of my league, I'm jonesing hard now.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How dare I! Trying to claim Silver Back. I even used it to claim the flattest spot on the rock that night. Kinda presumptuous of me John, my bad. And now I feel better cause I don't feel that old or sore anymore ;) Not sure what the penalty is for claiming silver back when you're not but I guess I owe you an apology and probably a can a of Metamucil or something.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, and Casey and Nathan's take-out miracle will be remembered. Thanks boys. You rock. Seriously. Everybody kinda spoiled the end of the story but I've got a bunch more pictures I'll post with a short (I promise) version of the rest of story next week.

Also, Flowtorch, glad I could spare that puppy from the boot. I'm a good Samaritan, I know. I miss you buddy, when are we going to git the pass?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice job boys, looks like one helluva time you guys had down there. Thanks for filling me in and continuing to live through you guys. I would love to hear this never before heard excuse that Tango had, but I guess it was a saving grace for you guys. Strong work there fellas and I will see you all in May!

·
addict
739 Posts
paulie, you euro cocksucker, i'll give you my reasons for bailing.

it was snowing, albeit lightly, at the put-in.
it was already the afternoon.
i would have been the 8th person in the crew, and after running big south & upper jondachi with huge gangs this past year i am not super stoked on crowded creeking missions, especially when no one in the crew had been on this creek before.
and lack of sleep while riding 5 deep in the truck the night before wasn't helping me want to put-in.

all in all i was getting a bad vibe. if it had just been 1 or 2 of these factors i would have gladly put-in for some suffering and groveling, but i was thinking big crew, cold weather, 2nd D, no sleep.

i figured if it was really just 5 or 6 mile run, as was speculated, we would have plenty of time for agua fria or something cool the next day. but if i hadn't driven ben's truck to the take-out we definitely weren't doing shit the next day.

i was a little bummed not to get on any AZ classics, but definitely no regrets about skipping Pollack Creek.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
24-48 hours ready for you to waste your morning reading my drivel or at least just checking out some more pics from AZ Boofington Heights

Tom, Christian, what's the update. Did you get some Tonto???

·
Registered
986 Posts
Got hellsgate, it was low and very cold at night. 1st day sucked, but days 2 + 3 were fun only did 4 portages (with one being around the last gorge, it must be real low to run that). There is still a ton of snow up there, we didn't get the warm enough temps to do christopher in (we waited until 3 to put on hoping it would come up). All in all yet again it was the shit, I didn't remember all of those gorges (there are way more than the 6 we remembered). I'll post pics once I get my computer up and running.
-Tom

1 - 20 of 20 Posts