Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm moving to dallas soon also i know there is sorta play boating dallas but looking for a good crew to boat with in the south of dallas
my e-mail address is [email protected] if you know anybody who boats down there let me know thanks
John

·
Registered
505 Posts
There's good playboatin on the Guadalupe below Canyon dam near New Braunfels, 30 to 45 min from SA, but this year has sucked for rain, and they're only releasing around 200. Hueco springs rapid is great from 2300 to 3500, Common street is good 2000 to 6000, and the hole downstream from fourth crossing is world class at 5000. Right now the best bet is the wave at Rio Vista dam in San Marcos, 45 min from SA, on Thursday after the sun goes, the tubers clear out, and we kick out the lights and install El Tumelo, which changes the wave from so-so, lucky to spin and not flush, to a cartwheelin, splitwheelin, loopable hole. We tried a strobe light last week and it was trippy. Longhorn dam in Austin on the Colorado river is badass 3000 to 5000 but lately they've only been surging 2000 through. If it rains, there's a playpark in Fort Worth, and if it really rains north of SA, the Pedernales has great play from 3000 to 10,000, and 10,000 to 50,000+ is a highwater rollercoaster. Mexican creek, 30 min, has some good play at certain levels, although running the drops like Chingasos, The Big Enchilada, and Shove It is more fun. Unfortunately, its dry right now. Check out www.paddletexas.com or buy Texas Whitewater by Steve Daniel for more info. Good luck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
John,
There are a few of us in Big D. D as in Dry as a bone right now. Rainy season is on it's way though. We head to Arkansas or the Hill Country quite often if anything is running. About 4 hours either way. Follow Deepstroke's advise and tap into paddletexas.com for some local action.
Phil

·
Registered
13 Posts
There's actually a good play wave below the Longhorm dam in Austin (below town lake) just downstream from I-35. I can't remember the flows but think it was driven by water realeasing downstream for ag needs and ran late afternoons early evenings.

There's also a play hole in San Marcos at the Rio Vista Dam (not great but something to play in).

Pick up Texas Whitewater by Steve Daniels. Probably the best book for WW in Texas. In fact, you can have my copy. Theres no way in hell I'm going back down there. I paddle more in a month here than I did in four years down there. Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
WOW, so good to know. I have just been transfered to the Houston area and I have made no plans to take the play boat, might have to re-think. I am not familiar with the state as I have only been twice now but how far from Houston is all of the referenced play spots in previous posts?

·
Registered
5 Posts
get use to low water or the ocean

From San Antonio you will have two options. One is to drive north to the San Marcos River, Guadelupe River, or the various spots in Austin and you will find something to paddle (usually low). These spots are usually best in the winter and since it is Texas it is usually not cold (50-60F). The other option is going down to Padre Island which is just south of Chorpus Christi and surf in the ocean. I went down there once and hit it when they had 10 ft waves!! It was great. Your best bet to find people is to go north to one of the places mentioned above or find out where and when the nearest club meeting take place. I used to live in Dallas and we would either go to the Guadelupe or the Cossatot River in SW Ark (probably too far to drive from SA). Good luck finding water.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Pete, and Val, oh please tell me it ain't so! I lived in Houlston when going to optometry school, and drove to the hill country every weekend in the winter (that's when the water is the best). Depending on where you are in houston, the guad (you will be bored there unless it is high water) will actually take you about 4 hours to get to. At high water there are some great play spots! A little less time to rio vista dam in San Marcos, but that isn't worth it unless it is really cold and the tubers aren't there, and even then it is marginal. Hitting longhorn dam in Austin would be right up your alley, but my connections down there told me that they changed their releases so it may never form again. Bummer!

later,
Jennifer

·
Registered
843 Posts
The wave below longhorn dam is pretty good, but the water quality sucks. My mom lives in houston and my dad lives in Austin. Your best bet is to invest in a boat and a wakeboard. You'll be completely frustrated with the lack of Kayaking opportunities. THe mountain biking in the hill country is awesome so come prepared.

Kent

·
Registered
14 Posts
Don't know when you are going to be here but the surf in Galveston can be sweet in the winter and isn't far depending on where you are in Houston. Be glad to go with you and show you some of the spots. Down at a paddle shop in Clear Lake called Wind Surf and Paddle Sports in Kemah. Other than Hurricane Dennis, it has been a very uneventful paddle season. Very dry. Give the shop a call at 281-538-8889.

Peter

If you really need the adrenaline, try Kite Boarding this fall.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, Jennifer, it is true! I have been transfered with work to Deer Park just South of Houston. We will be there for three years completing a $300 million dollar project. I am looking for all of the positive things in this and attempting to make the best. The info is greatly appreciated and I am trying to get a trip together before I go on Sept. 2nd. Val unfortunately is already down there. Talk to you soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
rio vista

Hey Kiwigirl,
I'm in San Antonio. When the water is low, I surf at rio vista. I usually go on sat morn. Let me know if ya want to meet up. See ya

·
Registered
11 Posts
PaddleTexas.com (link), although unruly at times, their enthusiasm is unrivaled.

If you are more into racing, Red River Racing (link) run by Ben Kvanli is a good place to look.

While on the Paddle Texas page, check out Mexican Creek photos. You would be surprised this is actually in Texas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey

Hi I live about 22 minutes outside of Houston (Tomball) and I've found that the closest place to go is Hildago Falls on the Brazos river, although its very wide and if you take a swim, which is very possible, its gonna be a long ( and cold, as it is best in the winter) swim. Other places are Hueco Springs on the Guad and Longhorn Dam on the San Marcos. For some of the best whitewater in America, try the North Carolina region. They have the Upper Ocoee ('96 Olympic Race site, with one of the neatest and nastiest holes,) they also have the Chattooga. Colorado has some great whitewater as well, Numbers, Frog Run, Royal Gorge, Taos Box, Browns Canyon, and many more.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey one of you named Grover? If so I'm the guy you boated wit during christmas week 2004. i'm looking forward to another vacation in the New Brounfels area over the holidays. Lets go drink some lonestars and talk smack. Marv

·
Registered
274 Posts
While Chupa's right-on about NC whitewater, his post does need a couple of leittle re-directs. The Upper Ocoee's actually in TN, but it is *very close* to the NC border.... and the middle Ocoee's in TN, too! (feel like I have to represent, being here in TN and all) ;)

The Chatooga's in GA-- north GA, but Georgia nonetheless. Section 2, 3, and 4 are all in on the Chatooga right now, BTW... so if anyone's headed east, it should be worth your trip, no matter your skill level (Section 2 = class II whitewater, Section 3 = class III with a IV or two thrown in for good measure, section 4.... it's reputation precedes it!).

NC is a bit dry right now, but the Nantahala and French Broad always seem to run. As for other rivers, NC's got the Pigeon Dries, Raven Fork, the Green, the Catawba, the Santeelah, the Watauga, Horsepature, and everyone's newest favorite, the Cheoah-- and those are just a start! If you're interested in running NC whitewater, though, I'd highly advise picking up a copy of North Carolina Rivers and Creeks, by Leland Davis (http://www.nccreeks.com). We're using it as our Bible down here these days-- yeah, who'd have thought, a bunch of southerners trading in their real Bibles for the whitewater versions instead...?? ;)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Although a lot of people would like to claim the Chatooga as "Georgia's" river. It actually shares the border between GA and South Carolina. I like to think of it as a Georgia river, but you can't take it away from those south cak-a-lakians.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts