Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would guess you won't get too many responses, which is a direct indication of the challenge you face as head of marketing at BOC: overcoming old stigmas. :x

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
BOC

I used to shop at BOC alot because Boulder doesn't really have any other paddle shops. However, two out of the last three times I have been in, I have been over charged for sale items. It's not a huge deal and they were always quick to fix it, but its still an inconvenience. To be perfectly honest, it has made me really wary of shopping at the BOC. De la Boot is also right on with the old stigmas - you will probably have your work cut out for you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
New Kayaker

This winter the g-f and I went boat shopping. We went to ALL the Kayak shops from BV to the Fort and everwhere inbetween...

Did alot of research online like everyone today does even found some useful info on this forum, thanks people!!!

Went To BOC and had a very good experience with a couple of the sales people there. Found some posts of used gear there and saw the post about the gear swap there.
Went to it, Well the good experience ended there.
I asked a sales person about some foam they had posted here that was being givin away was told they didnt have any, asked an other person and he went to the back and got me said foam, Asked about a drytop they had on their website and was told they were sold out and wernt getting any in, another sales person found me one. Got some used float bags out a box with a price on it and was told at the counter the price was per bag even though the box said per set which was the same price as a new set I went and got the box and was givin the price on the box. needless to say I wasnt that pleased with my shopping experience that day but wrote it off to being a gear swap rush day but that is not an excuse for poor customer service.

Well a couple of weeks ago I called BOC and asked if they still had some used float bags, as the g-f found a boat at the Miser boat swap and was told yes, I asked if they were still for sale at the gear swap price and was told yes I asked if I could come get them and was told sure. After Driving up to Boulder I walk in and was told they didnt have any bags for sale, Well I pushed the issue and noone there knew who talked to me and it was basicly implied that I was making it up. So with other customers in the store I figured what do I have to lose so I started to make my displeasure known alittle loudly. Well the sales person found the box with the bags in it but tried to charge me 20.00 per bag instead of the per set price I paid and when I told him what I paid he told me I couldnt have, that the bags cost the store more than that. these were used floats with 2003 written on them and I don't care what they cost the store... when a customer is told a price that is the price the item is to be sold at I have worked in retail over 25 years and that is the way things are done.
I ended up paying 22.00 dollars for the set and that was after I told the sales person that is the price I found new ones for online.

I for one WILL NEVER AGAIN shop at BOC for anything!!!!

·
Spits Hot Fire
978 Posts
I gotta say, I've had problems with the staff there at BOC as well. Then again, theres barely any shops you go into in Boulder where you dont have to deal with elitist shop snobs. Save the attitude, nobodys impressed. If this isn't you I'm talkin about, then you might wanna give your fellow coworker bro-heads a good talkin to.....even the chic behind the counter had an attitude.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hmm.. I've never been to BOC, but I just got a job in Boulder so I figured I'd check it out. This thread isn't really encouraging me to do so. Perhaps opening yourself up to everyones complaints on a public forum isn't the best way to get new customers. Just a thought. I'm sure I'll get over it and check it out anyways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I appreciate all your honest opions. As one reader noted, maybe this wasn't the best public forum to be asking or discussing this. But as a fellow athlete I know that "word of mouth" is one of our main forums for discussing gear and current events. Whether the opinion is negative or postive doesn't concern me - I just want to know what people are thinking about it because these comments explain a lot and without them, how can there be a push for change and better standards.

Please don't be shy about your comments, be truthful. Thanks again, M.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If I were your boss, I would not be particularly happy about you collecting feedback in this way, especially without checking in with me. The danger is that you set up a "vent about BOC" thread which turns off other potential customers who have never visited the place. And people who have had mildly pleasant experiences will not be as driven to post as those who have had very negative experiences.

If you want to be the best in customer service, take a trip over to McGuckin's and observe what they do. University Bikes apparently decided, some years ago, to adopt this very customer-friendly attitude, and they have survived when a lot of Boulder bike shops have closed down. McGuckin's will survive even when Home Depot opens down the street, because of this superior knowledge and service.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The few times I've been in there I've had to deal with the "elitist shop snob" as well. And everytime it's been someone different working, same attitude though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To put in a good note. I went in to the BOC during your gear swap and bought a new boat. I was donating my old boat at the time, so I was able to get the gift certificate for a bit. I found that the staff was really helpful, at least one of the staff was new, but still did a good job at helping me out. When I got home that evening I realized that the bulkhead was not there, so I went back a couple of days later, and the staff pulled one out for me, no questions asked.

The only thing that didn't go great was that the way the boat donation worked did not make the most sense to me. It seemed like the web site implied one thing, but wasn't completely accurate. The overall experience was good for me though.

·
Registered
142 Posts
alex said:
If I were your boss, I would not be particularly happy about you collecting feedback in this way, especially without checking in with me. The danger is that you set up a "vent about BOC" thread which turns off other potential customers who have never visited the place.
alex said:
I respectfully disagree. If I were your boss, I would admire your initiative. While true, those with extreme experiences would be more likely to post, that's what you want. Customer surveys are common, and though this type of survey is very uncontrolled, it appears that honest feedback is what you're getting.

