Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I need to ask you one more huge favor in regards to saving the Ashlu River. Please take 2 minutes and act immediately after reading this with a BREIF letter stating your opposition to the Micro Hydro Project on this special river. THIS IS WORKING, WE NEED TO CONTINUE THE EFFORT!!! This has to happen by Jan. 5th.

To make this as easy as possible, here you go: (please include your name and address)

Cut and Paste these addresses: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Cut and Paste this into the subject: Oppose the IPP on the Ashlu River

If you have been to the Ashlu River here is a message you can cut and Paste:
I have spent time enjoying the resources of the Ashlu River in their natural state, and oppose the micro hydro project proposed for this river. Please reject this project.

If you haven’t been there, you can use this message:
While I have never been to the Ashlu River, I have read about this destination and heard of its beauty from friends who spend time there. I would someday like to travel to this region to enjoy such a place, especially if it remains in its natural state. Therefore I oppose the micro hydro project proposed for this river. Please reject this project.

Or even better, write a brief statement telling where you are from, that you oppose the IPP on the Ashlu River, and that you would enjoy seeing this special place protected. Include you address and name.

Thank you!

If you want some background or further details, read on:

The lastest news goes like this. On Nov. 17th the SLRD (Squamish-Lilloeet Regional District) had the “last meeting” for comment. Myself and another friend drove up to British Columbia to attend the meeting and show our opposition. The meeting was standing room only with about 300 people. At the meeting they stated that they had received approx. 100 letters on the project with 80 in opposition, about 50 of those being kayakers, and around 30 being from the States. The meeting saw over 100 people speak their mind with at least 60% opposing the project. They said they would vote on the project on December 17th. Well, on Dec. 16th,the Minister of Sustainable Development, George Abbott hijacked the Ashlu IPP vote. Basically read this as the Provincial Government getting paid to try and push this through the local government. This entire project has been the story of a big, multi-national businesses privatizing utilities by coming into small communities, buying out everyone they can and creating studies and science that backs their claims. Now there is “suddenly new information that should be considered”, so the provincial government made the SLRD postpone their vote. Supposedly they were about to vote in opposition due to the majority of citizens being against the project. Therefore they are accepting written comments until Jan. 5th, with a “new final meeting” Jan. 10th, and a vote on Jan. 11th.

This project is being touted as a “green, sustainable project.” True, micro hydro is sustainable. But green??? First of all, the Ashlu, is truly a special river with grizzly and salmon habitat that deserves protection not exploitation. Second, I have seen the very same project happen on a river just to the north of the Ashlu (the Rutherford). It entails, the creation of a 4 lane dirt road built so machines can get up there, a 10 foot high damn, that will make a reservoir bigger than a football field, Tons of blasting and dirt moving to build the road and the diversion pipe, that will certainly end up in the river. This will drastically cool the valley (it’s a glacial flowing river) adding to micro climate warming, a cause of global warming. I could go on an on. This is not a green project.

I am going to stop here. If you want more info on this project, email me or check the links at the bottom. But please write a brief letter. Thanks.

Shane Robinson
206-465-4740

More info: http://www.ashluriver.ca/index.cfm

A local news article: http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/pique/index.php?content=ashlu+IPP+thrid+hearing+1152

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello everyone:

An important update on the proposed Ashlu Power Project

The SLRD Board meeting on Dec 17 was to be the
end of the long and controversial battle over the fate
of Ashlu Creek, however - this issue drags on...

The SLRD staff report was clear in its unequivocal
recommendation that the projects rezoning should
be denied.

You can view the staff report here:
http://www.ashluriver.ca/Documents/Ashlu_Report_&_Bylaw.pdf

It remains to be seen how the SLRD Board would have
voted. Why?

Despite clear policies that the SLRD Board can not
receive new information regarding a project after the
close of the Public Hearing on the matter, the Minister
of Sustainable Resource Management, George Abbott,
personally called, and faxed the SLRD a letter the day
prior to the decision, and essentially forced the SLRD
board to receive new information.

According to the SLRD's own policies they are required
to allow the public to review this information, and to have
an opportunity to comment. This is a legal requirement.

This forced the SLRD to go to yet another Public Hearing
on this matter - an unheard of occurrence (note that the second
public hearing was also forced by the provincial government
when they provided new information to the SLRD the day of
the first public hearing).

The SLRD Board was not at all appreciative of this - which
appears to be a clear attempt to stall the SLRD decision, and
further, to influence that decision in the favour of the province
(who has pushed to have this project approved despite ongoing
concerns being expressed on a number of fronts).

The next Public Hearing (and hopefully the final one) will be held

January 10 - 7:00 PM

Sea to Sky Hotel, Squamish BC

This will be the final meeting on this matter, as the SLRD is going
to vote the next morning, January 11, on this matter.

I know this has been a ridiculous burden to everyone who has
concerns about the project, but I am again asking that you make
an effort to attend this meeting.

As with the last Public Hearing it is important that people stand
up and speak up against the project. At this point there may not
be anything earth shattering to say, or anything that has not been
said before, but it is critical that the voice of opposition not be worn
down by the process - which is certainly a key concern, and no doubt
a part of the strategy for getting project approved despite the numerous
outstanding concerns.

Please attend this meeting and put forward your concerns.

Sincerely

Stuart

Stuart Smith
WKABC River Projects Coordinator

PO Box 5537
Squamish, BC
V0N 3G0
Phone/Fax: (604) 815-4113
E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for the post Shane.

All, written comments are accepted through Wednesday, just two days away! Please everyone take a moment to read Shane's post and do what you feel is right, whether you have been there or not.

Some background info is available here:
http://www.ashluriver.ca/index.cfm

·
Registered
805 Posts
Everyone who has ever cared for a sacred river - step up! This is your time to take action. Here is a copy of a letter I just sent to the appropiate heads above. I took some of Shane's words and tweaked them a little bit to my own needs. Feel free to copy what I've got and change the name.

My name is Evan Stafford and I am an avid whitewater kayaker living in Colorado. Exploring and kayaking in Canada has been a dream of mine for some time now. While I have never been to the Ashlu River, I have read about this destination and heard of its stunning beauty and amazing whitewater from friends who've spent time there. I would someday like to travel to this region to enjoy such a place, especially if it remains in its natural state. Therefore I oppose the micro hydro project proposed for this river. Please reject this project.

This project is being touted as a “green, sustainable project.” True, micro hydro is sustainable. But green??? First of all, I have heard that the Ashlu is a truly special river with grizzly and salmon habitat that deserves protection not exploitation. Second, I have heard that a similar project has been created on a river just to the north of the Ashlu (the Rutherford). From my understanding this project will entail, the creation of a four lane dirt road, built so that machines can get into the drainage, a 10 foot high dam, that will make a reservoir bigger than a football field, and tons of blasting and dirt moving to build the road and the diversion pipe, for which most of the remains will likely end up in the river. These changes to the river system will drastically cool the valley (it’s a glacial flowing river), which will in turn add to micro climate warming, a proven cause of global warming.

Lastly, this river has an astoundingly high recreation value. I live in Colorado and I have no less five paddling partners who have kayaked the Ashlu, all of whom have brought inspirational stories of adventure and intrigue home. Not to mention the two recent professional kayaking video segments featuring runs in the Ashlu drainage. I could go on an on but I believe this statement has at least outlined the basic reasons for my strong opposition to this project.
Sincerely,
Evan J. Stafford

Go get'em boys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts