Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have the NRS Mambas, they keep my hands plenty warm, but are tricky to get in and out of. The cuff is a little small for my drysuit.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Bomber Gear pogies are still my favorite. 3 reasons:
- easy in and out (critical if you're paddling whitewater)
- double velcro seal so they don't come off in violent conditions or if you misplace your paddle (big problem with IR pogies)
- sub-screen lament helps to keep them from getting water logged and therefore warmer (minor benefit I think)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm with Kevin. I have had a couple different kinds of pogies. Including the NRS ones and the Bomber Gear ones are by far my favorite. it is truly impressive how tight they fit to the paddle and they seem to be the easiest to get in and out of quickly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'll add that the snap dragon pogies are literally the only ones that I can fit my hands into, and I'm only about 6' tall.

I couldn't find them in stores once after I lost one and needed to buy a new set, so I bought the largest ones I could find in the store, which were the IR pogies. They seemed like they would work in the store, but I couldn't get my hands into them on the river when they were wet. I've tried the bomber gear ones, too, and had the same problem. I don't know if I have abnormally large hands (I don't think so), but I think size is really only important factor with pogies because they are all made with neoprene and velcro as far as I'm aware.

And if you think about it, they mainly work just by limiting evaporative cooling by keeping the wind off of your hands.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Bomber.

I second Kevin et. al. on the Bomber Gear. My hands were kept warmer than I thought they'd be this day. I was actually rather comfortable.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
And if you think about it, they mainly work just by limiting evaporative cooling by keeping the wind off of your hands.
I notice on mine that they act like a mitten in that your fingers are in contact and I also warm the paddle shaft which holds a bit of heat for thermal inertia.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The Bomber Gear ones are good, but I don't think they are any easier to get in and out of than the Snap Dragon Hyper Hands. I've never had them ripped off my paddles, and they are made from hypalon, not neoprene. Between the two, I'd say go with whichever is easier for you get. Unless you are like Mike that is, and the Bomber Gear ones don't fit your hands.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Another vote for Bomber Gear... I've had lots of poggies over the years. Rickter gave me some years ago, and they have been great! I've even sold quite a few to other boaters around the world because they liked them so much. I took 10 pairs to Chile, and they were gone after a few days. They are nicely padded and really keep the water off while keeping them warm as well!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts