Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I ran Pumphouse to State Bridge with my wife and my dad. Several people flipped on the Needle. On Yarmony rapid, at least four boats in a row flipped in front of us. We saw two children swim in serious whitewater and get rescued with throw lines, the youngest was about five years old. We saw one woman who had teeth knocked out and a fairly serious leg wound from flipping in Yarmony. We carried a person and her ducky who lost her paddle to the takeout. We righted a boat lost by another party and reunited it with its crew. We recovered an oar, two paddles, a fishing rod and saw lots of other debris that we were not able to recover. While the Upper C is a great family float at lower levels, please consider your ability level and your passengers before attempting to run it above 5,000 cfs. If you have any question about the current conditions or your ability to run it at this level, please err on the side of caution and consider waiting to run the Upper C until after runoff.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yeah, based on reports I've heard from people who weren't stuck at work all weekend, and reports of lost gear on the buzz, there was pretty much a giant gear yardsale all over the west this weekend. That much lost gear its a wonder we dont have a condolences thread going.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Josh, I totally agree. Many people underestimated the power of these flows. Is one of the paddles you recovered by chance a black kayak paddle with a phone number on each blade?

·
Registered
9 Posts
JessaQ. We found your paddle floating (or one just like it) and dropped it off at the Soggy Dollar at Rancho yesterday 5/26.

·
Registered
356 Posts
On a side note, we will be hosting Intro to Gore work shops all week. Learn to hold your breath and wait for it.

Big Water reminds me of Skiing. None of your city friends ever want to visit when the weather is nice and blue bird, nope they all come when there is three feet of fresh rocking skinny skis.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
my iphone has given me no such warning so we are planning on going. I just spent $200 at target.

The kids have new cotton socks and tee shirts. We bought bullfrog sunscreen and I have new flip flops.

we will be fine.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ran it yesterday in flip-flops with my flip phone in my pocket. My buddy and I flipped a coin to see who got row. I used sunscreen that had a flip-top bottle, flipped the cooler lid open many a time to grab a new beer and had a pretty flippin good time.....even though we didn't flip. YMMV

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Ran it yesterday in flip-flops with my flip phone in my pocket. My buddy and I flipped a coin to see who got row. I used sunscreen that had a flip-top bottle, flipped the cooler lid open many a time to grab a new beer and had a pretty flippin good time.....even though we didn't flip. YMMV
Good reply!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
1 Posts
lost blue 8' carlisle oar

Josh, thanks for the thoughts. it was a wild ride yesterday, nearly didnt make it out alive.....

All told, we made out farly well in the end considering the carnage. A bunch of bumps and bruises. Only lost 1, 8ft blue carlisle oar and a coozie. I cant remember if the oar had any contact info on it - if it did, it was from the previous owner, greg gubits. probably had a torn blue strap on it as well.

If this is the oar your mentioned in your post, I would gladly make the appropriate trade to have it returned. Email at [email protected].

Also, my two cents... I would consider myself a fairly experience paddler - a few years guiding now, and I've never appreciated the cavalier attitude towards the dangers of boating. I dont mean to get on a soapbox, but people die often in rivers - they are a force to be respected and feared. A fact that i was brutally reminded of yesterday. Running rivers is a careful balance between comfort and paranoia, because s*** can get real VERY quick and you have to be ready to fight for your life.

Be careful out there everyone. Only boat to your ability, or else things could go from good to VERY BAD very quickly.

Thanks,

van

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Van,

I'm glad that you and yours are okay. I hope your oar gets back to you but unfortunately, the one we picked up was not a blue Carlisle and I believe we found the rightful owner.

I'm not sure how many inexperienced or moderately experienced boaters check threads on Mountain Buzz, but I just wanted to put up a post warning people that may be unfamiliar with high water factors. Many of the people that we helped or rescued yesterday had a similar refrain- some variation of "... I've run this section before and had no trouble. I can't believe how different it is at high water..."

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
Colorado hasn't had water in 3 years. A bunch of goobers think because they ran some stretch at elf flows a year ago rippin dabz and shootin the bird at the river gods they can do the same now. Yarmony is a big hole, but it's also an easy miss. That other rapid just isn't that bad especially if you have a raft. I don't doubt a bunch of shit went down, but it's still a class III run. It's basic river running and anyone with a PFD, helmet and more than 5 days on moving water should be able to deal with simply. Or you can go big at yarmony but don't be surprised when a big ass hole knocks yo teef out.

No one that needs to hear a warning about "high water" reads whitewater forums.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Also consider what happens in these high flows if anyone hits the water by any sort of mistake or accident..

I was scouting some spots on the ARK in the canyon this weekend, and with flows above 2300 I was surprised by the little kids and dogs that I saw on rafts. I take my dogs a lot, but hitting a rock is easy and throwing a dog into the water at these flows is very bad.

I saw some novice boaters trying to get through Bear Creek and Badger and they shouldn't have been there with their kids and dogs IMHO.

Please take care out there.

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
I'd like to add that those of us in the know should take a more active role persuading the ignorant from doing what we can see are stupid things. As an example, on a recent thread it wasn't until about 10 posts before someone finally told the guy he was making a mistake in heading to Westwater when his river resume topped out at the Upper Colorado at regular flows.

When the pool toy armada shows up at the put in with t-shirts, ski vests, and the kids, be helpful, be kind, suggest alternatives, but be firm and let them know they could be headed for possible disaster. They only want to go and enjoy the river just like us.

I'd prefer not to get into unnecessary rescue situations if I don't have to.

-AH

·
GoBro
1,493 Posts
I'd like to add that those of us in the know should take a more active role persuading the ignorant from doing what we can see are stupid things. As an example, on a recent thread it wasn't until about 10 posts before someone finally told the guy he was making a mistake in heading to Westwater when his river resume topped out at the Upper Colorado at regular flows.

When the pool toy armada shows up at the put in with t-shirts, ski vests, and the kids, be helpful, be kind, suggest alternatives, but be firm and let them know they could be headed for possible disaster. They only want to go and enjoy the river just like us.

I'd prefer not to get into unnecessary rescue situations if I don't have to.

-AH
No one has the right to dictate to others what they can or can't run. You absolutely have the right to not paddle with them and not rescue them and verbalize those choices. Personal responsibility and decision making are critical parts of running whitewater and you can't make decisions for someone else.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts