Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im 6ft 5", and i kayak a lot. I want to start playboating. Currently i have a habitat 80 which fits me, however i have had to modify the footrest to extend the rails. I have looked across the internet and have found some boats (monstar seems to be a popular option), but i have long legs (36" inside leg) and size 13 feet. I weigh 12 stone so need i boat i can move around. Also i am only 16 so would prefer a boat that i can pad out to have room to grow more. Thanks if you can help :) New to this forum so Hey everyone :D

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yo Stu!

Welcome.

A few good boats that might fit would be:

JK superstar

LL free ride 65

WS fuse 65

and older playboat styles like:

RPM

MR clean

longer slicyer boats fit tall people well.

At 12 stone 6'5 you are tall and thin, so by the time the legs fit the volume is usually to high.

An option for this is to size for volume and make a custom seat.

A good choice would be a superstar from Jackson Kayak.

If you consider outfitting a boat like was done back in the day. mini-cell.

You can make a custom seat that allows you to be further back making more room for your legs.

You only need a few inches and a tall torso will make it easy to keep your weight forward and over the boat.

It is something to consider, I am sure more people will chime in.

Keep us posted

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks bobbuilds a lot to look at, especially the outfittings :) although i am looking for a stubby boat so something like RPMs aren't really what i'm looking at.

i weigh 12 stone colo4o :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am also 6'5" but weight 250 and have a 38" inseam with a 13 foot. I love my jackson superfun. Not the most advanced boat. My son is sa similar build and paddles a dagger Ninjitsu 6.0. Cheers

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm 6'8" 240lbs. Size 15 shoe and 36 inseam. I have a Mon Star and Super Fun. I also fit in a LL Freeride. With your weight you are on the lighter side, but as you get older you will more than likely gain weight. Unfortunately there aren't many options. I've tried getting in many other boats and the only ones I've been able to get in moderately comfortable are the ones I mentioned.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I'm 6' 200 lbs, 34" inseam, size 12 shoe, tree trunk cyclist legs. I've got a project 64, and it sucks trying to throw a boat that big down. However yesterday I did 17 miles in it comfortably. So my recommendation is get the smallest playboat you can.

I paddled the size lower than mine. Getting in is a chore, but hot damn all of a sudden I can throwdown.

Playboats are like climbing shoes, they are supposed to make you cry.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Agreed, get the smallest boat you can fit into. I'm 6'4", 200 lbs and paddle a 4fun. The superfun seems more like a boat for the ~250 lb people, I had trouble getting ends where I wanted them when I tested it.

I love the large Rockstar, too. I took a Jitsu down a 9 mile run and was hurting a little bit by the end.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Find an old WaveSport Big EZ and cram yourself into it.

Then when you hit 35, it will hurt your knees...but that's 20 years away.

6-6", 38" inseam, 185#, Size 13.5's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Have you considered going to a local kayak store and getting in some different boats?
yes i have, the local kayak place doesnt do big play boats, the biggest ive seen there is the project 56 :/

has anyone tried the new wavesport mobius 67?

and sorry colo, didnt realise you meant lbs :/

Whos this Leif guy??

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am about the same size as you, (6'3" 200lbs, size 13, and 34" inseam) and have been paddling (and throwing down easily) the WS Project 62 and Jackson SuperStar. You might also look at the Fluid Dope L; all of these might require some homemade foot blocks, but will fit you fine.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Kokatat makes 2XL drytops and CKS carries them in stock. Ten Mile Creek kayaks in Frisco, CO also has 2XL Kokatat tops. Immersion Research has made sizes up to 3XL in their drytops - they even had a few on closeout on their website not long ago - may still have some. Be wary of NRS sizes- they run small. Their 2XL is much tighter/smaller than Kokatat and IR. Nookie (UK) also makes 2XL tops that are sized generously in the shoulders.

NRS has some river shoes (booties) in size 15 - snug but might work for you?

If anyone know where to score river shoes in 16, or 2xlt dry top that would be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

·
Registered
343 Posts
6'8" 225 38" inseam
Small boats hurt. I felt that I was too far back in the Monstar and the only way to move up would be to put a heat gun to the side of the boat to fit my knees.
I now have a LL free ride that I love for play waves and river running. I can cartwheel it but I may never be able to loop.

I had to take out the outfitting on most boats until they made the Karma. This is the first boat I can fit into with the manufacturers outfitting. Plus I have to move the seat forward from center. Wow

Kokatat will custom fit any item up to 4" on the arms and legs. You should prob get an XL then have the arms extended.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts