Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finishing a paper on effects of whitewater parks on fish and I need to finalize this info. I've been looking all over for documentation of existing/planned/proposed whitewater parks, both in 'real' river channels and in artificial channels.
I'd greatly appreciate your additions to this list and also corrections if any of my info is incorrect. United States only. Post here or email [email protected]
Thank you, Claire McGrath

PARKS IN NATURAL RIVER CHANNELS:
Existing:
1. Animas River, Durango, CO
2. Arkansas River, Salida, CO
3. Arkansas River, Buena Vista, CO
4. Boulder Creek, Boulder, CO
5. Fall River, Estes Park, CO
6. Clear Creek, Golden, CO
7. Gore Creek, Vail, CO
8. Saint Vrain River, Lyons, CO
9. Blue River, Breckenridge, CO
10. Yampa River, Steamboat Springs, CO
11. Gunnison River, Gunnison, CO
12. S. Platte River, Denver, CO
13. S. Platte River, Englewood, CO
14. Red Cedar River, Williamston, MI
15. Truckee River, Reno, NV
16. Animas River, Farmington, NM
17. Ocoee River, TN
18. Trinity River, Fort Worth, TX
19. Weber River, Ogden, UT
20. Wisconsin River, Wasau, WI
21. Green River, Green River, WY
22. N. Platte River, Casper, WY
Planned:
1. Black River, Watertown, NY
2. Raleigh, NC
3. Bear River, Evanston, WY
Proposed:
1. Colorado River, Glenwood Springs, CO
2. Boise River, Boise, ID
3. French Broad River, Asheville, NC
4. Cross Creek, Fayetteville, NC
5. Tuckasegee River, Bryson City, NC
6. Stonycreek River, Johnstown, PA

ARTIFICIAL CHANNEL WHITEWATER COURSES:
Existing:
1. East Race St. Joseph River, South Bend, IN
2. Lock 32 Erie Canal, Pittsford, NY
Planned:
1. Adventure Sports Center International, McHenry, MD
2. National Whitewater Center, Charlotte, NC
Proposed:
1. Arkansas Whitewater Park, _____, AR
2. Susquehanna River, Havre de Grace, MD
3. Mississippi River, Minneapolis, MN

Anyone know the status of these:
Kern River, Kernville, CA - improvements to the slalom course in town, was this done?
Clark's Fork River, Missoula, MT - anyone know the status?
Pueblo, CO - downstream of lowhead dam downtown. STatus?

On Susquehanna Site as proposed or planned but I couldn’t find any current information:
Wisp, MD
Cumberland, MD
Williamsport, PA
St. Louis, MO
Inglis, FL
Prairie Du Sac White Water Park, WI
Peoria, Illinois
Cedar Rapids
Des Moines River, Des Moines, IA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Missoula WW Park

There is a planned whitewater located in downtown missoula, Montana. This park will be known as the Brennan Guth Memorial Park on the Clarks Fork River just downstream of the Higgins Street bridge. The site selected will clean existed rebar and concrete out of the riverbed, and transform the spot into a palypark with existing riverside trails. Final funds are being raised this summer, and the groundbreaking on the project is planned for low flows this coming early fall timeframe. for more information, contact Tarkio Kayak Adventures at www.teamtarkio.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
New England Parks

Claire,
There are a few parks in the NE that come to my mind. You got the Black aleady but there are a few smaller ones that me be noteworthy.

The Winnipesaukee river in Franklin NH. They are building a park at the takeout and maintaining a trail along the river.

The Contoocook river in Henniker NH. They are removing a dam and building a park on a old mill site.

The MVP (mvpclub.org) or AW should give you some leads or shoot me an email and I can give you some contacts that could help.

Ken

PS You missed a fun but hypothermic time at the Golden rodeo last night

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: New England Parks

kglaeser said:
Claire,
There are a few parks in the NE that come to my mind. You got the Black aleady but there are a few smaller ones that me be noteworthy.

Ken

PS You missed a fun but hypothermic time at the Golden rodeo last night
Thanks Ken. I was just about to post on the northeast paddlers board to ask, so thanks for the NE info. My paddling days are limited right now with finishing up my degree, so I decided to forgo the sleet and hit a nicer day at the park. Glad you had fun!

thanks everyone else for the info, and keep it coming. I just talked with a kayaking professor of recreation (nice job eh?) at U. Kentucky and we may put a list of info on all wwparks up on the web.... i'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Claire sounds like an interesting project. If you dont mind sharing your findings when the project is finished I'd be siked to check out your final documentation (or maybe/probably just the overview). Good luck and congrats on finishing your degree!

·
Registered
163 Posts
When I left Michigan they had 4 or 5 weirs on the Chippewa River in Mt. Pleasant with kayaking in mind. Never saw it waith water though.

Mike

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Meng said:
Claire sounds like an interesting project. If you dont mind sharing your findings when the project is finished !

Sure Chris, I'll put you on my list to send a reprint to.

Ken, after getting more info on those NH sites, they don't count. I should have been more clear... - I'm only looking for sites where there is instream modification of the river channel such as drop structures placed for recreation purposes... not just boat ramps, put/in takeout improvements.

thx all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mescalimick said:
When I left Michigan they had 4 or 5 weirs on the Chippewa River in Mt. Pleasant with kayaking in mind. Never saw it waith water though.

Mike
thanks for this info. From the AW page it looks like the weirs were primarily placed to protect aquatic biota from ive sedimentation after removal of a small dam, but that boater input for weir placement and design was considered to make the weirs good for kayaking. That's really interesting - I'll include it in my list as a special case - not principally built as a whitewater park, but still relevant. Nice.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Todd said:
I am under the impression that the Gateway Park proposal on the Roaring Fork at Carbondale, CO was passed by voters. Doesn't that include whitewater features - anyone?
funny I had forgotten this .... I originally got involved studying this subject when i did a fisheries study related to the Carbondale wwp. I'm not sure of the status, I'll ask Gary Lacy and co.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is a new water park in Pueblo CO. that was actually designed as a fish ladder. This feature inludes 8 drops totalling 11 feet. It replaced a low-head dam that prevented fish from traveling upriver. This project is nearly complete as part of an 8 million dollar habitat restoration project. It was overseen through the Corps of Engineers Albequerque district.Gary Lacey was the designer of this part of the project.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm pretty sure there is a park in the planning stages on the Spokane River in Spokane, WA. I should say that I'm pretty sure some people in Spokane are dreaming of a ww park; I don't really know if it's anywhere close to the planning stage--but I'm hoping!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Adventure Sports Center International

Claire-
You've got Wisp, Maryland on your list of proposed sites that you couldn't find info on. Wisp is actually the ski resort located there near McHenry & Deep Creek Lake. The Adventure Sports Center International will be (to the best of my knowledge) either at the top of the ski hill or on the premesis close by. Either way, they're the same entity. Can't wait for it to be completed next year though.

Mark

·
Registered
132 Posts
Proposed: Silverthorne, CO

·
Registered
117 Posts
Flipover- Is that true? I am from Lawrence and always thought the Kaw would make a great place for a whitewater park right underneath the bridge near downtown. I saw it at over 100,000 cfs a few years ago and it looked insane coming over the dam. Twenty foot High terminal hydraulic. Are you even talking about the Kaw or would it be on the Wakarusa? Let me know if there is anyway I could help.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts