Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been Kayaking for 2 years and Im kinda young. What is a good play park for someone who is still getting better. I was thinking Golden?

·
Registered
770 Posts
golden is an awesome play park, although the lower wave has a nasty eddy on river left, still a great time check it out

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'd say yes, but wait for the flows to drop below 5-600 at the most. It's pretty pushy right now.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know it is a little far from the metro area, but Meadow park in Lyon's has a great little play park. Several different feature's to work on skill's and at these flow's there are a couple of good surf spot's. One hole even gives up some nice loop's. All in all a great place to go if you are just getting back into it. Golden is awsome as well, but might feel a little big a these levels. Enjoy, be safe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a horrible Kayaker I've been doin it for 2 years, what about The Confluence Play Park in Denver on the South Platte?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Confluence has its issues, but its a good spot!

Hey!

I'll defend the honor of Confluence Park and the South Platte.

Every major river in colorado has treated sewage in it.
Golden is downstream from Central city, blackhawk, Idaho springs, georgetown, lawson, dumont etc... In some rivers there is a significant amount of agricultural and mining runoff too.

What really affects the South PLatte is untreated stormwater. On days like today there is no stormwater runoff into the river about 75% of the water is coming straight out of chatfield.

So here are some pros and cons for boating Confluence and the South platte. Pros:
1) Warm water
2) convenient
3) No lines in the eddies
4) lots of different features at different water levels.

Cons:
1) Water quality can be an issue - save your drinking for the Bar!
2) You'll want to rinse off your gear and yourself
3) On warm days there may be lots of people swimming & tubing

Anyway, many of the people who carp about Confluence do not boat there. I have boated there since 1987. The water quality is better than it used to be. It is a good place to build your skills, as are all of the other parks....

my $.02
jk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts