Mountain Buzz banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, all-I'm taking my brother in law and a friend out this weekend. My brother in law has barely been in his boat and my friend has only been on moving water once. I was going to take them to run Filter Plant, but I'm thinking that 1000+ cfs is a little high for people who are so green. Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Newbe

I am a newbe myself. I have been on moving water a total of 5 times, and the last 3 times have been on the filter plant run. It was great! If your friends know the wet exit and have the basic strokes down they should have a great time. For something more mellow try the Lyons whitewater park. It's a great place to learn basic skills
:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
just take them on the lower half of filter plant. park by mad dog and put in just below it. 1000+ cfs isn't a big deal on the lower half of filter. if they do well on the bottom half and are looking for more adventure then do the entire run. although you might have your hands full if they both swim on you at the same time there are usually so many people running filter.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We ran Filter Plant successfully last year at +1000 cfs with some fairly new paddlers but I think there were a few sections that were too hard. There were lots of swimmers (mostly from paddling classes) and gear, people, etc all over the river below the drops. Kind of daunting for newbies. What about Deckers (S Platte) taking out above the Chutes? I ran that last night and it was a piece of cake - perfect for teaching. Nothing scary at all, lots of eddies. And a beautiful canyon - not as crowded as the Poudre.

·
Super Moderator
3,865 Posts
You may want to consider the Upper Colorado above Dotsero. It'll be running about 3K this weekend and will have good Class II rapids with pools below them.

From Cottonwood Island to Dotsero has about 5 or 6 Class II rapids generally followed by quiet water. The launch and takeout are very easily accessed and its a good reach to hitch the shuttle. Most of the reach can be scouted from the road and anything that can't be scouted before launching isn't any more challanging than what you'll see. To get there take the Dotsero exit, you'll see the take out on the east side of the river. Go north up to Colorado River, pass Lyons Campground (launch there for a shorter run, campsites available) and continue to the Cottonwood Island launch site.

A 1991 BLM Upper Colorado Recreation Area guide has a "fishing access" and then the Burnt Tree Ridge Site a mile and a half and three miles below the Dotsero takeout, respectively. I've never boated below the Dotsero takeout though some of it may be scoutable from I-70

The guidebook has 11 topo coverages from the confluence of the Blue to 5 miles below the Eagle.

Enjoy!

--Andy

·
Registered
33 Posts
personally, I don't like the Lyons WW park for very new boaters because there are too many bushes and trees on the banks in the section above the park, and you're going to chase gear through private land if they swim in the park. Some of the drops move pretty fast.

Filter Plant gives you more space and a wider river, more places to practice peelouts, ferrying etc., a more forgiving run overall. The suggestion to put in below Mad Dog is very good. We have also put in at the regular put-in and then just spent an hour or two working on skills at the first left-hand-turn rapid just downstream. Very good spot for ferrying and peelouts.

·
Registered
688 Posts
It's a bit more of a drive than what others have suggested, but Pumphouse to Radium (of further to Statebridge) is a mellow II. It is SW of Kremling, below Gore Canyon. It is easier than Deckers and Filter but a better view in my opinion. There is even a warm/hot spring river left at Radium. Good camping and probably some live music at Statebridge.
-d

·
Registered
67 Posts
I 2nd Dotsero. That's where BOC starts out their on river class for newbies. It's a very easy stretch with slow flatwater below every rapid and it has lots of eddies in the middle of the rapids to practice with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
poudregrif is right on!

I ran the filter plant this past weekend... and am a newbie. Although I ran the entire section 4 times only swimming once in Turkey Corner. Starting below Maddog will let them get used to flow... then I suspect they will be set for the entire run.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Newbie runs Filter Plant- 2000 cfs

I too am a newbie. My first run on moving water was the filterplant section this morning. Truthfully, it was a bit too much for a first run. Checking streamflows afterwards, I saw that they were around 2000 cfs while I was there. Perhaps this is a bit high for a first timer? Fortunately, I had an awesome partner! (Thanks, TJ) Not giving up though .. any suggestions for anything easier within a couple hours of Laramie, WY while the water is so high?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts