Mountain Buzz banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm making a good sized fishing/bench platform for the front of my raft. Is it possible to mount it as a stand alone platform by attaching it to the boat with cam straps to d-rings rather than attaching it to the rowing frame? I never see frame equipment that isn't attached to the main overall frame, is there a reason why?
I'm trying for a very simple addition to my boat.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I’ve tried doing this before with a piece of MDO, and it was alway wobbly hanging from the cam straps. It helps if you have a dry box or cooler in the front bay that it can rest against and if the board is snug against the front tubes. I cut it too small the first time and never remade it but if you plan it out well, I think it could work.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Make a template with cardboard. I like making floors big enough that if the boat was ever to get upside down, the floor won't quite fit through the opening (center to center width between side tubes). Depends a bit on thickness of your material (MDO/HDPE/plywood, etc.) and diameter of your tubes, but it is pretty simple to get it right - and also cuts down/eliminates "wobble." You can snug right up to tubes if you chamfer edges or pad 'em (pool noodle/closed cell foam/whatever - I have a floor in SD Puma made from 1" forming plywood, finished with spar varnish, and edges wrapped with Gorilla tape, works fine). Hang with webbing, I run through 7/8 or 1 inch holes using 2 inch flat washers and SS rings (fancy) or D-rings salvaged from old boats: under the floor, up through the hole and washer&ring, back down and continue on. This also serves as attachment point so you can tie stuff down to the floor.

I can find photos if this isn't clear. Been doing it this way for better than 4 decades and never a problem. Your only issue using MDO or plywood is you will have to strip hardware and sand down every once in a while - depending on how much you 'use 'em - and refinish. HDPE - or the Cadillac of floors, diamond plate welded on top of 3/4 or 1 inch pipe/tubing - need zero maintenance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Make a template with cardboard. I like making floors big enough that if the boat was ever to get upside down, the floor won't quite fit through the opening (center to center width between side tubes). Depends a bit on thickness of your material (MDO/HDPE/plywood, etc.) and diameter of your tubes, but it is pretty simple to get it right - and also cuts down/eliminates "wobble." You can snug right up to tubes if you chamfer edges or pad 'em (pool noodle/closed cell foam/whatever - I have a floor in SD Puma made from 1" forming plywood, finished with spar varnish, and edges wrapped with Gorilla tape, works fine). Hang with webbing, I run through 7/8 or 1 inch holes using 2 inch flat washers and SS rings (fancy) or D-rings salvaged from old boats: under the floor, up through the hole and washer&ring, back down and continue on. This also serves as attachment point so you can tie stuff down to the floor.

I can find photos if this isn't clear. Been doing it this way for better than 4 decades and never a problem. Your only issue using MDO or plywood is you will have to strip hardware and sand down every once in a while - depending on how much you 'use 'em - and refinish. HDPE - or the Cadillac of floors, diamond plate welded on top of 3/4 or 1 inch pipe/tubing - need zero maintenance.
If you could provide photos that would be most helpful! Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
If you could provide photos that would be most helpful! Thank you

Check out this thread. Your only difference is mounting points. So instead of the frame..use d-rings. Might need to add some in particular spots to get the right fit.

Reactions: WatsonMT
1 - 6 of 6 Posts