You're already getting a common theme..."shop snobs". This is huge. I've never been to your shop, but I can tell you that I immediately feel inferior and intimidated when I encounter these types. I will rarely buy from them because I am too intimitated to ask questions that may or may not appear dumb to the too cool, experienced (or not), shop snob. This is true in every type of sports retail, skiing, biking, etc.

Having never been in your shop, I would venture in if in the area. Your informal survey makes me think that customer service is a priority and if it was poor in the past, you are looking to remedy that. I'd at least give you a shot.

In my way too many years as a consumer and a business person, customer service comes down to one thing, helping people as you would like to be helped. That means taking on a customer's problem as if it were your own. If your salespeople can't do that, they need to work in a cubicile somewhere else. Customer service keeps em coming back. Studies show that customer service more often than not, wins out over pricing.

Just my two cents. (Or maybe 4, sorry :) )

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would say that I have had both good and bad service, the thing that allways irked me about BOC is that you go to the swaps and various sales and for instance a year ago I went to the winter clearance spring swap to check out your winter rental gear, BOC was selling the avy beacon rental fleet for full retail price, that was supposed to be a deal? buying a used rental beacon for the same price as a new one elsewhere? I've had a lot of similar gear issues, however I will say that any/all leasons that I have taken there have been excellent.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in Boulder but I do a lot of on-line ordering or shopping while elsewhere kayaking -- or if in Boulder, I go to the other shop - the in-stock selection is less, but they are more welcoming and very helpful - they have messed up an order on a paddle and the owner apologized and gave us a deal on it to make up for it. I feel much more welcomed at that shop -- its just more down-to-earth, they quickly learned my name... BOC is okay, I haven't had problems with them, but they are sterile more than anything I think.

I did take a class through BOC about 5 years ago and it was well-run with good atmosphere overall, but it was tacky that instructors hooked up with their students during the 3-day class. Just for that I would recommend a different, more professional school.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've been buying boating gear at boc for past 10 years. I've always had a positive experience. Theie boats for kids program is the best way i know of for getting a good deduction off the price of a new boat. Donate an old worthless boat, like a mr. clean to the program and they give you something like $200 dollars in store credit. Plus the boat goes to a good cause, possibly helping kids get into boating that otherwise wouldln't get a chance because of the start up costs. I don't know about everyone who has worked there, but i haven't run into any employees exhibiting the elitist snobbery mentioned. Eric, the owner, certainly doesn't fit into that catagory.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, I guess you got more responses than I thought, although I'm not surprised that most of them are negative.

Although I have to agree with others that the training classes are pretty good and fun. Funny that Suze mentioned it because I too remember an intructor hooking up with a student about 5 years ago, although at the time it was the student who was hot for the teacher. Nice 8)

·
Super Moderator
2,843 Posts
I have always had positive experiences with the BOC. The one thing that would be helpful (though I understand difficult) would be getting help that you could enncourage (compensate) to stick around for a little longer. I rarely recognize the face behind the counter.

·
Registered
619 Posts
GE posted that the BOC accepts boat donations and gives in-store credit. Is this still going on? I have a couple boats that need to be donated. This sounds like a plus for BOC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, we do offer store credits with boat donations. The boats are then passed down tokids who do our classes; they get to use them for their first year of learning to encourge them to get into the sport, then if they decide to stick with it, they get to keep the boat. Feel free to give Eric a call @ the shop, he'd be happy to give an idea on numbers and such. Thanks for your inquiry. Thanks, Malia

·
Registered
123 Posts
BOC

My opinion is the "elitist, snobbish attitude" should not be a problem any more- the one who I think is being referred to is no longer at the shop.

the boating for kids boat donation program is great, though I found it confusing.

I have had great experiences in BOC classes- I got my roll finally after trying for 5 years unsuccessfully!!!

I found that it depends on who you talk to and what day it is with regards to attitudes encountered at the shop. There have been days where people there have been very friendly and helpful, and there have been days that people seem to be grumpy and rude. It depends on the day.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I had many great experiences when the BOC was in the OLD shop near Pearl and the Foothills Pkwy. The selection was better then and the customer service was wonderful. Whne they moved some new blood came in and the place went down hill. I will still go in occassionally and find the prices are high in relation to others which I would still pay if the customer care was even present. One last topic is the selection on most everything is extremely limited. Bottom line is if you could change out all of the "bad customer care givers" and start from ground zero it is possible to sell overpriced gear with a poor selection. Start there.

Matt Booth

·
Registered
67 Posts
My girlfriend and I took your classes last year when we starting out and were very impressed with your instructors and always had a good experience when we went into the shop. But we wound up buying a boat from another store because BOC didn't carry the boats we wanted. I realize it's hard and not very efficient but you should look into expanding your boat selection. It might be just my observed impression and not reality but I think the other Front Range stores carry far more boats.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts